Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography work experience

• 16-10-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi all.

I am a media student and have to complete 10 days work experience within the next 7 months.

Would love any advice or suggestions of anything within the photography sector that accept work experience students. Does anyone know anywhere that accepts students?

Even one day is helpful. Does any photographers here accept work experience students?

Preferably operating on the North Side. (Dublin)

Thanks, Jennifer.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi all.

I am a media student and have to complete 10 days work experience within the next 7 months.

Would love any advice or suggestions of anything within the photography sector that accept work experience students. Does anyone know anywhere that accepts students?

Even one day is helpful. Does any photographers here accept work experience students?

Preferably operating on the North Side.

Thanks, Jennifer.

Start sending out emails to some of the pros also try a few estate agents and ask them if the want a student photographer to take photos for them

try the fashion students and ask them if they need a photographer

also models starting out might do it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Thanks for the reply but we have to work under a person and learn from them for work experience. Ideally I would need to work with the person taking the models pictures, not do it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Just spend one day shooting horses with Borderfox, you'll feel one year older, colder and richer of some experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

It may help if you specify the area you want experience in.

Sorry all, in Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I think STG meant what area of photography - fashion, wedding, wildlife, sport etc. Not what physical area. Although that helps too :)

Ohh that would make sense Sinead! Sorry I've my head in the clouds at the minute.

I am open to pretty much every area of photography. We've only started learning and getting assignments so all we have been doing is your basic shutter speed, aperture, composition ect. And then a seperate module in Photoshop :)

So in answer any area lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Shame I am not in Dublin as I would have helped :o;):D

I know a few fulltime people in the Dublin area and will speak to them to see if they could do with a "helper"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Well - does your education institution have a newspaper (student run etc)? I found that getting assignments really helps you learn about what shots "work" and what doesn't.

And since assignments usually last a few hours for each event you can relax and get a few hundred photos to get something the editor's going to like. Wide variety of work too (especially as student newspapers often don't have dedicated fashion/sports/documentary etc shooters). I just shot a fencing match, and then I was in a club last night, could have gone to a rugby match today etc.

Or do you prefer to have a physical tutor beside you to teach you the ropes as it were?

MikeAnywhere - awe thanks pity your not up here. That would be great, anyone operating on the North side would be perfect as I don't have transport to the city center :(

ThirdFox - Thanks I will look into the newsletter. I know I have seen some flyers around the college looking for people to send in submissions for a newsletter. There is a journalism course in the college so that could be why.

Yes the physical tutor is ideal but to be honest getting work experience where you are thought is pretty rare, usually it's just helping out and observing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oh and another thiing in favour of newspapers - they send you to do some really interesting assignments - I've shot Nobel prize winners, the ex-manager of Daft Punk at a rave/club, famous actors/politicians etc just from being one of the newspaper's photogs. Being a photog for an organisation gets you access to more places and people are generally more amenable to getting their photographs taken too.

So I think it's a good way of building up an interesting portfolio if one is needed.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Oh and another thiing in favour of newspapers - they send you to do some really interesting assignments - I've shot Nobel prize winners, the ex-manager of Daft Punk at a rave/club, famous actors/politicians etc just from being one of the newspaper's photogs. Being a photog for an organisation gets you access to more places and people are generally more amenable to getting their photographs taken too.

So I think it's a good way of building up an interesting portfolio if one is needed.

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

I have sent emails to some photographers in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 martin the photographer

contact me in june, have weddings on, and might bring you along as a back up if you are interested

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply but I found work experience and finished my course for the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JuliePhotoArt

Hi Martin,
    I'd like to work with you as a backup.

I've been doing wedding photography in Ukraine for few years and now temporary moved to Dublin.

You can take a look at my work here: http://julie-romanenko.livejournal.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

I worked with two press photographers during 4th year as my work experience. It was amazing! After it I was sure photography was for me.
    I'd highly recommend it if you can find find somebody to take you along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 donallen194

Sorry all, in Dublin :)

Hi,

sorry, But please tell me where you want

Advertisement