Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien vs. Predator 3 - Alien Reveal Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I agree about the melee. In that clip the alien gets bashed 3 times in a row. Once with a long cooldown would be better. The point of the alien is that once they are that close – it's too late.

Would have been nice if they could have got destructible corridor grates for the alien acid, even if it was just cosmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Elessar wrote: »

Not impressed at all. Walking over the dead Alien bodies didn't seem to cause the marine to take damage. I hope that's fixed in the final release.

Oh and the Aliens seem about as dangerous as Mole rats in Fallout 3 :(

They should be faster, and a lot more difficult to kill. I would of preferred if they just had 1 Alien that stalked you, and you had to keep fending it off at numerous points by injuring it. Easily killing Aliens with the butt of your gun goes against the whole ethos of the Alien series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At only 2.99, I couldn't resist picking up AvP1 (re-named AvP Classic 2000 for some reason) on Steam. Now that was / is one tough cookie. A complete absence of plot & advanced graphics, yet it's a game that still manages to make me nervous of every blip on the radar and every poorly lit corridor.

The tension is somewhat ruined by the hilariously bad FMV though (Rebellion staff speaking their lines to the camera in fake American accents).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

pixelburp wrote: »
    At only 2.99, I couldn't resist picking up AvP1 (re-named AvP Classic 2000 for some reason) on Steam. Now that was / is one tough cookie. A complete absence of plot & advanced graphics, yet it's a game that still manages to make me nervous of every blip on the radar and every poorly lit corridor.

The tension is somewhat ruined by the hilariously bad FMV though (Rebellion staff speaking their lines to the camera in fake American accents).

When i first got a win xp computer capable of playing AVP1, i loaded the marine campaign, and watched in horror as the game crashed and looped the horrible FMV dialogue over, and over, and over... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Hmm yeah not impressed by that footage at all. Unless my memories have been corrupted I remember it being game over when the aliens got close in the previous games. I don't like this meleeing business at all. Also the acid blood seems almost non existent. Thing about playing as the marine before was that it was really ****ing difficult. The alien had speed, corrosive killing blood and if it got close it was pretty much the end. Hopefully you'll get the option of using a higher difficulty that doesn't use the melee function.

Obviously I'm gonna wait and see what the finished game brings but for me the real litmus test is going to be the facehuggers. If they're not a one hit kill then forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Creature wrote: »
    Hmm yeah not impressed by that footage at all. Unless my memories have been corrupted I remember it being game over when the aliens got close in the previous games. I don't like this meleeing business at all. Also the acid blood seems almost non existent. Thing about playing as the marine before was that it was really ****ing difficult. The alien had speed, corrosive killing blood and if it got close it was pretty much the end. Hopefully you'll get the option of using a higher difficulty that doesn't use the melee function.
    You're correct; having played the original only last night, I can confirm you're dead in a second if an Alien gets anywhere near you. And that's only on "normal" difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

wasnt it only really the dog alien in 3 that was fairly fast though? the other 2 original alien movies, the aliens either hunted in packs (at normal enough speed) or ambushed their prey iirc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Aliens seem about as threatening as the grunts in Halo. I the old games once they got close you were ****ed. I can't see them working in MP if they are so underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

You do take damage from walking over fresh Alien corpses. Shows it quite clearly in this video.

As for the AI, Alien speed etc, wait until the release version before commenting. We don't yet know how play scales on different difficulty levels.

Don't expect a game as fast as the original AvP on pc, that came out in an era of twitch fps, this one has to deal with slow console aiming.

Having watched some of the Predator campaign I'm pretty impressed with how that's shaping up. The voice distracting and focus jumping actually work really well, and the marines can see through your cloaking if you get too close. The focus jumping in particular wipes the floor with the Super Mario crouch jump in AvP2.

I refuse to watch too much of the campaign as i dont want to spoil this too much, but that opening minute or so looked great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Playing through AvP2 at the minute, still good if not a little silly looking now.

I hope that video is an old code, it looked great until the Aliens showed up, they looked a bit silly when standing and near the player, their general interaction with the game looked a bit retro, hoping its just poor video quality or something they were going to finish at the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Im getting pretty excited about this game now, looking forward to it being released.

Predator Gamepaly (no spoilers)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I really couldn't give a toss about the Predator and will try to avoid that part of the game..

