Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper ear piercing for 13 year old

• 16-10-2009 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

My 13 year old daughter has asked me if she can get her upper ear pierced.
    I know nothing about the subject, couldn't find any mention of it in the stickies.
    Can anyone tell me is this legal and also is it safe?
    I presume this is classed as cartilage piercing?
    If it is legal and safe have you any suggestions as to where she could get it done (Dublin area).
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It's cartilage, will be done with a hollow point needle. Shops have a 16's policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

And yes, it is perfectly legal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Yes it is legal. :)
    I think it is great that you are researching as the parent, well done.
    Anyway, make sure you go to a reputable piercing studio and the piercing is performed with a needle. I'm not from Dublin myself so I can't advise you on studios unfortunately.
    Under no circumstances allow your daughter to get the piercing in a jeweller's/chemist with a gun.

Yes, it is pretty safe as long, as I said, it is pierced with a needle. Choose a bar over a ring as jewellery and follow the aftercare instructions. It should be fine. :D

The cartilage piercing is named a helix by the way.
    Best of luck with this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My 11 year old wants a Helix and her nose pierced(just to start with).I told her when shes 16 Ill bring her into Paddy myself to get them done and not a minute sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Thanks for replies everyone, lots of useful info.
    Just wondering Hellrazer why you would wait till your daughter is 16.
    Not a criticism, just trying to gather a bit of info to make a decision. Interested to hear opinions.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hellrazer wrote: »
    My 11 year old wants a Helix and her nose pierced(just to start with).I told her when shes 16 Ill bring her into Paddy myself to get them done and not a minute sooner.

To be honest, I'd be of this vein also. My daughter won't be getting a piercing until a reputable piercing studio that uses needles and not guns (a lot of the reputable places have a 16's, sometimes with parental consent, as a general rule) will pierce her. Not even her ears. She'll be old enough to decide herself then and can care for them properly herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I find it slightly funny I must admit that peeps are so anti piercings for young teenagers, but maybe I would change my tune if I had kids of my own! I got my ears pierced first when I was 4. And got my first non ear piercing(eyebrow) when I was 13 in a very reputable studio in Dublin, however, i think things have changed now!! Seems like 16 is the general rule for a lot of places, so it may be difficult to find somewhere that will pierce her.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just wondering Hellrazer why you would wait till your daughter is 16.

Its for the same reason as adrieanne__x says ie when its reputable studio thats trained in all aspects of hygiene and cross contamination.Im not letting her get her ear/nose pierced with a gun in some dodgy shop that thinks its alright.The damage that those things can do is unbelievable especially to cartilege.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its for the same reason as adrieanne__x says ie when its reputable studio thats trained in all aspects of hygiene and cross contamination.Im not letting her get her ear/nose pierced with a gun in some dodgy shop that thinks its alright.The damage that those things can do is unbelievable especially to cartilege.
    And a lot of places wont do piercings like nose before they are 16 too.. And any place that would, I'd be kinda worried about..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mods, if this isn't ok delete it... but here's an article on gun piercings vs needle piercings.

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/psafety/a/piercing_guns.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement