Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think women get as much respect as men???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

I think I get more respect for been a woman!

Just flutter the eyelashes!

Women get into night clubs easier, get away with speeding tickets, get to have a bad week every month, get to spend hours in hairdressers been pampered............

I love been a girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Women get into night clubs easier, get away with speeding tickets, get to have a bad week every month, get to spend hours in hairdressers been pampered............

I love been a girl!
    Yeah that's not respect...

phasers wrote: »
    Yeah that's not respect...

Not even self-respect. Poor show vonnyob-giggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I love been a girl!

Life is not like that, you'll see when you become a woman.

Anybody have a breath mint handy? I can taste vomit in my mouth :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Women get into night clubs easier, get away with speeding tickets
    Act like a cockteasing bint? Nah...

Not all men are stupid enough to fall for that sh1t anyway. I wouldn't recommend it be relied upon in all situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Dudess wrote: »
    Act like a cockteasing bint? Nah...

Not all men are stupid enough to fall for that sh1t anyway.

Just give us a chance to fall for it though, that's all I ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

IRON MY SHIRT

clinton-irongetty533.jpg

• I think I get more respect for been a woman!

I love been a girl!

I'm really hoping that's a tongue in cheek post, but the amount of airheaded bimbos I encounter on daily basis make me fairly sure that it isn't.

I'm so sick of the condescending attitude I get from men on a daily basis. I'm shocked at how many seem to think that I'm thick/not logical/can't turn on a PC because I'm a girl. I'm sick of things being explained to me as if there was no way I could have possibly known anything about them (IT people are the worst culprits). I'm sick of the way men assume I'm a bimbo because I don't talk about 'deep' topics at the pub. That doesn't happen to men. If my boyfriend tells a funny story or makes a silly comment, that's just banter or having a laugh. If I do it, it's apparently because I have nothing else to talk about. If my boyfriend says something tongue in cheek, he's obviously messing. If I do it, it's taken as a serious comment (and the 'God, she's really dumb' looks are exchanged), because I couldn't possibly be witty, being a girl and all. I constantly have my degree and academic background belittled - I must have done well in college because it was easy, not because I'm actually clever. When these guys establish, that I am not in fact an idiot, they then try to insinuate that they thought so because I didn't 'act clever' or talk about my studies/politics/philosophy. As if I'm going to sit down in the pub and start talking about Sartre with a randomer I've only just met! I want to have a pleasant chat, not show off my knowledge or quiz them on theirs. I hate people who do that. I think it's rude.

I just hate feeling like I constantly have to prove myself all the time. As if it's assumed I'm an airhead until I prove otherwise. Men don't get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I love been a girl!

Eh.... just to point out, there is a huge difference between respect and sucking up to a pretty woman. I think a lot of people misinterpret the latter for the former.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

[quote=[Deleted User];62576613]I couldn't possibly be witty, being a girl and all.[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7izJggqCoA
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

[quote=[Deleted User];62576613]If my boyfriend tells a funny story or makes a silly comment, that's just banter or having a laugh. If I do it, it's apparently because I have nothing else to talk about.[/QUOTE]
    If my boyfriend says something tongue in cheek, he's obviously messing. If I do it, it's taken as a serious comment (and the 'God, she's really dumb' looks are exchanged), because I couldn't possibly be witty, being a girl and all.
    Maybe you're just not funny?

• Maybe you're just not funny?

Haha, I was waiting for that. I've been told I am funny by lots of people. I couldn't possibly comment.:p

One thing I have noticed is that it's nearly always the guys who don't have much going on upstairs themselves who treat me like an idiot.

[quote=[Deleted User];62576777]One thing I have noticed is that it's nearly always the guys who don't have much going on upstairs themselves who treat me like an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Well, people treat me like an idiot all the time too. *shrug* Whatcha gonna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

[quote=[Deleted User];62576613]I'm really hoping that's a tongue in cheek post, but the amount of airheaded bimbos I encounter on daily basis make me fairly sure that it isn't.

I'm so sick of the condescending attitude I get from men on a daily basis. I'm shocked at how many seem to think that I'm thick/not logical/can't turn on a PC because I'm a girl. I'm sick of things being explained to me as if there was no way I could have possibly known anything about them (IT people are the worst culprits). I'm sick of the way men assume I'm a bimbo because I don't talk about 'deep' topics at the pub. That doesn't happen to men. If my boyfriend tells a funny story or makes a silly comment, that's just banter or having a laugh. If I do it, it's apparently because I have nothing else to talk about. If my boyfriend says something tongue in cheek, he's obviously messing. If I do it, it's taken as a serious comment (and the 'God, she's really dumb' looks are exchanged), because I couldn't possibly be witty, being a girl and all. I constantly have my degree and academic background belittled - I must have done well in college because it was easy, not because I'm actually clever. When these guys establish, that I am not in fact an idiot, they then try to insinuate that they thought so because I didn't 'act clever' or talk about my studies/politics/philosophy. As if I'm going to sit down in the pub and start talking about Sartre with a randomer I've only just met! I want to have a pleasant chat, not show off my knowledge or quiz them on theirs. I hate people who do that. I think it's rude.

