Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien vs. Predator 3 - Alien Reveal Trailer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those that missed it, there will be a demo released soon for this February-bound game:

http://kotaku.com/5444896/rebellion-confirms-aliens-vs-predator-demo

I think I speak for all those interested in this title when I say: "Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck".

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

pixelburp wrote: »
    For those that missed it, there will be a demo released soon for this February-bound game:

http://kotaku.com/5444896/rebellion-confirms-aliens-vs-predator-demo

I think I speak for all those interested in this title when I say: "Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck".

God I hope this is as good as it should be. Rebellion though have an appalling track record of late though. I'm worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Maximilian wrote: »
    God I hope this is as good as it should be. Rebellion though have an appalling track record of late though. I'm worried.

They do indeed. But ive not seen one single video of this that made me go 'uh oh...this isnt looking good'.

BELIEVE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Loved the original game. Played it for hours. Mastering the Alien was very rewarding. The Predator always had way too much health though and his recharging battery meant he was very hard to kill. I'll expect the MP to be very unbalanced and deathmatches will ultimately be filled with predators but the the 2 unique game modes have the potential to save this.

I'm hoping that the single player is as good as the first one was as well with a decent campaign for each of the classes. I look forward to the demo and pray that they can deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

"In the former, a variation of Last Man Standing. all but one player starts as a Marine, with the other starting as a solitary Alien. Every Marine killed then comes back as an Alien, and since they get infinite respawns, the tide of Xenomorphic death can't be stopped - only delayed until you go down in a blaze of glory assisted by a last-minute weapons drop.
    'Aliens vs. Predator' Screenshot 2

In Predator Hunt - and you need no further indication of how overpowered the Predator is than this - there is only ever one Predator, with the rest of the match taking the role of Marines. Whoever manages to kill the Predator becomes it, and the goal is to secure the most kills as the Predator for the glory of the hunt.
    "

Predator hunt was in the origional AvP, but was called Predator Tag, same idea. Used to play it at LAN's quite often, and it was awesome fun! Playing games at about 4am, when it's pitch black, turn all the lights off and play PredTag, so satisfying when your the predator and hear someone jump from across the room :) Or when the predator makes a mistake and gets 3 or 4 marines unloading into him, you can tell who the next predator is when they cheer! Great stuff, would like to enjoy more of the same.

Not sure about last man standing, does it start off with only 1 alien total or will there be a load of AI aliens too? That would be pretty damn fun, otherwise a lone alien would likely get face stomped until he can get some buddies, then it will just snowball and the last few marines will die in no time.

edit: Just read the eurogaemr review in full and they complain that the marine is night on useless basically:
    The Marines' ranged superiority isn't the consolation you might think; they might have assault rifles and shotguns, but Predators get mines, throwing discs with after-touch, and explosive lock-on missiles.

But theres 1 big factor they didn't consider: They were on a PS3
    XBox will have a similar situation I imagine, but PC gamers have their mouse, which allows them to react infinately faster, provides a huge boost to accuracy, and greater environmental awareness (you can't check every corner on the roof on a console without spending the whole game looking at corners - on a PC you can). Now I admit that making the game intrinsically imbalanced for console use probably isn't the wisest thing, but for the PC I think the death match mode will pan out better, the big advantage they listed for ranged predator combat was the lock on - not as big of issue for PC users, and throwing disc's can probably be dodged? Not sure about mechanics, will see when it's out.

If the marine is still at a disadvantage I won't mind a great pile though, he was always the most fun to play in multiplayer! Very satisfying to play as the underdog and try to keep up. Not very good for competitive gaming, but no AvP game has ever been competitive, so no need to start now - their still great fun! The first for its atmosphere and the second for fast paced 3 race frag fest.

• Advertisement

avp1.jpg

avp2.jpg

avp3.jpg

avp4.jpg

avp5.jpg

avp6.jpg

avp7.jpg

avp8.jpg

avp9.jpg

avp10.jpg

BELIEVE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yet another trailer has arrived. I dunno, I think they're trying to tell us something. Perhaps there'll be some gore in this game?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/uk-kill-aliens-vs/60913?type=flv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Those sound effects.. if they are in the game.. sweet jesus

I don't care about the predator stuff.. I just want marines v aliens.. with voice.. and the motion scanners.. I'm taking a week off work sick if this
    thing is as good as it looks

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yet another trailer has arrived. I dunno, I think they're trying to tell us something. Perhaps there'll be some gore in this game?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/uk-kill-aliens-vs/60913?type=flv

That made me laugh. This game better rock after all this hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

stupid australian censorship. the game wont be released here so i guess i cant play it till i move back home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

uglyjohn wrote: »
    stupid australian censorship. the game wont be released here so i guess i cant play it till i move back home :(
    Get someone to buy it and post it?

And if customs are a problem, get them to disguise it! Manuals probably a pdf anyway, so all they'd have to do is paint the disc and remove the sleeve! :pac:

Edit: Oh, small aside. Just noticed Steam has the original for 2.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Fight alongside with friends against hordes of Aliens...

I dunno, although it's something I'm most looking forward to the game, multiplayer is a tough nut to crack & crack right. Often it can be a last-minute, bolted on element with little care or attention.

