Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien vs. Predator 3 - Alien Reveal Trailer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even a better lighting model and HDR would have made the PC game a far better experience. I'm sure the PC version will still have the block-o-vision shadows of the console versions and crappy self shadowing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Elessar wrote: »
    Poor textures?! Not much of a change from the demo then.

Is this the future of PC gaming? Low res textures dumbed down to fit the consoles and the developers shipping the same bloody product for PCs?? Mass Effect 2 was guilty of this, pretty game but the textures were clearly designed for only the xbox.

Ugh.

Is this the future of gaming, period? That gamers get that turned off by graphics that are so-last-year? So what if the textures aren't razor sharp, does it distract you that much that the game may be not be on the bleeding edge of graphics? Big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

pixelburp wrote: »
    So what if the textures aren't razor sharp, does it distract you that much that the game may be not be on the bleeding edge of graphics? Big deal.

It's not an excuse. Plenty of recent releases have managed to maintain a high standard of finish, with Uncharted 2 setting the bar for the console.

That being said, that review is of the Xbox 360 version. It will still be interesting to see the comparison videos between the console and DX11 PC version.

The difference between the Xbox version of Call of Juarez and the DX10 PC version of it was staggering. It was actually one of the deciding factors in whether I should upgrade to DX10 or not.

I'm hoping AvP DX11 will be an equally tempting carrot. As yet I can see no reason to invest in this new DirectX technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Elessar wrote: »
    Poor textures?! Not much of a change from the demo then.

Is this the future of PC gaming? Low res textures dumbed down to fit the consoles and the developers shipping the same bloody product for PCs?? Mass Effect 2 was guilty of this, pretty game but the textures were clearly designed for only the xbox.

Ugh.

:rolleyes:

Oh woe is me my superior pc is being forced to play xbox games waah a bloo bloo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Oh woe is me my superior pc is being forced to play xbox games waah a bloo bloo

I guarantee Xbox 360 and PS3 users would be equally complaining if their games where just ported Wii versions, with sub HD resolutions, and low res textures. You expect games to utilize the hardware you've bought, if you wanted a game that looks like it should be on the Wii you would of bought the Wii version.

The same is true of games for the PC, if we wanted to play console standard games we would of gotten the console version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I prefer the idea that they spent their budget on game play rather then textures.

True, but will they get it right? from the track record and the demo it just isnt looking that way..

Emerging pattern in console games is lots of shiny awesome novelty bells and whistles to attract sales but little of the longlasting polished multiplayer aspects that we PC gamers are used to..

For example, 7 or 8 years ago a mod came out for half-life called Natural Selection, its basically a squad of marines vs a team of aliens.. guns vs claws.. commander vs hivemind.. and I'm still playing it, and its great.. as close to the perfect model for a classic marine v alien v predator style game in many ways.. but due to the limitations of consoles, its looking more and more likely that this new alien v predator game will just be a flash in the pan with some multiplayer that will last a few weeks before the glaring netcode, bugs, etc turn players off it (PC players that is)

Over the years I have built up a gigantic mental list of things that I would love to see and I know would work in an Aliens game.. but I just know I'll have to be satisfied with the film sound effects (finally) and mediocre unbalanced laggy gameplay..

Of course, if Blizzard had the rights..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Of course, if Blizzard had the rights..

You'd have to wait another 3 years for it to be released :P

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I guarantee Xbox 360 and PS3 users would be equally complaining if their games where just ported Wii versions, with sub HD resolutions, and low res textures. You expect games to utilize the hardware you've bought, if you wanted a game that looks like it should be on the Wii you would of bought the Wii version.

The same is true of games for the PC, if we wanted to play console standard games we would of gotten the console version.

Well if you dont like playing substandard console games on your expensive pc, id suggest playing some of the pc exclusives that came out last year that fully utilise the hardware. Lets see, how many AAA pc exclusives came out last year...

This thread is really going off course.....

Only a week to go, really looking forward to this more then any game that comes out this quarter

And i say that while currently having a blast playing Bioshock 2, being a massive fan of ''Fahrenheit''(which leads to Heavy Rain) and as someone who really enjoyed the BF:BC2 demo.

The videos of the Co-Op modes look epic and the reviews thus far having been favourable :)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

If I recall correctly, DX10 was vista only. I wonder if part of the reason for the lack of awesome gfx on the PC recently has been the fact that relatively few people bought vista. Win 7 seems to be selling well, I wonder will we see more DX10/11 games coming out?

Maybe I'm talking arse.

• Advertisement

Well if you dont like playing substandard console games on your expensive pc, id suggest playing some of the pc exclusives that came out last year that fully utilise the hardware. Lets see, how many AAA pc exclusives came out last year...

I didn't get the feeling that multi platform games like Left for Dead 2, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, etc were just shoddily ported over to PC for profit.. the designersseemed to take some time to play to the strengths of each platform.

But then there were other games.. the lazy made-for-profit passionless ports..

GTA4, Unreal tournament 3..

Sadly AVP seems to be veering towards the latter. I so want the game to be good, but every indication is otherwise, plus if they release it
    with a truckload of bugs then I'll keep my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

does anyone know any decent prices for this?

in shop or online.

i see from zavvi`s website that there doing it for £32.95

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Play.com have it at a pre-order price of 23.50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Lads in terms of the game on console v PC,

I played the demo on my ps3 and on the PC back to back. Was half an hour searching for a game on ps3 so with a push of a button on my monitor I'm playing on the pc while the ps3 is searching.

After a session was finished on the pc I could still hear gameplay audio, pushed the button on my monitor and there I was in game on ps3, picked up my pad and played.