I just hate feeling like I constantly have to prove myself all the time. As if it's assumed I'm an airhead until I prove otherwise. Men don't get that.[/quote]

Yeh yeh yeh, but more importantly, are you hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

[quote=[Deleted User];62576613]I'm really hoping that's a tongue in cheek post, but the amount of airheaded bimbos I encounter on daily basis make me fairly sure that it isn't.

I just hate feeling like I constantly have to prove myself all the time. As if it's assumed I'm an airhead until I prove otherwise. Men don't get that.[/QUOTE]

you sound like you are truly the victim of oppression , in the words of bill clinton , i feel your pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

[quote=[Deleted User];62576613]I'm sick of things being explained to me as if there was no way I could have possibly known anything about them (IT people are the worst culprits).[/quote]

As an "IT person" (well, someone who is very interested in computers and now studying them in college, so maybe I'm not one yet) I treat everyone like this unless I have a good reason not to, doesn't matter what their gender is.
    Before you cry sexism you've got to make sure that men aren't treated just as bad

• Pygmalion wrote: »
    As an "IT person" (well, someone who is very interested in computers and now studying them in college, so maybe I'm not one yet) I treat everyone like this unless I have a good reason not to, doesn't matter what their gender is.
    Before you cry sexism you've got to make sure that men aren't treated just as bad

Why? Don't you think that's condescending? I'm interested in computers too, I'm studying them in college as well and I started building websites at 13, so I don't like people assuming I don't know anything. I don't do that to people. It's like saying 'I know all this because I'm clever/it's my interest, but you wouldn't possibly understand.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm so sick of the condescending attitude I get from men on a daily basis. I'm shocked at how many seem to think that I'm thick/not logical/can't turn on a PC because I'm a girl. I'm sick of things being explained to me as if there was no way I could have possibly known anything about them (IT people are the worst culprits)[/QUOTE]

lol IT people are condescending? There is a checklist manner to solve IT problems. We don't have separate lists for if it is a smart person or a woman we are dealing with.

You start with the simplist solution to a problem because its the easiest way to fix it and about half the time its the problem because regardless of gender, Irish people have no education in computers generally unless they actually work in IT.

• Advertisement

• thebman wrote: »
    lol IT people are condescending? There is a checklist manner to solve IT problems. We don't have separate lists for if it is a smart person or a woman we are dealing with.

You start with the simplist solution to a problem because its the easiest way to fix it and about half the time its the problem because regardless of gender, Irish people have no education in computers generally unless they actually work in IT.
    ??

I'm not talking about ringing a call centre or getting something fixed. I'm talking about general conversations. The amount of times I mention I'm taking a computer related course, and the guy smirks and asks if it's office skills is ridiculous. Or if I say I've designed websites and it's assumed I used one of those WYSIWYG editors. Are you really trying to tell me a man would get this kind of reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

[quote=[Deleted User];62576777]
    One thing I have noticed is that it's nearly always the guys who don't have much going on upstairs themselves who treat me like an idiot.[/QUOTE]
    You'd be surprised...
    sheeple.png

[quote=[Deleted User];62577997]??
    I'm not talking about ringing a call centre or getting something fixed. I'm talking about general conversations. The amount of times I mention I'm taking a computer related course, and the guy smirks and asks if it's office skills is ridiculous. Or if I say I've designed websites and it's assumed I used one of those WYSIWYG editors. Are you really trying to tell me a man would get this kind of reaction?[/QUOTE]
    No but we have a right to. When the women start filling up the computer classes then we'll stop making the jokes. Every lad i've talked to in a computer courses has around 2-4 girls in the class max. The men in my family all have at least some basic intuitive knowledge of computers. The girls still call me if any pop ups come up or if their fave website is down wanting me to fix it. I'm afraid that's just the statistics talking. If you can prove your worth as a girl though you get a hell of a lot more respect for it then you would if you were a guy (plus a lot of interest as well). I'm not sure if that counts seeing as it's probably due to a lack of expectations on a wide scale for women and computers but anyway.

