Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien vs. Predator 3 - Alien Reveal Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone connect to any games?

mine just sitting there searching :confused:

hehehe thats quite fun :D

Very fast paced only Deathmatch is available up to 8 players in the demo.

I got to be the Alien got a few kills but bit hard getting used to jumping on the walls. Marines can nail you from a distance quite easily so sneaky sneaky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

dreamers75 wrote: »
    hehehe thats quite fun :D

Very fast paced only Deathmatch is available up to 8 players in the demo.

I got to be the Alien got a few kills but bit hard getting used to jumping on the walls. Marines can nail you from a distance quite easily so sneaky sneaky :)
    And so we have our first positive impression :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

For people struggling tog et to grips with the controls, one of the devs of AVP posts on rllmuk, and posted this video to help people get an idea of how the game should work, as he himself said he was annoyed that there isnt much explanation or tutorial in the demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL7VrU6upCA
    COMBAT VIDEO

Earlier on I mentioned one that should have been out in advance of the demo so people had a preview of the various attacks and defences and how to pull them off.

Definitely recommend anyone who already has or is planning to play take a look since it'll help a lot!

Not much use for pc :D

Keeps telling me in game to press mouse 3 for transition, doesnt seem to work :confused:

Marine is fooking scary, death can com form any direction. Fine if you can keep the aliens about 20 feet away they dont stand a chance. Killing the predator is a cover and fire type thing, you have a machine gun :D . Have yet to try the predator game searching takes a while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Also on xbox and psn,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'm on Steam and still can't connect to any games, is there just no servers running it or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

So is it any good, might get it later on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Downloading now. Looking forward to trying it out.

Creature wrote: »
    I'm on Steam and still can't connect to any games, is there just no servers running it or what?

takes a while to get in, can host if you have mates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Gave it a spin, its a good game. Only has a plain Deathmatch mode which is a bit silly in an AvP game, wasnt fun to take on 2 Aliens as a lone predator only for another Pred to run up and stab me in the back half way through the fight.

Played as Alien and Pred, Alien is the same as always, fast, scuttling across walls. Aim reticule indicates whether you can jump to a surface, auto-translate is default off though (why so??? its vital playing as an Alien).
    In the demo at least, Predator only has his wrist blades (since there was no limit on who can play what class). Moving is nice as the Pred, hold Shift and a reticule shows where your looking and space jumps there if its viable. Vision modes are always great.
    Both had a instant kill from behind by pressing E, pretty much similar to backstabbing in most other shooters, dunno if modified by the victims health or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

i hope this is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Jumps from waiting 5 minutes and nothing to 10 seconds and in a match, just cancel and retry if goes over a minute of searching.

I liked it, even though straight deathmatch ruins the concept of 3 different species. Was kinda "meh" on AvP before but from the demo it has a lot of potential. Plus the online modes like Infestation and Swarm look great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Not working on PSN anyway. Says searching for games then nothing happens.

Edit: Working now, got to play as the Alien. Pretty cool running up the walls and stuff, the graphics are pretty poor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Gief reveiw! I heard that the PC controls aren't great...

Gief reveiw! I heard that the PC controls aren't great...

Acquired taste :p

Takes a while to get used to them, not a great looking game but more optimistic this will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Acquired taste :p

Takes a while to get used to them, not a great looking game but more optimistic this will be good.

Yeah it takes a few mins to get used to it. Well this is only a pre release version running on dx9 so hopefully the actual thing looks a bit better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If you join this group http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AVPI

And then enter group chat and ask for a invite, you should get into a game fairly fast,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Rebellion released a PR about the matchmaking issues, they are working on it.

Also they confirmed again that the full release will have dedicated servers.

How do you become the host or is random?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Mine is constantly stuck on "searching for games" :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played for a bit there, is good fun. Tough getting the hang of the Alien, but i'd say once you do it would be very effective. Predator was good fun too, but i couldnt figure out how to change weapons.

Kiith wrote: »
    Played for a bit there, is good fun. Tough getting the hang of the Alien, but i'd say once you do it would be very effective. Predator was good fun too, but i couldnt figure out how to change weapons.

That's because most people are running around the ground, i won a game with an alien earlier(which seems to be rare) and i was mainly sticking to the roofs, and striking down on people, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Ps3 players add me i need to play this game, marko93101

serious sound issue on PC if you using Mumble, hopefully the ingame VON can be disabled in the full game.

2nd best demo i ever played :D Bf42 being the 1st.

Defintley buying when its out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Played both Xbox360 and PC versions, The Alien is easier to maneuver with the mouse and keyboard, The Xbox360 version is grainy in graphics and makes it hard to see enemy's at distances, The PC version looks very pretty on high spec! :rolleyes: The matchmaking was easier on the Xbox.

Anyone notice that bug with the marines guns still firing when they are dead? There's also another issue with being able to see blood from kills through walls, So you can quickly run to the scene of a crime and kill off the survivor.

I got that marines still shooting after death bug too. On 360.
    Played about a half hour or so last night and it was equally frustrating and brilliant. Frustrations: Controls. The Alien is a slippery beast tog et to grips with. But by the end i was getting alot better and had gotten the hang of clinging to ceilings almost exclusively and staying off the ground as much as possible. Also realised that using the focus jump is the best way to try and kill anything.
    The Predator, i had no clue how to do anything, aside form use the blades. Marines i didnt get to use thanks to the game not telling you how the hell you change races in the lobby.

Brilliance: sneaking up on an unsuspecting predator, whos hiding int he rafters trying to snipe people with his plasmacaster thingy, and skewering him with your tail and pulling off a flawless stealth kill. Leaping down from ceilings onto unsuspecting marines and ripping their throats out :D

At the moment its all a bit hectic tho thanks to it being DM and not Species DM. I think species DM will be alot more enjoyable, as i lost count of how many times i got a perfect stealth kill on a predator or marine only to have one of my own kind stab me right in the back as i was doing it. So far anyway, its a positive first impression and has done nothing to put me off buying the full game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think DM was a bad idea to run the demo with; it's too unfocused and random so it's hard to appreciate the subtleties of each species when you're just indiscriminately blasting at anything (or anything moving on my radar in my case).

I am cautiously happy overall; it still played well, so I'm keen to play the meatier & more worthwhile multiplayer game-types (baffled why they went with generic DM for the demo).

As a negative, aside from being very glitchy (weird movement & animation bugs), as a PC gamer I found the controls a bit heavy (but with the caveat that I was playing as a marine), and lacking any smoothness. I tweaked the settings but still found them a bit too ... I dunno, hefty?

Advertisement