Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good reason for a silencer

Options
  • 16-10-2009 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I got a phone call from my local Garda sargeant today. He said a query had come back from HQ wanting to know what my reason for wanting a silencer was (I ticked the silencer box on the new FCA1 form). Has anyone else had this problem. What kind of answer is considered sufficient?
    My rifle is a CZ .22LR.

Seamus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

Do you use it for pest control?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Check out this thread. Reasons and pros and cons for each reason is discussed. See if it helps. If not post back here again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055663743
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Or what's stated in the Garda Commissioner's guidelines:
    Silencers are designed to reduce the report of the firearm so as to conceal the position of the shooter, and also to reduce the felt recoil. Silencers have traditionally been used on rimfire rifles of .22 calibres when shooting rabbits. This allows the shooter to kill other animals who are not alarmed by the low report of the rifle. This justification may not apply in the case of the shooting of other less numerous and less sociable animals such as foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

rrpc wrote: »
    Or what's stated in the Garda Commissioner's guidelines:

Quote:
    Silencers are designed to reduce the report of the firearm so as to conceal the position of the shooter, and also to reduce the felt recoil. Silencers have traditionally been used on rimfire rifles of .22 calibres when shooting rabbits. This allows the shooter to kill other animals who are not alarmed by the low report of the rifle. This justification may not apply in the case of the shooting of other less numerous and less sociable animals such as foxes.

As this reason is stated as a "Valid Reason for use" in the Garda Commissioner's guidelines then I would suggest that you use it as your first reason for the use of a mod, as well as as many others that you can come up with. ;)

I have used this same letter for my reasons for use when applying for my .22lr, .223, and 308 licenses. I attached copies to each of the application forms.

I have permission for use for the 22lr and 223 but I'm still waiting on word back about the license and mod permission for the 308.

You will also see in the post I started at
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055663743
    that I use the word Vermin as my control subject and not rabbits and foxes. The Vermin word covers so much more. :D

Advertisement