Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business is stupid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

You're just more likely to come across the topics studied in business rather than in LC maths if you go on to pursue neither in college.

No matter where you work, chances are its going to be a business and so some of the things you did in business will be involved.

I think HL Maths is a step too far, its really complex stuff.
    I heard only 1 in 5 do it, they should make it slightly easier so that it would be doable for 1 in 3 or at least 1 in 4.
    Theres a big gap and thats why lotsof people find Ordinary level a doss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Reillyman wrote: »
    Is that not the same for every subject?

Justifying that business is more practical than maths on the basis that you only need it for a particular area is a failing argument my friend...

well the thread is about how business is not usful outside off school!..People went on to say(including myself) that business is a lot more usful in general life than math is.
    my argument is that id say about 10% of people will ever use math again when they leave education. on the other hand you can apply business to lots of things in life when youve left education!..
    im not saying math isnt important, just that for most people its not essential in "Life".;)

DC09 wrote: »
    You're just more likely to come across the topics studied in business rather than in LC maths if you go on to pursue neither in college.

No matter where you work, chances are its going to be a business and so some of the things you did in business will be involved.

I think HL Maths is a step too far, its really complex stuff.
    I heard only 1 in 5 do it, they should make it slightly easier so that it would be doable for 1 in 3 or at least 1 in 4.
    Theres a big gap and thats why lotsof people find Ordinary level a doss.

i wouldnt think its 1 in five. more like 1 in 3 or 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Daragh101 wrote: »
    i wouldnt think its 1 in five. more like 1 in 3 or 4

Well in 2009,

8,420 took Higher Level maths
    37,272 took Ordinary
    6,210 took Foundation

A total of 51,902.

Divide that by the number that did Higher Level, and you get 1 in 6. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

People went on to say(including myself) that business is a lot more usful in general life than math is.
    my argument is that id say about 10% of people will ever use math again when they leave education. on the other hand you can apply business to lots of things in life when youve left education!..
    im not saying math isnt important, just that for most people its not essential in "Life".;)

First of all, 100% of people will use Maths again. As to how complex it will be, thats another issue. Almost any science or computing course/career will require use of maths, as will all careers in business, economics etc.

Secondly, (I should have clarified this earlier) I think business is really useful as well, probably one of the most useful in fact.

My main point however is that it's not simply true to say business is more practical than maths due to the fact that not everyone will use it. As <Making It Bad> said,
    Actually Maths has a lot of indirect applications to everyday life. It helps you think logically and analytically. This is why a lot of graduates in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics often go into areas such as management, stockbroking and so on. While still having more direct applications in areas such as engineering and computing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

I love Business, it's one of my favourite subjects :) It's fairly easy to study for.
    A lot of subjects you do aren't going to be relevant to what you do when you finish school. Irish for example is one the majority of people will never use ever again, unless they're going to be a primary school/irish teacher.
    When it comes to my subjects, I just learn what I have to learn and that's it :P

First of all, 100% of people will use Maths again. As to how complex it will be, thats another issue. Almost any science or computing course/career will require use of maths, as will all careers in business, economics etc.

Secondly, (I should have clarified this earlier) I think business is really useful as well, probably one of the most useful in fact.

My main point however is that it's not simply true to say business is more practical than maths due to the fact that not everyone will use it. As <Making It Bad> said,

lol...im not talking about adding taking away etc.....
    a high level of math may be essential for some, however for nearly everyone else basic math willdo!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rgmartin91

Listen, Business is a relatively easy A if you put in a bit of effort, don't complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

a high level of math may be essential for some, however for nearly everyone else basic math willdo!

I presume your counting yourself in "nearly everyone". If so, come back to me in a year or two when your doing detailed forecasted outputs in your business course and tell me its basic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Someone said English is important lmao. yeah really useful as an anglophone country, learning king lear is really going to help ireland advance in the future:rolleyes:

I say this as a complete retard when it comes to maths that its the only subject really worth anything in the LC. The rest are just a waste of time and there for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭barry181091

Business is my best subject. :cool:

Sure its boring and stuff but its totally easy, for me anyway.:p

Regarding Maths...urgg, Just boring and no fun :mad: Same for physics:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Someone said English is important lmao. yeah really useful as an anglophone country, learning king lear is really going to help ireland advance in the future:rolleyes:

I say this as a complete retard when it comes to maths that its the only subject really worth anything in the LC. The rest are just a waste of time and there for the sake of it.
    Learning shakespeare isn't just to learn off a bunch of quotes and a ready made answer and just write it all down the minute you see your answer sheet.

It helps you delve deeper into the meaning of what you read or hear. It helps you communicate effectively and know how to decipher the toughest of texts.

That said, I love english so you could say I'm biased.

I presume your counting yourself in "nearly everyone". If so, come back to me in a year or two when your doing detailed forecasted outputs in your business course and tell me its basic:D

no not too sure where i stand!

there is no math module on the business course unless you major in risk managment or economics which is in year 2 or 3 me thinks!!

Learning shakespeare isn't just to learn off a bunch of quotes and a ready made answer and just write it all down the minute you see your answer sheet.