Alien and Aliens are masterpieces, unfortunately idiots came along and tried to recreate those classics with numerous sequels that are all utter rubbish.

The same has happened with the PC games to a lesser extent.

The sad thing is, so many of us know exactly what we want, yet they never seem to be able to capture it in the video games.

I can already tell that this upcoming game has the sounds spot on.. trust me, a big step in the right direction..

The next part, the most tricky, is the atmosphere.. if they get that right, then I will be impressed..

Actually, no, I won't be impressed, they've had years to do this.. and all that melee weapon stuff against Aliens is already annoying me.. all I think of is some American guy in a baseball cap turned backwards at a meeting, who's only ever seen one of the Alien v Predator films, saying, "Wow wouldn't it be awesome if they could like smack the aliens with the butt of their like gun and stuff.."

AAAAAAAAArrrrghh GET IT RIGHT FFS

okay rant over, fingers crossed it won't be a pile of cack, don't get my hopes up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Predator Gamepaly (no spoilers)

I like how the Alien isnt picked up on that vision mode only the marines, hopefully is works the other way around also.

Here is a fan review by someone who went to the AvP event and posted this on the Steam Forum.

Its pretty good. Enjoy.

"The event was held by SEGA, the company we know and love, and a company called Astro Gaming, they specialize in high-end gaming equipment. That being so, while trying out the game, we were able to use their killer A40 Headset series, which was quite a treat. By far the best headset I've ever used.

The Event was hosted on the first floor of Astro Gamings' studio building in San Francisco, a fairly large floor, easily able to accommodate the 10 of us who were invited to try out the game. 10 32' TVs' lined up back to back, 5 on each side, typical set-up for a small scale, professional "LAN party". I got there first, and got to spend a little time with SEGAs' assistant community manager Aaron Webber, and got a feel of what the event was going to consist of.

After a good 20 min of hanging out there with the SEGA crew, another participant showed up, and the SEGA crew went to go greet them. This gave me time to gather myself before the event, and go over the controls, weapons, and abilities of each species; this was vital.

Another 10 - 15 minutes pass, and the room had grown in population by quite a bit. Tim Jones of Rebellion had shown up and began mingling and answering small questions about the game, and right about then the food finally arrived burritos, sandwiches, chips & salsa, cookies, and soda; Gamer Fuel.

About 20 min later, everyone had shown up, and was ready to play. The 360s were already fired up, and we took our seats. We were given the chance to play through the tutorial levels of each of the species.

Now, most of you will be getting the game, and I despise spoilers, so I will explain what I experienced in gameplay, not story line. Then I will explain gameplay in multiplayer.

---

The first one I chose was the Alien.
    The movement controls for the Alien, even on a 360 (I'm a PC gamer mainly), were phenomenal. It was so fluid, running low to the ground, scaling the walls, to the ceiling and back to the floor, quickly, and with no interrupting "transition" button to press, although at first, insanely disorienting, but it only took me about 10 min to get used to it. Also, aiming at a ceiling or wall and hitting the jump button instantly transfers you to your destination, and latches you on, pretty useful, pretty cool. The combat was intense and fairly quick. All melee, each species has a hard hit, which takes a while but does more damage, and a light hit which is quick and does less damage. The Alien also has an "enemy vision"(?) which outlines an enemies' silhouette. You can also destroy lights in the environment to give yourself better dark cover to hide in. Trophy kills are amazing, and ever-so-satisfying, they also heal you, as does time.

Second choice was the Predator.
    Movement was much slower then the alien by far, so after the last tutorial it felt like I was playing in slow motion. But beyond that it handled great...for a controller. Far more complex then the other species, the Predator is equipped with 3 different vision modes, Regular Vision, Heat Vision (see human heat sources), and Alien vision (highlights alien prey), as well as the ability to zoom your vision while using any of these. Cloaking, which fools AI fairly well, activates quick, and seems to be disabled by interacting with water. The distraction feature works great, with hilarious results. Aiming where you want to distract an enemy, you throw your voice in a certain area, and the enemy follows, ready to be ambushed. The Predators amazing jumping ability is fun to use, but in single player is slightly limited to where you can use it, but not too much so to make it frustrating. The predator heals himself with health shards, takes about 3 seconds. Right when I started to think I might be getting the hang of the Predator, it was time to try out...

