Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel rejects UN council backing for Gaza war crimes report

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Wow, internal investigations on either side would surely go far alright... i.e not find anyone in particular responsible. IMO this will be the outcome of an internal investigation.

And Britain choosing to abstain from voting. Are they as tied to Israel as the U.S? Or are they saving face for Washington?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

This country should be ashamed for recognising the state of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

The Nobel Peace Prize winner certaintly shows his attitude to peace by abstaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Twenty-five of the 47 member nations supported the resolution, although six voted against it - including the US - and 16 either abstained or did not vote at all.

I wonder who the 5 others were, and the 16 who didn't have the backbone to support it. I hope Ireland doesn't fall into either category. I tried searching the UN website for information - Does anybody know where I can get the information on who voted for and against the motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

dlofnep wrote: »
    I wonder who the 5 others were, and the 16 who didn't have the backbone to support it. I hope Ireland doesn't fall into either category. I tried searching the UN website for information - Does anybody know where I can get the information on who voted for and against the motion?

This is from the UK Guardian

"How they voted

In favour (25): Argentina, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, China, Cuba, Djbouti, Egypt, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Mauritius, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, South Africa, Zambia.

Against (6): US, Italy, Holland, Hungary, Slovakia, Ukraine.

Absentions (11): Belgium, Bosnia, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Gabon, Japan, Mexico, Norway, South Korea, Slovenia, Uruguay.

Britain, France, Madagascar, Kyrgyzstan and Angola did not vote."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/16/gaza-war-crimes-un-vote

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It must be said, Israel didn't do themselves any favours by failing to accommodate the investigators.

No wonder it comes out critical of Israel if the Israelis refuse to put their side of the story out. What did they expect?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, I guess at least there is some progress on this, but I doubt that the people responsible for war crimes on either side will be brought to any kind of justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nope. Both as guilty as hell too, it has to be said. About the only thing thats come out of this is a further weakening of Abbas.

wes wrote: »
    Well, I guess at least there is some progress on this, but I doubt that the people responsible for war crimes on either side will be brought to any kind of justice.

Probably not, but like the IDF General (sorry I can't remember his name now) cancelled his trip to the UK recently for fear of being arrested, travel will become increasingly difficult for them.

For anyone who hasn't read the UN report and the gist of the Goldstone report.
    I think it is a very reasonable assessment of what happened in the Gaza fiasco and the continued aggression in East Jerusalem

http://www.un.org/News/dh/pdf/english/2009/16102009.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I don't mean to stir the pot....

But aren't Hamas supposed to be the terrorist group elected into power?
    And Israel the democratic state? The terrorism defense only really works if you aren't also terrorizing citizens of the enemy.

It becomes apparent that its not tit for tat war driven by politics or disagreements, its more about ethnicity.
    Its sad that it can still go on with the "approval" or absence of intervention from the worlds most modern ""free"" societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,817 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Israel's criticism that the report is unbalanced would be valid if it sought to absolve Hamas of wrongdoing.

I wonder if Israel droped a moab(mother of all bombs) in the centre of gaza on civilians would America find a way to excuse it. Just what would it take for America to officially criticise Israel. At least the Israeli government can't use the usual canard that the Goldstone report is motivated by anti-semitism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

At least the Israeli government can't use the usual canard that the Goldstone report is motivated by anti-semitism!

Believe it or not they actually did!!

Believe it or not they actually did!!

Yes they did. Goldstone himself has been called a "self-hating" Jew and smeared unbelievably in posts on the Israeli newspaper websites. See Haaretz or the Jerusalem Post for examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

At least the Israeli government can't use the usual canard that the Goldstone report is motivated by anti-semitism!

You obviously missed the whole 'Jimmy Carter, Nazi Sympathiser' thing. In a way its so OTT its hilarious, and in a way its sick.

The pro-Israel lobby campaigned against Norman Finkelstein, calling him a holocaust denier, and eventually managed to have his tenure vetoed, because of his criticism of Israel. Finkelsteins mother is a holocaust survivor, of both the Warsaw Ghetto and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majdanek. Thats the level of scum you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,817 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

paulaa wrote: »
    Yes they did. Goldstone himself has been called a "self-hating" Jew and smeared unbelievably in posts on the Israeli newspaper websites. See Haaretz or the Jerusalem Post for examples.

unbelievable. i thought they'd never try card that considering Goldstone was Jewish. Then again this is Israel we are talking about. Now they are saying this report will sabotage the peace talks. As if Benjamin Netanyahu was ever serious about the peace talks to begin with. Abbas is a terribly craven leader. How did he think trying to stall the report would play with ordinary Palestinians.

Nodin wrote: »
    You obviously missed the whole 'Jimmy Carter, Nazi Sympathiser' thing. In a way its so OTT its hilarious, and in a way its sick.

The pro-Israel lobby campaigned against Norman Finkelstein, calling him a holocaust denier, and eventually managed to have his tenure vetoed, because of his criticism of Israel. Finkelsteins mother is a holocaust survivor, of both the Warsaw Ghetto and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majdanek. Thats the level of scum you're dealing with.

i was aware of the carter issue but not the Finkelstein issue. that's despicable. it just proves they've lost the argument when they have to resort to viciousness like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

You can run but you can't hide..

worth a look ;)

i was aware of the carter issue but not the Finkelstein issue. that's despicable. it just proves they've lost the argument when they have to resort to viciousness like that.

Quite true, considering what his folks went through during the war, Finkelstein doesn't exactly fit the profile of an Anti-Semite. You can read all you want about it on his site. What the ADL have tried to do to him is nothing less than sickening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Delete]

Wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

The Nobel Peace Prize winner certaintly shows his attitude to peace by abstaining

abstaining?

he is supporting Israel with $30 billion over the next 10 years

http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/5923

PomBear wrote: »
    abstaining?

he is supporting Israel with $30 billion over the next 10 years

yeah, I was rather hoping to see something diffetent from Obama, but it seems, yet again, AIPAC and the Lobby have put the scuppers on that one :(

Tail wagging the dog ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No great surprise really that

1. Israel committed war crimes and
    2. The US and UK support Israel committing warcrimes

Look back over any of the Israeli invasion threads and you will see those who claim Israel are doing anything wrong are accused of anti-semitism / being a foil tin hat wearer / terrorist sympathiser

Look back over any of the Israeli invasion threads and you will see those who claim Israel are doing anything wrong are accused of anti-semitism / being a foil tin hat wearer / terrorist sympathiser

+1 ....but you forgot to include 'Nazi', 'Jew Hater' and 'Holocaust Denier' in that list.

I detest this kind of music normally, but in this case i'll make an exception :D

Advertisement