It helps you delve deeper into the meaning of what you read or hear. It helps you communicate effectively and know how to decipher the toughest of texts.

Ye you could say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Actually I found it quite helpful, I have quoted the acts on several occasions and it even saved my job. Unfortunately as a teenager you don't need these things, they are being studied at that age to help you later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

Could be worse, Geography is the most useless. [ quote by Naikon ]

Well if this global warming thing continues, you'd want to know which countries are less likely to be flooded :p

Geography is very, very useful. I went to the open day in ucc and saw the lecture for ck404 (environmetal and earth systems science). The list of job opportunies for geog is vast, it even included accountancy.

''can't judge the book by it's cover'' cliched i know :pac:

this thread is ****ing usless i mean what ****ing handicap thinks business is usless. business is great......it makea the world go round..+its so relivant to real life!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thejetset

Yes yes, English is good for learning how to critically analyse a text, but what is beyond me is the fact that we have to learn off those quotes. In a modern society where everything is available quickly and easily both online and off, there are very few situations where you will need to remember something. At least remember it for the sake of knowing it offhand rather than repetition causing a person to remember it offhand. I personally would believe that a resource such as the text (or the internet, as Denmark did as reported by BBC News, leaving aside the practicalities) should be made available to us during the exam, though obviously that would still require us to go through any given text a number of times first so you know where everything is and know what's going on in the plot etc..., but we just don't need to waste the headspace with quotes.

In a sense that is one major failing of the LC, it really fails to prepare students for the outside world in a meaningful way. The information is presented to the student and they are expected to know it by next Monday (not literally of course :P) but that's not how modern life works. In real life there are no definitions to be learnt off, and if you need to find one you can look to the internet. That said it is a skill that really needs to be taught because so many people just cannot use a search engine (I was gonna say Google...) effectively. This needs to be taught in school as a basic skill, I suspect it's the most widely used skill in most workplaces and I suspect that spans every industry and all walks of life and will probably do a hell of a lot more for you than learning lines from Shakespeare.

Getting back on topic, I think that some parts of the business course are certainly silly, such as learning the characteristics of an entrepreneur. Knowing the characteristics of an entrepreneur won't help you become an entrepreneur, a kind of they're born not made theory which in my experience is true... you can see a kind of spirit in the people! Although the term entrepreneur is bandied about a lot and has started meaning something it isn't. LCVP and TY business also do that to a huge variety of business "buzz words", lost in translation. But on a whole, knowing what rights you have is a good thing, a foundation level of accounting is always good for budgeting, taxation etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

/facepalm

not this **** again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think it is the most relevant subject to our lives actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 thejetset

/facepalm

not this **** again :(

Oh stop reading this thread if you're that ****ing bothered by "this ****". It's an issue that is quite valid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

thejetset wrote: »
    Oh stop reading this thread if you're that ****ing bothered by "this ****". It's an issue that is quite valid...

I was more referring to the fact that this was necroed from a month ago. I think everything which needed to be discussed has been discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

It's like this ok
    Look at primary school, that gives you the basic skills and i'd say more than half the country does maths of this level everyday.
    Then secondary school you have learned the basics, its time to learn more. If you didn't do things like differenciation, accounting, learning about construction then you wouldn't know if you would like it or not.You can't just go from primary school to college when your 12.
    Secondary school also can develop good habits.
    Like my english teacher says 'think of it as FUN!' and look forward to hours of FUN every night. yay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

EU RULES wrote: »
    Its a weird subject. We had an exam and in the exam it asked 'what are the ground for unfair dismissal' I listed like 6 reasons and I didn't get full marks:rolleyes:

see.. unless it specifically says "list" your best to give a short description, it wont take your more than a minute or two and your more likely to get full marks. did LC business last year (loved it), and what i was told is to explain everything! assume your teaching somebody who has never done any business studies at all before. it shows you understand

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

does anyone agree?
    in my opinion NOTHING that is on the leaving cert business course could be applied to ANY real life business situation.

sorry to say this but.. school, and especially the leaving cert isnt just one big life lesson. you learn useful information, that can be applied to life but there is no law written somewhere that the information must be applied to life. You learn about the subject you chose, and thats it.

but you will use the stuff you learned in LC more than your realise.. i never thought that my days in home ec learning about protein structures and Fatty acids that fried my head to no end would have any relevance to psychaitric nursing, but.. take a guess whats in my exams this christmas.

my advice would be to learn the information and stop thinking about how pointless it is.. its nice to know stuff, and you never no whhen you might need it agian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

I started studying today, three hours purely on business, allong with hating my teacher, it also gave me a sore hand, so i know feel like I have every reason to dislike the subject:p

the subject is easy but the short questions will end up preventing me getting an A. also looking at past papers some years the long questions are straight forward and then others they ask more challenging questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

yeah i oticed that too, lets hope we get an easy enough paper, i have trouble dechipering questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Teacher 28

I teach LC Business .. and I totally agree with you!!
    Junior Cert has a lot more relevance and variety.

Good luck with the studying anyway! James

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

I don't mind it 'cos it's an easy enough A, but there's a lot of little things and the exam itself involves a lot of writing.

Advertisement