The Marine
    Controls for the Marine were slow, and somewhat clunky, but once again, the 360 controller may be skewing the results. The Marine is well under-equipped: Flashlight, Flares, Motion Tracker, and Health Stims. All seem self explanatory, but I'll describe them as I experienced them. The flashlight is fairly useful, and does a decent job of lighting up the dark, creepy environment. Flares feel somewhat useless, but I didn't play the Marine single player long enough to use it in an intense fight. They light up a good portion, but last about 5 seconds. The motion tracker, while infinitely useful, is pretty damn annoying. It makes a ticking noise every time it pings the area, kind of like the sound of water drops falling on a stack of paper, and gives off a sound which increases in pitch as the enemy gets closer to you. It does it's job well, but could use some tweaking in sound for sure. Health stims, like the Predator, are used to heal yourself, takes about 3 second. The Marine felt, by far, like the most helpless species. Walking down corridors, popping off flares, and hearing sounds all around you. All while your radar constantly ticks in the background, it definitely ads some eeriness to the game. Combat is sporadic, and very intense...I have never been so freaked in a FPS since F.E.A.R., and the game really brings you into that scary environment. The Marines do, however, have a ton of weapons to choose from. Again, not playing much of the single player, after a good 10 min chunk of scurrying around with the pulse rifle, trying to survive, it was time for Multiplayer.

---

Multiplayer.
    This was the majority of what we played, they wanted us to get together and game on these machines to see how a group of on-dev players would enjoy a "LAN Party" experience, and we enjoyed it greatly.

Certain differences must be noted about multiplayer however, and these are all strictly from my experience, so I may be somewhat wrong in my observations, but I like to think I payed close attention to the details. The Marine cannot use flares in multiplayer, my guess is that it would be a hit on hardware for
    10 - 16 people dropping flares all in one place, this could be different on PC. All the distraction abilities of the species are not in multiplayer, mainly because they would be useless, and even if they were in multiplayer, the action is so high paced at times you wouldn't get the chance to use it. The Aliens' ability to take out light sources is not in multiplayer, I would guess that was introduced to keep all levels of fairness equal across all species. As far as weapons, they are scattered around the levels, each species starts with their standard weapons, but additional weapons and ammo must be found on the maps, as well as stim packs/health shards, the Alien, of course, does not use/require weapons. Also, regarding the Predator cloaking in multiplayer, while at a distance it is very hard to
    see, but still gives off a flicker effect, which if trained, the eye can catch on to it fairly easily, and it is especially noticeable at close range (10-20 ft.), you cannot just stand in front of someone cloaked and stay unnoticed, but it works great in the right situations.

I would also like to address Trophy Kills, while beautiful, and amazingly ever-so-satisfying, they are very dangerous in a multiplayer match. You are extremely vulnerable while performing one, so you must choose the right time to pull one off, kind of nice though, adds more skill to the game, in my opinion, makes it so you have to time things better, and watch your surroundings if you don't want to immediately die right after your Trophy Kill(TK? I know it also stands for team kill, but I don't feel like typing Trophy Kill every time I want to address it). Also, like in single player, you must be at a specific distance to perform a TK, not too close, not too far, it takes a
    bit of practice to find that sweet spot when the indicator pops up telling you you can perform one, differs per species as well, after 3 hours of playing it was still difficult for me to confidently approach an enemy and know I was close enough to preform a TK.

Modes I played:

Death Match
    Death Match was extremely fun, I wish I was playing it RIGHT NOW. Intense action from every angle, you MUST WATCH YOUR , or it will be shot/bit off...all versus all is just hectic, aliens scattering around the walls,
    predators cloaking and jumping from ledge to ledge, and Marines shooting down every corridor; and you can't trust anyone. It's tough to get the hang of it at first but a blast once you get your bearings.

Infestation
    This one is great, some may compare it to a "Zombie Mod" for counterstrike or halo. One player starts as an Alien, the rest Marines. Teamwork is key, once an Alien gets a kill, that Marine becomes an Alien, rinse/repeat until all the Marines are wiped out, so its best to stick together. This game starts out slow
    until the one playing the Alien figures out a good attack strategy, or picks off a lone Marine while they are wandering off from the group. Once one gets turned the game picks up pretty fast, and gets increasingly intense.

