Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most difficult subjects in Health science Subjects?

Options
  • 16-10-2009 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Well just had a neuro exam today, which seems to yield the poorest results every year in second med. Have to say, it's a pretty complex subject to study and there is so much of it, so was just thinking there, what areas do other health care students find difficult and make them want to throw their books out the window in frustration!!!

Also, while im on the subject of neuro...can I just say, Stanley Monkhouse's little cranial nerve book is a god send as is neuroanatomy, crossman and neary. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I found Biochemistry the hardest, partly because I fell asleep in the first few lectures, and partly because I was using the wrong text.
    I was advised to buy stryers which really isn't intended for medical students and didnt even cover some of the topics we studied at the end of the year (folate metabolism, cancer, and coagulation this year)
    Then I bought "medical biochemistry" by meisenberg and It made everything much clearer.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Our physiology was the toughest in first year, but I loved it. This year, embryology is that little bit complicated, but it's really, really interesting.

And neuroanatomy is a little convoluted, but amazing. Got to love those colliculi. Crossman and Neary are good people.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I'd vote for Biochemistry. Although I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I'm a weak chemist at the best of times and trying to integrate biology with it doesn't really work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

biochem for me as well.

all those metabolic cycles, which seemed to have no clinical significance... i really struggled with biochem, in both years.

i still shudder at the memory of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

+1 for Biochem. I just can't quite grasp what's going on in a lot of the lectures.

I would say I'm finding Anatomy difficult too but it's my own fault for not putting in the work so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Loved biochem.

If I didn't get into med school after my BSc I had been offered a place on a clinical biochem MSc and a clinical biochem PhD.

It just always made sense to me.

Found genetics and immunology the hardest. Well, immunology was ok doing my BSc, but for some reason they went into mental detail at med school, as one of the course co-ordinators was an immunologist. Een the guy who had a full BSc in immunology really struggled with that part of the course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

pathophysiology - as far as im concerned, all them pink and purple blobs look the same under the microscope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Oh, and stats. HATED stats.

Just badly thought, though, and always always always lumped in with public health, giving us a boring reputation, despite the fact that everyone should understand stats to the point where they can at least read a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Biochem. probably as well.
    Neuroanatomy IMO is difficult but interesting.
    All that wiring and trying to visualize where everything is in relation to everything else.
    Also i'll never fully remember those cranial foramina and fossae.
    The ethmoid bone is still a big mystery tbh. :o

Edit: actually I see immunology up there as well.
    That too.

Never liked Obs and Gynae.
    Never really liked Paeds either.
    Psych was probably the easiest (possibly most interesting) for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Immunology. Jesus H! I'm studying it at the moment and it's taking me forever. Enjoy Path and Physiology otherwise, it's a great insight to be aware about what's happening on a cellular level and beyond with someone who's sick in front of you.

EDIT - Old thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

LOVE: Haematology and Immunology
    HATE: Molecular Medicine and Anatomy (as a subject it's interesting but the learning... aaaargh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I found Biochemistry the hardest, partly because I fell asleep in the first few lectures, and partly because I was using the wrong text.
    I was advised to buy stryers which really isn't intended for medical students and didnt even cover some of the topics we studied at the end of the year (folate metabolism, cancer, and coagulation this year)
    Then I bought "medical biochemistry" by meisenberg and It made everything much clearer.
    :pac:

Sweet Jesus Meisenberg and Simmons is by a long way thee worst book I've ever read on any subject EVER.

Lippincott Biochem is a thousand times easier to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Sweet Jesus Meisenberg and Simmons is by a long way thee worst book I've ever read on any subject EVER.

Lippincott's doesn't seem to cover enough or something though? Also, it's all very schematic and visual, doesn't do wonders for me!
    Bought it last year, but it's no use this year...

Biochemistry instant notes was beautiful for 1st year stuff.

My biochem lecturer today recommended Meisenbergs for Clinical Biochem, don't think I'll bother buying it but do intend on getting it out of the library this week.

OT: Was finding pharmacology pretty tough this year, but think I've got my head around it now and am actually starting to kind of enjoy it.
    Biochem'll always be my pet hate...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Our physiology was the toughest in first year, but I loved it. This year, embryology is that little bit complicated, but it's really, really interesting.

And neuroanatomy is a little convoluted, but amazing. Got to love those colliculi. Crossman and Neary are good people.:D

Have to agree with you about embryology.
    IIRC, people tended to concentrate more on histology (possibly rightly so as it's the precursor to pathology) and embryology can be a bit of an afterthought in the anatomy course.
    But the "first principle" and dynamic aspect of embryology is quite interesting.

Histology on the other hand- all those pink and purple blobs down the microscope and layers and layers of tissue, jaysus... :confused:

Pharmacy law and practice is frying my head at the moment. Just because it is totally different from everything I have done in Pharmacy so far. Controlled drugs register is the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Blasphemy.
    Meisenberg is the ****. Im using it now and again this year just to refresh my knowledge on purine metabolism/salvage pathway and I find it explains things much better than lippincotts. Lippincotts is great as well.
    Thats just the way I roll.

Advertisement