Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offering my dog for stud questions?

Options
  • 16-10-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

My king charles is 1 year old and i'm thinking of putting him up for stud. How does this work exactly? Should i be paid up front or when the bitch has a litter. If the bitch does not fall pregnant is it free to service the bitch again. how does the whole process work? Thanks in advance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Is your king charles registered with the IKC?

also found this http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/board/topic/55104.html might be of some good info too

and this one http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1016 I know it's the English Kennel Club but the IKC never seem to update their site and there's some info on the UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Lots of info there star-pants which leave's me with plenty to think about. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 harryR

Theres no money in dog breeding incase your looking to make a few quid on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

i personally think hes a little young :o

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Before you even consider it you need to have your dog mri'd to make sure he doesn't have syringmyelia, if you don't know what this is you shouldn't even be thinking about breeding.

He also needs to be cleared for heart murmur, 50% of all CKCS will have one before 5 and pretty much all will have one by the age of 10.

Seen as all of your questions are money orientated it comes across that you aren't interested in anything else and that worries me.

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=21896

WARNING: some may find this disturbing to watch:
    http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n272/cavaliertalk/?action=view&current=Chris4.flv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Daithi07 wrote: »
    My king charles is 1 year old and i'm thinking of putting him up for stud. How does this work exactly? Should i be paid up front or when the bitch has a litter. If the bitch does not fall pregnant is it free to service the bitch again. how does the whole process work? Thanks in advance?

1 year old is way too young to be breeding, let alone breeding a breed that has such serious health problems. MVD (mitral valve disease) and heart murmurs are rampant in this breed (as mentioned above) and if you are serious about studding your dog, you should get it an ECG. A standard vet cert will not suffice in this situation. Also, syringmyelia (SM) is very common and symptoms of this may not show up until the dog is 3. An MRI is the only way to know for sure if your dog has this but even if it is mild it progresses over the dogs lifetime (as does MVD), so a dog with any sign of it at all should not be bred from.

Other health problems include patella (knee) problems and eye issues. At 1, most dogs appear perfectly healthy (and are) but given a few years and often times health problems rear their ugly heads. It is completely irresponsible to breed a dog that is very young (under 2.5) and hasn't had health checks (once again, general vet certs are not enough) because the next generation will have problems passed on. Breeding and breeders aim is to improve the breed not to cause it more problems in the future.

Money wise, breeding isn't as lucrative as so many people think it is. If done the correct way, breaking even or a little profit is a plus. Obviously, there are breeders that make a mint on their dogs, but more often than not these breeders are not doing it for the right reasons and the dogs are the ones who suffer.

If you are serious about studding your dog, please wait a few years and get it tested to ensure resulting pups are healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

What health checks has your dog gotten, King Charles suffer from a variety of health problems and should be check for all of them before you can consider breeding them and passing them onto possible pups. Also has your dog been shown, what titles does he have? If he hasn't been shown how do you know if he is good enough to breed from? Only the v.best of the best of each breed should be bred. He maybe a perfectly good 'pet' dog and lovely to look at but shelters are full of dogs like this so breeding more should not be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Jesus, is it any wonder dogs are bred at all. Especially CKC's. With all the health problems they all seem to have not even the so called reputable breeders should any business breeding them as the will all have health problems eventually. I for one have never seen animal shelters full of pedigree dogs, only mutts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Jesus, is it any wonder dogs are bred at all. Especially CKC's. With all the health problems they all seem to have not even the so called reputable breeders should any business breeding them as the will all have health problems eventually. I for one have never seen animal shelters full of pedigree dogs, only mutts!!

I know, its really sad that a breed should suffer from so many ailments.

The reality though is that shelters and pounds are full of pedigree dogs, as well as mutts. I have 4 pb alaskan malamutes here at the moment and 4 pb siberian huskies, all taken from pounds or surrendered in. Some of them came with papers. All are now neutered, even the ones that would be great examples of the breeds. I also have some sibe or mal crosses. Some of the dogs that I take in, whilst they are pb dogs are really not well bred at all, lovely dogs, but not what the breed should be, probably because breeders didn't do the relevant health checks, ensure the dogs were good examples of the breed etc.

When I got my first male sibe I wanted to use him as a stud dog, he is a gorgeous boy, but then I got him hipscored, and that was the end of that, I got him neutered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Have a look at this link:-
    http://www.ispca.ie/rehoming.aspx
    it has a St. Bernard, Dalmation, Boxer, Samoyed all in a shelter for adoption because someone thought it would be fun or a good money maker to breed them but where are their breeders now???
    I have a Chihuahua bitch who I am asked at least once a month by a passerby if I would be breeding pups from her as they would like one, she is IKC reg. but she has never been shown so how do I know if she is a good example of the breed, I don't know enough about her genetic history to know if some hidden problem will pop up in one of her offspring so she will be spayed in January. There is so much work, research and sometime heartache attached to breeding, not to mention the fact that you are responsible for every little life you help create for the next 14 years, is this a commitment your are willing to make???

Advertisement