Domination
    Typical control point game type, but split by species. Kill, capture, defend. The points glow in the color of your species, so you can see which points are yours from a decent distance. Once again, teamwork is key.

Predator Hunt
    This is your typical Juggernaut game type, all Marines, and one is chosen to be the Predator. You get points by getting kills as the Predator. If you kill the Predator you also get a point, you become him, and replace the old one. You also have a timer as the Predator, and if you don't get a kill in that time, I believe you loose the Predator position, I cannot confirm this however, due to never witnessing this happening.

Survivor
    The only "co-op" mode. Pits up to 4 Marines to battle endless waves of progressively harder/stronger Aliens. This gets pretty crazy. The arenas that survivor offers are intense, some with lights spinning around everywhere, some with dark, dark areas, some with changing environments. This mode keeps you on your
    toes. Once someone dies they're out, and cannot come back until everyone dies off.

---

Cons
    So, I know you're all thinking, wow, that all sounds...great! But there has to be cons, there has to be a downside.The only "bug" I noticed/found was Marines guns firing off all their rounds after they died while on the ground, but this could very well be done on purpose, there's no real way to tell, but it does seem natural. Other then that I found no glitches, no other bugs, nothing that makes this game seem rushed in any way. They seemed to have crossed all their T's and dotted all their...lower case j's...The controls bothered me due to aiming reasons with guns, and with Alien "Surface Transition" jumping, you have to be aiming just right, but again, and I can't stress this enough, I'm a PC gamer, putting me on that 360 was just brutal, but I gladly accepted the opportunity regardless, it can only be better on PC, I CANNOT WAIT. Also, I'm still stoked I got to play the game, and that may skew my view of it, not
    likely though..but if I remember anything that may be considered a con, I will add it here, rest assured.

---

Hope this has been helpful, the Q&A section can be found below. I will probably come through and tweak some of this thread and info as it is late, it's been a long day, and I'm writing this up whilst very tired, but the info is still fresh in my head so I thought I'd get it out there."

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Here is a fan review by someone who went to the AvP event and posted this on the Steam Forum.

The motion tracker, while infinitely useful, is pretty damn annoying. It makes a ticking noise every time it pings the area, kind of like the sound of water drops falling on a stack of paper, and gives off a sound which increases in pitch as the enemy gets closer to you. It does it's job well, but could use some tweaking in sound for sure.

facepalm.jpg

I dont get it?

I think the review was getting at the point that this sound is always switched on and the sound can get very anoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I dont get it?

I think the review was getting at the point that this sound is always switched on and the sound can get very anoying.

It was like that in Alien vs Predator classic if I remember . . . I dont mind it anyway. It makes the game atmospheric in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thats pretty much exactly like a motion tracker from Alien should sound like. Nothing worse then slowly walking through a corridor, seeing a white dot with that sound, only to find a swinging crane or a door opening. You turn around, and 5+ dots are racing towards you, with you backpeddling and spraying your little remaining ammo into the walls, while freaking out.

True story :P

For those interested & bought AVP Classic, the latest patch has unlocked & enabled the multiplayer. I have just come from a game, ah happy memories (though dear god the players shot around the map like olympic athletes :p)

Just Per-Ordered mine on www.play.com for €23.49 including delivery.

It also comes with the unique skins that Steam are offering.

Demo is confirmed and is rumored to come out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

DO WANT

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I dont get it?

He's complaining that the motion trackers etc. sound precisely like they did in the movies. It's a bit like someone saying "I like that there's guns in this game but I hate the way the make BANG noises, I think a Saxaphone note, maybe F sharp would sound much better"

Yes its probably always ticking away but that was a big tension builder in both Aliens and the original AvP.

Maximilian wrote: »
    He's complaining that the motion trackers etc. sound precisely like they did in the movies. It's a bit like someone saying "I like that there's guns in this game but I hate the way the make BANG noises, I think a Saxaphone note, maybe F sharp would sound much better"

Yes its probably always ticking away but that was a big tension builder in both Aliens and the original AvP.

Actually.

That would be better. It would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I want to play this Tuba wars game. Where do I buy it from?

Just Per-Ordered mine on www.play.com for €23.49 including delivery.

Did the same thing myself, very reasonable price to be honest.

• Advertisement

But but but ... what if it's crap? :(

Advertisement