Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien vs. Predator 3 - Alien Reveal Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Lol, in the Game Informer review they actually complain about the fact that the Predator is stealthy and that the Alien can climb on walls. Also apparently the game would be scarier without the motion tracker bleeping all the time :rolleyes:

They gave it:
    5.75/10

Not that a review from Game Informer actually means anything of course. You can read the whole thing here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Game Informer review gave it:
    5.75/10
    If they judged it on the demo then I'm not surprised, I didn't like it at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ergh, I can't play this demo ffs; DM is such a stupendously idiotic idea for AvP; I keep sneaking around as an alien, only to get chomped by a fellow xenomorph :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

had huge hopes for this one..... but multiplayer demo on xblender was awefull!!!! :eek:

i dont mind some inbalance, but it was just sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

It 2 weeks for the game where ever you get it from, its not released until the 19th.

www.play.com has it for €23+free delivery and its the same package steam are offering but play is €27 euro cheaper.

Amazon have it for €18 but u gotta add postage on top of that. It has no extras either.

Yeah but with play it'll be 2 weeks after the release date when I get it. Takes at least 2 weeks for any game I order from play to arrive.

Demo sucks that its DM and connection issues and so forth. But as for the game itself? I'm having a blast.

Setting up TDM on the fly with my mates is the best way to play.

I highly enjoy playing as all races.

The melee aspect is interesting but sucks if the host is 3000 miles away. So he can melee you from what seems like 2 meters away. But that'll be sorted with dedicated servers.

Game seems well balanced so far once you know what to do with each class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Zavvi have it for €20 + a quid shipping. Never ordered from them before but from some posts here they seem to be fairly quick on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Why the heck would Australia ban this?

Valmont wrote: »
    Why the heck would Australia ban this?

Because the Aussies have the strangest certification laws... they don't go above 15's, so anything after that ends up been edited or banned outright.
    At least every other country has the sense to go up to 18's thus giving a platform where anything bar the most sadistic stuff will get through.

You can get L4D as a tonned down version, when you shoot the zombies there's no blood and they disappear within a second
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QvHpwHb3s

However i read that AvP after a court case appeal, will be released in full form in Oz
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177382
    The Board noted that "the violence depicted in the game can be accommodated within the MA 15+ category as the violent scenes are not prolonged and are interspersed with longer non violent sequences. The violence is fantastical in nature and justified by the context of the game, set in a futuristic science-fiction world, inhabited by aliens and predators. This context serves to lessen its impact. The more contentious violence is randomly generated and is not dependent on player selection of specific moves.

...might set a future precedent, at least for games of this nature(fantastical in nature). At any rate you'd think the Aussies would wise up and get with the times, it's 2010 and they still have early 1900's censorship

the aussies and the germans are like the old grannies of the gaming world.

Australia though, being a gamer in that country must suck. Think about it, online you can only get a good connection with other Australians. Thats not a very big online population.

In Ireland we get good ping to most of Europe and its pretty playable on some east coast north american servers. The (playable) online population difference is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

8/10 from OXM magazine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Because the Aussies have the strangest certification laws... they don't go above 15's, so anything after that ends up been edited or banned outright. [/url]
    Wow, that is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time! What are the playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Valmont wrote: »
    Wow, that is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time! What are the playing at?

Same with Germany, the Government is afraid the games will warp there Fragile little minds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Same with Germany
    Remember, Germany wasnt involved with WW2....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Seriously Ps3 gamers add me marko93101

im dying to play a few games of this without waiting ages to get a game

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Terrible demo !

Looks like its going to be mainly a single player game with some multiplayer stuff thrown in...

What makes you say that? Have you looked up anything about the game?

I'm buying it for the multiplayer. Thats for sure.

The demo isnt great in that its only deathmatch and there's no dedicated servers and you can't just have a game with a few mates.

But the actual game is a blast from what I can see. As I said, setting a team death match style game is how me and my mates get our kicks. We all join marines or aliens. Then let the rest of the server know we're sticking together. Usually the rest of the server then do the same.

The game really has to be played on the PC though to fully enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

A marine with a hip cannon can clean up big time. A pred with a shoulder cannon can kill him, but not much else. Aliens have no hope.

Jumpy wrote: »
    A marine with a hip cannon can clean up big time. A pred with a shoulder cannon can kill him, but not much else. Aliens have no hope.

With a bit of skill, the Alien is excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

marko93 wrote: »

THIS. I first was kicking ass with my marine. Then slowly I started getting murdered by Aliens. Out of nowhere.

