Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

much confusion...

• 16-10-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

i'm hoping to have a big pin-up piece done on my upper arm, having searched around for the right man for the job i decided on someone out of dublin (where i live)..
    i emailed the shop and got a lovely reply telling me to post down the stuff i had and a description of what i wanted.
    having painstakingly searched for the appropriate mix of elements i photocopied everything and sent it down to them.. i'm looking for certain elements to be included but want the artist to draw up something original; i can't draw myself....
    i then get a rather rude email back telling me what i had sent down was not suitable as the artist would only do original work, not copy pictures from a book.
    i replied that i absolutely did not want something carbon copied but simply sent them as an idea of what i'm interested in and explained that had i called into the shop i would have brought the same references with me.
    so the email in response tells me if the artist draws something up it wont be the same as the pictures i sent as these were done in the fourties.
    "that's absolutely fine" i say, they are simply sent as inspiration for the original drawing the artist will do...
    so they tell me that i will have to pick a picture that is exactly what i want and then they might be able to do it for me...

sorry that is such a long post.
    is it just me or does this artist not want to copy something but also not want to draw anything? i asked them to send me the stuff i sent back and they have.. will try someone in dublin soon..

is this situation strange to anyone else..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DhalsimHibiki

I somehow get the impression that there is some kind of misunderstanding. If its not personal or private, post the email correspondence, maybe there is just something that you have overread or maybe you wrote something that was hard to understand for the artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

ok, will change the artists name to SAM..

them: sam would be interested in doing the pin - up girl, he loves black and grey work. Can you send us a pic in the post to the size you want done? You will need to make an appointment and the length of time it will take and the price depends on the size of the tattoo. You may need to book in for about 3 hours. You can call to make the appt or through email.
    *posted stuff* (different pics of pin-ups...)
    them: you will have to call the shop as what you sent down is not going
    to work at all, we have books on pin ups here its suppose to be original
    art not ( mr potato man )
    you cant just stick arms n legs and bits and pieces they are what they
    are.. he's only interested in doing an original not anything else..
    you can call the shop on ....

me: sorry for causing any confusion and apparent offense, the things i sent in the post were simply an indication of the style of tattoo i'm after, by no means do i want to copy something out of a book.. had i been able to call into the shop (if i lived in xxxxx) i would have brought the same references with me as there are certain elements i would like included in it.
    again, so sorry if i have offended anyone, this was absolutely not my intention, will call the shop this week.

them: you haven't offended anyone, sorry if we have upset you in
    anyway, there is a certain style to the pin up art, and what
    you are looking for is from all the artists from the early
    40's and on, to change these images would not be the same
    style..

me: if there is any way that sam can draw something up using the references i have supplied then that would be fantastic, i'm not looking for those exact pictures on my arm, they were just a guide for what i'm into....
    if it's not going to be possible then not to worry and if you could send the bits and pieces back up to me i would appreciate it..

them: Unfortunately its' not possible to come up with what you are after from scratch, but if you find the pin- up who is closer to everything you want we might be able to go form there. I will pop the envelope in the post today.

i really don't know what i've done so wrong here.. anyone i showed the stuff to before i sent it said it was grand and anyone i've told about the emails have been really shocked!

Ok, to me it looks like for them "original art" is anything that they have in their books. I would assume, that the artist himself has made those...mhh, you are right, this IS confusing :-)
    Looks like the artist is capable of drawing original art from one of his books OR he could copy a piece that you have already finished but he cannot take parts of different pictures and make a new one out of it. In any way, I would suggest to call/visit them or ask a different artist just to see how he would react to the same query.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd go looking somewhere else after that to be honest :s

I'd go looking somewhere else after that to be honest :s

I was going to suggest the same but as I do not really have much experience with tattoos I didnt^^

From a non-tattoo related standpoint, this is definately no way to treat a potential customer...

• Advertisement

i think i will go elsewhere, from the sound of the emails alone i imagine there would not have been good chemistry when i went to have the piece done and i don't think that's a good idea...

i was really taken aback by the communication to be honest...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

If I was you I'd name and shame. You've been treated very poorly by either an overly egotistical artists or a member of their staff. People who act like this deserve what comes their way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I definitely wouldn't be impressed by that and I'd take my business elsewhere.

Any artist would love what you did - send your own reference photos and let them do the rest. It's all about co-operation between you and the artist, and they certainly got off to the wrong foot and don't seem willing to try anything out.

This part particularly confused me:
    tfak85 wrote:
    what you are looking for is from all the artists from the early
    40's and on, to change these images would not be the same
    style..

Was it a Gil Elvgrin piece? If so Jani in Tattoo Prime has done some nice pieces in that style. I'm sure Remis also in Tattoo Prime could do a good job of it also as could Martin (Connected), Justin Russell (his own studio on South William St), Wojt in Wildcat and John in Inkwell. You've got lots of other options who will be able to give you at the very least a very basic level of customer service unlike the artist you were in contact with.

thanks for confirming it was not just me!
    it is jani or remis i'm thinking about going to as it is a gil elvgrin style piece i'm after!

it was joe in JMDs Bodyart in Waterford...

• Advertisement

There was another post awhile back about someone being treated quite badly by the staff in that shop. Maybe they could do with a change of desk staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 dysfunktional

id go to prime there work is great,iv never got anyting done by them but will be by december

Advertisement