Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien vs. Predator 3 - Alien Reveal Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think DM was a bad idea to run the demo with; it's too unfocused and random so it's hard to appreciate the subtleties of each species when you're just indiscriminately blasting at anything (or anything moving on my radar in my case).

I am cautiously happy overall; it still played well, so I'm keen to play the meatier & more worthwhile multiplayer game-types (baffled why they went with generic DM for the demo).

As a negative, aside from being very glitchy (weird movement & animation bugs), as a PC gamer I found the controls a bit heavy (but with the caveat that I was playing as a marine), and lacking any smoothness. I tweaked the settings but still found them a bit too ... I dunno, hefty?

Yeah, agree with both points; controls are very "consoley" and DM match was a bad idea for the demo. The devs were saying how the shooter market was very crowded and that they needed the to sell the game on unique game types. They should have shown off a couple of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Myself and a few like minded strangers would do a species gang up (as either aliens or marines) which was crazy fun. Hearing someone scream as three aliens pounce on him is hilarious. Being a marine is rough but lots of fun. Pred was really difficult and the aliens made it really hard to gather the weapons and get a chance to unload them.

First impressions were weak graphics but after a while i got into it and really began to love it.

Definately buy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Didn't get a chance to play as a pred. Enjoyed it but deffo grumpy about DM being the choice. What's the point in trying to play to the class strengths when your own 'side' kill you from behind.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

A bunch of us played this last night. Despite some initial misgivings I think it's quite good. I'll be buying the full game.

I like the buzzing sounds too. Especially when harmonised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah the demo is definitely more fun if the players of the same species make the effort to work together and not kill each other. Only thing is everybody wants to be the Alien.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mixed feelings about this. Played the PC demo.

Controls are horrible. It takes an age to pick up a weapon, and transitioning between surfaces as an Alien is horrendous, it should be fluid and not require any additional button press. Jumping as an alien is also horrible as half the time you end up sticking to some surface and getting turned around.

The Predators are good, but I'm going to have to completely reconfigure their controls. Their auto jumping is also a pain when you are trying to kill them as a marine or alien, as they can just quickly jump to somewhere out of line of site and you have no real easy way to quickly follow them.

The biggest issue with the marines is having to stand still for 2 seconds to pick up a weapon. The number of times I did that and ended up just getting a predator or alien come up behind me and insta-kill me.

Graphically, it looks horrible. But I'm hoping this is just some ploy (like with DX9 Crysis) to try and sell DX11 as being a huge leap forward. I've a feeling they've purposefully capped the graphics in the DX9 version to make the DX11 version look a lot better.

All that being said, it holds fairly true to the MP of AvP2, and it was fun in parts. Being a Marine and seeing a blip on my radar getting closer and not being able to see it and then suddenly seeing the death animation as an alien killed me from the ceiling was a highlight.

Won't be a day 1 purchase for me, but if it gets a decent price cut in the next steam sale I'll pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

L31mrod, play.com are selling it for €23 with the same package as Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

You can turn on auto transition in the options, haven't a clue why its set to off though :confused:

Despite the demos flaws i have been having a blast playing, will probably pick it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Controls are horrible. It takes an age to pick up a weapon, and transitioning between surfaces as an Alien is horrendous, it should be fluid and not require any additional button press. Jumping as an alien is also horrible as half the time you end up sticking to some surface and getting turned around.

Agreed, picking up ammo / weapons is so unintuitive it's incredible it got past QA. Half the time I wasn't sure I had actually picked up the weapon, and to then introduce the idiotic "hold E to pick up" mechanic into a fast-paced multiplayer situation, boggles the mind. Would it have taken that much extra coding to make pick-up instant for PC gamers a bit more used to a fast-pace? Bloody console gamers.

the idiotic "hold E to pick up" mechanic into a fast-paced multiplayer situation, boggles the mind.

It's a camping Predators dream. You just sit there over the glowing weapon location and wait for someone to run over and stand still for you as you line up your reticule over their face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Agreed, picking up ammo / weapons is so unintuitive it's incredible it got past QA. Half the time I wasn't sure I had actually picked up the weapon, and to then introduce the idiotic "hold E to pick up" mechanic into a fast-paced multiplayer situation, boggles the mind. Would it have taken that much extra coding to make pick-up instant for PC gamers a bit more used to a fast-pace? Bloody console gamers.

almost same experiences - pre-ordered already tho and dont regret it - what boggles the mind is how do console gamers put up with this matchmaking sh**e?. I am getting a feckin ulcer sitting in a lobby being forced to listen to some twat breathing heavy into his voice-activated mic - after 5 mins of waiting i get into a game - 4 minutes in the host leaves and it dumps me back out into the main menu - what a crock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Wait....theres weapons for the Predator lying around the map??? Was wondering why he only got the wristblades.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Wait....theres weapons for the Predator lying around the map??? Was wondering why he only got the wristblades.