Lads. The game looks and plays 50 times better on pc. I couldn't get over how bad it was on console when its the exact same demo. The level all of a sudden looked more like something from a ps2 game and the gameplay, well due to it being a pad, was slow and clunky the other players just went around mindlessly mashing that action button.

On the pc the actual game play from the other players made for a more atmospheric game , even those who didnt know what all the buttons could do, played with more intelligence due to having better control of their character. Aliens stalking you from above predators doing hit and run tactics.

Even though its just mindless deathmatch, the difference in terms of gameplay experience and depth on both versions of the game was staggering.

This is really one for the pc.

Sisko wrote: »
    Lads in terms of the game on console v PC,

I played the demo on my ps3 and on the PC back to back. Was half an hour searching for a game on ps3 so with a push of a button on my monitor I'm playing on the pc while the ps3 is searching.

After a session was finished on the pc I could still hear gameplay audio, pushed the button on my monitor and there I was in game on ps3, picked up my pad and played.

Lads. The game looks and plays 50 times better on pc. I couldn't get over how bad it was on console when its the exact same demo. The level all of a sudden looked more like something from a ps2 game and the gameplay, well due to it being a pad, was slow and clunky the other players just went around mindlessly mashing that action button.

On the pc the actual game play from the other players made for a more atmospheric game , even those who didnt know what all the buttons could do, played with more intelligence due to having better control of their character. Aliens stalking you from above predators doing hit and run tactics.

Even though its just mindless deathmatch, the difference in terms of gameplay experience and depth on both versions of the game was staggering.

This is really one for the pc.

Man that's the biggest crock of **** i ever heard, i play on consoles and i have full control over what i want to do, to say someone with a mouse and keyboard has better control and is smarter is complete bull* tbh

I knew PC gamers liked sitting on their high horse but that really takes it to another level :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Man that's the biggest crock of **** i ever heard, i play on consoles and i have full control over what i want to do, to say someone with a mouse and keyboard has better control

There is no way You can move two axis with Your thumbs faster than a quick swipe of a mouse

Man that's the biggest crock of **** i ever heard, i play on consoles and i have full control over what i want to do, to say someone with a mouse and keyboard has better control and is smarter is complete bull* tbh

I knew PC gamers liked sitting on their high horse but that really takes it to another level :rolleyes:

For first person shooters a mouse and keyboard is much better than a joypad. That's not opinion, it's fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Theres no comparison whatsoever, Mouse and Keyboard for FPS are infintely better.

**** for platform games tho :D

Gaming on a mouse and keyboard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxpIyAFv6Lo

(This is a great player, Reppie, playing a Quake one duel, very old game, hence the weird graphics.. it would be impossible to play this fast on any console controller out now.)

Still, that is nothing compared to this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gT-pcLIUdw&feature=related
    Skip to halfway through.. this guy is doing about 300 actions per minute, which is about 5 a second involving the keyboard and mouse.. the game he is playing is Starcraft.. in each one of those clicks he is ordering a unit to move, fight, build something, group together, etc.. these guys are professionals from South Korea who practice 10 or 12 hours a day and play for big money..

My controller is pretty good for football/driving/fighting games.. but it doesn't even come close for fps and rts..

Thus ends the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

And thus we have the stereotypical console gamer who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

I have a PC and a console and played the same demo on both. I have no reason to lie. I'm sorry I offended your beloved platform with facts. You play on console cause you want a quick casual game, don't get offended when people discuss the more in depth experience happening on the pc.

Do you really think pc gamers would spend all that time upgrading, downloading drivers and tweaks and fiddling if the experience on the PC was 100% the same as a console? Even the ability to type to people on a keyboard adds a level of depth. The amount of on the fly TDM games I've set up with random internet players by typing in-game. Be a nightmare to try and get that going on a console.

If pc gamers are snobbish then console gamers are plain ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man I hate this PC vs. Console debate, especially when its around the FPS. It's a tired old argument that remarkably still gets dragged up, despite the avalanche of evidence, both personal & factual, that points to the superior FPS experience the PC offers. There just isn't any comparison, and yet here we are again, defending something that shouldn't need defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

pixelburp wrote: »
    Man I hate this PC vs. Console debate, especially when its around the FPS. It's a tired old argument that remarkably still gets dragged up, despite the avalanche of evidence, both personal & factual, that points to the superior FPS experience the PC offers. There just isn't any comparison, and yet here we are again, defending something that shouldn't need defending.

As long as the internet exsists there will be these age old arguements :P

So now back on topic.

I for one am looking forward to this game, and cant wait till Friday :)

Review copies have been very late I've heard from my friend, as in he hasn't gotten his since friday. It's usually a bad thing

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Review copies have been very late I've heard from my friend, as in he hasn't gotten his since friday. It's usually a bad thing

Its a bad thing, how so? :eek:

Keeps people from publishing bad reviews before release day so they can make a few sales before the word gets out. Funnily enough the last game I heard that did this was also by Rebellion, Rogue Warrior which snuck on to shelves before any review code got out and was a stinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

marko93 wrote: »
    Its a bad thing, how so? :eek:

Review comes after after the games release so any negative press won't hit possible sales. Nearly always the hallmark of a game which the developers know is bad.

Awwwwwwh FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Im still getting it :P

But hopefully it wont be THAT bad :/

From one of the developers himself:
    Lots of reviews incoming this week, could be a bit of a rollercoaster.

I'm totally reliant on SEGA for that info and other than OXM and IGN I know only of a 79%, a 4/5, an 8/10, an 83% and a 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Lots of reviews incoming this week, could be a bit of a rollercoaster.

I'm totally reliant on SEGA for that info and other than OXM and IGN I know only of a 79%, a 4/5, an 8/10, an 83% and a 9/10.

*Books Friday off*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

They're staying faithful to the AVP movies

Advertisement