A horde mode with Aliens & Colonial Marines? Absolute, unbridled WIN :eek:

Achievements are up (possible spoilers)

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/aliens-v-predator/achievements/

PC specs

Minimum Requirements:
    Windows 7/ XP/Vista
    1 GB System RAM (XP)/ 2 GB System RAM (Vista)
    3.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4/Athlon 64 3000+ or equivalent processor
    DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 128 MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better, ATI X1600 or better)

Recommended Requirements:
    Windows 7/ XP/Vista
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 or equivalent processor
    2 GB System RAM
    DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI HD2900 PRO or better)

Survivor mode detailed:
    Survivor pits one to four players up against a horde of Aliens, their numbers growing and more deadly breeds introduced as the wave number increases. It's a premise that's familiar from any blockbusting action game of the last couple of years, and Gears of War 2's Horde mode is but one of many examples of the art of gunning down ever increasing numbers of adversaries.

So while the idea may not shatter the earth, the execution is impeccable. And to Aliens vs. Predator's eternal credit, Gears of War 2's Horde mode and the many imitators that followed in its wake have had neither an authentic sounding Pulse Rifle, swarms of some of the most iconic beasts in cinema history or the escalating bleeps of a motion tracker to soundtrack its action.

These elements come together best in C-Block, one of the two maps that's shipping with the game (two others will be available on release as downloadable content, free to those who take the plunge with the collector's edition). This is a level ripped straight from the most memorable moments of Aliens, taking place in the corridors of a colony that's reeling from an Alien attack

After a handful of waves the C-Block opens up, a cargo door revealing another arena and a stairwell to defend. It's both a blessing and a curse, freeing the player from the confines of the initial corridor but making them all the more vulnerable to attack from multiple angles.

The second bundled level with Aliens vs. Predator - Mausoleum - exaggerates further the interplay between light and dark. Here, a central spot in a temple interior is illuminated by a single opening in the ceiling, which itself forms an ideal entry point for Aliens. This means there's one single shaft of light, creating a small patch of respite from the dark and all the beasts it might contain.

When four players are involved there's an element of light strategy - although it's no more complex than staying as a group to enhance the chance of survival. There's a scoring system that also adds a competitive element, with multipliers available for kill streaks and with the reward for Alien scalps increasing as more and more waves attack.

And while the mode is no doubt at its best with four players, it's still a thrill when played solo - so much so that we literally begged Rebellion to let us play more when we first got our hands on survivor.

Survivor mode video:

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14322168/aliens-vs-predator-2009/videos/Survivor_1.html;jsessionid=fer7jnlaqsn8q

First 10 minutes of marine campaign (spoilers)

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/aliens-vs-predator-xbox-360/338236

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Will this game have split-screen co-op? Even in the Survivor mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I blame COD for those goddamn annoying blurry half dead FPS cutscenes, they're getting very annoying... should I keep my hands on the keyboard and mouse ready or just sit back and watch?
    MW2: Is it a cutscene or am I supposed to be pressing E to pull the knife out of my gut? Make up your bloody mind.

Wow, a whole two maps? They're really spoiling us. And seeing that any further maps are probably going to be DLC (maybe more than the first few will be free for the Collectros, doubt it though), that means it's highly unlikely they'll be releasing an editor so the community can make their own.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

0ubliette wrote: »

been looking forward to this game for ages. watched about a min of the movie and then wondered is it worth buying if im gona be a coward and sit in the corner of that first room, waiting for help to come and take me home....:o......FFS not only have you got to fight aliens and predators but you couldnt even make it through the initial landing....after that pipe burst i turned it off to avoid any spoilers *i may have just crapped my pants*

2 initial maps for that mode is a bit poor to be honest, but over the horizon I can see DLC raising it's ugly, overused head. Expect DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I've been waiting for this for so long! I remember when AvP 2 came out, it was one of the few PC games I actually played start to finish. Though I remember asking a friend to play a few levels of the Marine campaign first cos it scared the hell outta me..!

Will this be available for download I wonder? The horde mode sounds awesome.

Elessar wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this for so long! I remember when AvP 2 came out, it was one of the few PC games I actually played start to finish. Though I remember asking a friend to play a few levels of the Marine campaign first cos it scared the hell outta me..!

Will this be available for download I wonder? The horde mode sounds awesome.
    It's available through Steam, if that's what you mean?

Nevore wrote: »
    It's available through Steam, if that's what you mean?

Sweet, I may end up actually paying for this game ;)

If steam has it G2play will have it too, much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Elessar wrote: »
    Sweet, I may end up actually paying for this game ;)

If steam has it G2play will have it too, much cheaper.

fyi - It is ridiculously expensive on Steam, €49.99 whereas I pre-ordered on Play.com for €23.49, save yourself some money :)

I saw that on Play aswell, is that the cheapest around atm?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

From the bits of gameplay I don't think the single player looks great so far :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Is it me or do the aliens really need to be faster? Never mind the fact that a marine with a pistol seemed to have no trouble taking on 3 at a time, often with his bare hands.

Also, the shotgun doesn't look great. And I swear the quality of a FPS is directly related to how satisfying the shotgun is.

I hate to say it, I really do, but I'm not convinced it'll be any good at all.

The AI looks a little ropey & melée'ing aliens is just plain wrong (even if Vasquez technically did it in Aliens). I'm not that impressed at the moment, I suppose we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The AI looks a little ropey & melée'ing aliens is just plain wrong (even if Vasquez technically did it in Aliens). I'm not that impressed at the moment, I suppose we'll see.

Well the melee'ing is necessary i guess, otherwise aliens would be able to just pounce you and savage you, if youre being 100% faithful to the films then you wouldnt stand a chance agaisnt them pulse rifles or no. You have to make some concessions to make a game fun.

Advertisement