[quote=[Deleted User];62577794]Why? Don't you think that's condescending? I'm interested in computers too, I'm studying them in college as well and I started building websites at 13, so I don't like people assuming I don't know anything. I don't do that to people. It's like saying 'I know all this because I'm clever/it's my interest, but you wouldn't possibly understand.'[/QUOTE]

They have to though because most people don't :confused:

If you don't wanted to be treated like that start talking about the upcoming release of windows 7 or something to show you have an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

In my opinion, I think women in this country especially if they are intelligent, opinionated and strong are not respected and are looked down upon. Men are intimidated by them and therefore dont respect them and constantly try to undermine them.....especially in the business world!

Its an opinion before u start off! :D

[quote=[Deleted User];62577997]??

I'm not talking about ringing a call centre or getting something fixed. I'm talking about general conversations. The amount of times I mention I'm taking a computer related course, and the guy smirks and asks if it's office skills is ridiculous. Or if I say I've designed websites and it's assumed I used one of those WYSIWYG editors. Are you really trying to tell me a man would get this kind of reaction?[/QUOTE]

Its impossible to know what way a guy would be treated because I don't know enough about the situation. Generally if someone says they are taking an IT course, I'd ask what course it was without making reference to anything else. I don't know why anyone would bring up specifics if they didn't know.

The other thing I would say is that there are very few women in IT so it could just be an ignorant assumption. I know very few women in programming and in our course in college, there was less than 10 women in the class.

What I found more distrubing is when our company was downsizing there was only one woman left in the IT department and she went on maternity leave. The change in attitude by the manager and the senior members of the department was crazy. The manager actually was making comment about how great it was to only have lads in the department. Thought that was well off and annoyed me but they were all football nuts too so they just wanted to talk about Liverpool all the time. I'm not a big fan of the premiership so that was sh** TBH.

They have to though because most people don't :confused:

If you don't wanted to be treated like that start talking about the upcoming release of windows 7 or something to show you have an interest.

The polite thing to do is ask. If I need to explain or elaborate something, I always ask if the person is into whatever I'm talking about. I'd feel like a d!ckhead if I explained the meaning of a Hebrew word to someone who turned out to be Israeli or taking an advanced degree in Hebrew. People don't wear signs advertising their nationality, education and interests. I'd tend to assume there's no reason they wouldn't know something. If you know it, why wouldn't they?

Its impossible to know what way a guy would be treated because I don't know enough about the situation. Generally if someone says they are taking an IT course, I'd ask what course it was without making reference to anything else. I don't know why anyone would bring up specifics if they didn't know.

That's my entire point. There is no reason to make such comments, except for the fact I'm a young (and I like to think attractive) woman. That seems to be reason enough for a lot of men to slap on the bimbo label. My boyfriend says he's doing computers, he gets 'cool man, what exactly is it?' I get 'oh what, are you doing beginner's Word? *guffaw*' A lot of men turn to my boyfriend to explain anything remotely technical (and he's usually quick to tell them I probably know better than him, bless him). It's sexism, pure and simple.

[quote=[Deleted User];62578181]That's my entire point. There is no reason to make such comments, except for the fact I'm a young (and I like to think attractive) woman. That seems to be reason enough for a lot of men to slap on the bimbo label. My boyfriend says he's doing computers, he gets 'cool man, what exactly is it?' I get 'oh what, are you doing beginner's Word? *guffaw*' A lot of men turn to my boyfriend to explain anything remotely technical (and he's usually quick to tell them I probably know better than him, bless him). It's sexism, pure and simple.[/QUOTE]

They sound like tools that don't actually know anything about computers themselves.

[quote=[Deleted User];62578130]The polite thing to do is ask. If I need to explain or elaborate something, I always ask if the person is into whatever I'm talking about. I'd feel like a d!ckhead if I explained the meaning of a Hebrew word to someone who turned out to be Israeli or taking an advanced degree in Hebrew. People don't wear signs advertising their nationality, education and interests. I'd tend to assume there's no reason they wouldn't know something. If you know it, why wouldn't they?[/QUOTE]

Generally I know the solution because I've been playing with computers since I could walk. I know what department the people I'm dealing with are in so its a safe assumption someone in sales isn't going to be big into computers. When you start off you like to think people know something and try to tease it out but as time goes on it just becomes clear that one in maybe a hundred or a thousand calls you get will be from someone that actually knows what a Firefox plugin is.

I'd hope those people would actually try to talk up about it because then I can actually have a conversation with them rather than get a blank look when trying to explain what a problem was to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I feel disrespected being told I can't have an opinion on abortion because I'm a man.

So there! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Women invented a lot of things from the dishwasher, to the rolling pin, to ironing boards & chocolate chip cookies. Granted, they were all invented for their own use, but you gotta give them the respect they deserve. :D
    Don't forget the cat'o'ninetails whip. A woman invented this awesome torture device oh and I nearly forgot- a woman also invented that spear with spikes bent in towards the person throwing it- so it goes into the victim easily but rips out the victims insides if they or the attacker tries to pull it out

Advertisement