I am really looking forward to this game.

I love all the classes.

Here's a vid of some teamplay for those stuck on the console version, only from the perspective of marine though.

9:30ish on this vid is a good example of a skillful alien player. he sprints into the room and leaps up onto the roof killing me with his tail all in the space of 2 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Without that gun, Marines are squishy. Die in a second. But that gun tracks through walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah Aliens are excellent. When you turn on automatic transition it makes running circles around the marines a cinch.

A smart alien will never try to outright attack a marine head on. The aliens game is all about stalking, luring and going for the kill undetected.

A lot of people I see playing as the Aliens seem to not be utilizing his homing focus jump, it makes them absolutely deadly.

I do however think the Predators are completely unbalanced. If a match starts with only predators and 1 other species in it, the other species has no chance against them. On more than a few occasions I've been a predator and everyone (bar the other predator I had teamed up with :P) was Aliens. I just turned on Alien vision and went around killing the glowing green aliens without a problem. The predators melee attack also aimbots to the nearest alien. If I entered a room and could hear an alien but couldn't see it I'd just hit melee attack and the predator instantly turns to face the alien.

On more than a few occasions he'd also auto-jump towards the alien to attack. The predator needs some serious nerfing if they hope to balance out the game.

I agree , Predator is overpowered. But fun none the less :L Especially hunting down a lone Marine. Only to hear random shooting of the Rifle and screams down the Mic "where the F**k are you" etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The problem is, the Predator should be overpowered. He should be able to kill Aliens or regular grunts on his own. Obviously though, that doesnt translate over well to a multiplayer game. Looking forward to trying out the proper multiplayer when its released though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

AVP should be a game or rock scissors paper tho, the imbalances are what made the 1st game.

L31mr0d, what version of the game were you playing?

I guess there's is a reason why only 2 predators are allowed at one time.

However when I get this it'll be the modes predator hunt and infestation I'll be enjoying the most , deathmatch is shite.

Reminds me a bit of 'the hidden' (fantastic hl2 mod) but of course the hidden is far more powerful then a predator. He was a combination of the alien and the predator, and far far harder to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

8.5/10 from IGN

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1068446p1.html
    No opportunity to crowbar in a knowable quote is passed by, and Aliens vs. Predator is all the better for the extended fan service; it plays out like a best-of reel, with Lance Henriksen anchoring the whole show with a knowingly hammy reprisal of his role as Bishop.
    The Colonial Marine's opening moments are full of the suspense normally associated with survival horrors, and to its credit Rebellion succeeds where most others fail in providing some genuine scares.
    And while the campaign does its best to make players feel like the gung-ho goons of James Cameron's 1986 spectacular, it's in Survivor Mode that the Colonial Marines really shine. Playable online with up to three team mates or offline solo, this is a distillation of the very best that Aliens vs. Predator has to offer, throwing wave upon wave of Aliens at the player and steadily upping the tempo and lowering the odds of making it through alive. It's basic but brilliant.
    The three species set-up feels generous even at a time when people demand so much of their games, but it's a premise that dates back to Rebellion's first Aliens vs. Predator in 1994. While much has changed it still feels a little rusty – this isn't as slick as a Modern Warfare or Halo and its production values feel like they're from a different age, with poor textures and the occasional unimaginative set-piece belying the fact that underneath the HD dazzle is a core idea that's changed little in over 15 years. But that never truly detracts from how much fun is to be had throughout Aliens vs. Predator's myriad modes as Rebellion leans heavily on the source material, creating a game that's going to stoke the hearts of anyone who ever fell in love with the original films – which is likely anyone who's ever picked up a game pad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Could it be ...

Can it be true ... ?

Might this game actually be half-decent. No, actually decent?
    I do remain sceptical until I see a review from a more unbiased source. IGN.com aren't exactly pillars of journalistic integrity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Poor textures?! Not much of a change from the demo then.

Is this the future of PC gaming? Low res textures dumbed down to fit the consoles and the developers shipping the same bloody product for PCs?? Mass Effect 2 was guilty of this, pretty game but the textures were clearly designed for only the xbox.

Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Elessar wrote: »
    Poor textures?! Not much of a change from the demo then.

Is this the future of PC gaming? Low res textures dumbed down to fit the consoles and the developers shipping the same bloody product for PCs?? Mass Effect 2 was guilty of this, pretty game but the textures were clearly designed for only the xbox.

Ugh.

I prefer the idea that they spent their budget on game play rather then textures.

Advertisement