Yeah and the controls are odd. Where as mouse 1 would usually be for firing a weapon, it's now a melee attack, and whereas mouse 3 is usually for your melee attack they've mapped it to firing your weapon.

... and what the hell is with pressing mouse 1 + mouse 2 for block :confused: it's console sh!t. I actually have a mind to try the steam demo with my 360 controller to see how it plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Does the noise when you select a menu option drive anyone else crazy? It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, makes me feel really uncomfortable.

And FFA is such a terrible mode to demo the game with. Would have rather had species deathmatch.

I've only played Marine and Alien so far, no desire to play Predator in FFA really. Marine was ok, if something was in front of me it died, anywhere else and I died. Hard to block and counter aliens in near pitch darkness. I got the hang of how the Alien moved around and attacked, then I remembered there was a sprint button. Hilariously fast! I had a ****ing great time stalking around, if I accidentally found myself head-on with a marine a quick sprint and I was gone in a blink, the only times I got killed were by other aliens (who I wasn't watching out for tbh).

I can see the potential here for the final release, I'm just a bit confused as to why they chose FFA to demo the game. Makes no sense in any way. Also I wish my laptop could run the game because dedicated servers would be nice :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This close to release though, I'm not confident that these bugs and glitches will be fixed for launch (have the DVDs been pressed yet? I wonder when the point of no return is for digital distribution).

Whether multiplayer lives or dies will depend on support & patches.

This close to release though, I'm not confident that these bugs and glitches will be fixed for launch (have the DVDs been pressed yet? I wonder when the point of no return is for digital distribution).

Whether multiplayer lives or dies will depend on support & patches.

The Demo that is out is roughly 8-10 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yeah i heard it was the same one they used at e3, which is pretty shocking tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The demo came out 2 days ago. Why would they use a build from that long ago?

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Does the noise when you select a menu option drive anyone else crazy? It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, makes me feel really uncomfortable.

Yeah the menu noises are awful, it's just constant sound popping, static and, what can only be described as the crackling sound of burning cellulose film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I thought there was going to be a single player taster aswell. Ah well.

• Advertisement

played some more there with some re-jigged controls and it was a lot better. They also seem to of patched it and it appears weapons get picked up faster now (at least I felt they did)

The inability to mute people in the lobby is a pain, thank goodness my KB has an audio mute button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I'm liking it so far. I must admit that for a multi-platform game, mouse controls are rock solid; no mouse acceleration nonsense. While I'm not sure the MP will have longevity, I reckon the single player campaign will be a lot of fun and worth the €20 that the PC version costs.

P.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

oceanclub wrote: »
    I'm liking it so far. I must admit that for a multi-platform game, mouse controls are rock solid; no mouse acceleration nonsense. While I'm not sure the MP will have longevity, I reckon the single player campaign will be a lot of fun and worth the €20 that the PC version costs.

P.

€20 is pretty damn cheap. Might get me a copy when it's released even though I have a tonne of games to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Its a nightmare tryin to play as alien on xbox 360.
    Then when ye play against them ye get raped everywhere.
    Also...only up to 8 ppl get to play in the demo, and ye NEVER get to be predator (only 2 allowed) and someone else always seems to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Where do you get it for 20 lads? Play.com?

Means waiting 2 feckin weeks for the game though.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Steam price is a joke.

Saw this: http://www.gamesplanet.com/UK/pc-games/buy-download-Alien-Vs-Predator-1728-13.html

Anyone used these guys before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Had a quick bash of it last night on the PC. I'm liking it so far, nothing spectacular but it has potential.

Only played as the Predator and Alien. One main gripe I have with the Alien is that it has shag all pounce, maybe i'm just not doing it right but it's terrible ! That was the best part about an Alien in AvP2, even though it was a little mad at times it just made it so vicious.

The Predator on the other hand is stupidly strong, it can beat an Alien who doesn't get the drop on him in hand to hand every time and even beat a second straight after.

The kill sequences are a bit meh, yeah it's cool to impale a predator from behind with your tail but it just doesn't look as good as it could be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got the PS3 demo last night and couldn't get into a game. Crock of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got the PS3 demo last night and couldn't get into a game. Crock of ****.

They have problems with the servers there using. At least when the full game comes out they will have there very own Dedicated Servers. I resorted to downloading it on my laptop. It was fun being a marine :D

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    Where do you get it for 20 lads? Play.com?

Means waiting 2 feckin weeks for the game though.

It 2 weeks for the game where ever you get it from, its not released until the 19th.

www.play.com has it for €23+free delivery and its the same package steam are offering but play is €27 euro cheaper.

Amazon have it for €18 but u gotta add postage on top of that. It has no extras either.

Advertisement