Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hey hey - university paper stole my photos...

• 16-10-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Not nice...since I actually shoot for the rival university paper and those photos were clearly labelled as being for the other paper (as well as being copyrighted of course). Didn't even credit me in the byline.

Oh well, time to send a receipt for use of my photos I suppose. I suppose since they're just a college paper I should give them a discount? 2 images, 1/8th size, what do you think I should charge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I wouldn't give them any discount.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

It wasn't a collage by any chance? Sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I think they lost their entitlement to a discount by stealing your photos in the first place. Full whack I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Thanks for the suggestions guys - just back from 2 hours in a booming nightclub shooting photos for another assignment (it would be pretty funny if these photos got snapped up too!) Anyone here know of Busy P?

You can look forward to pictures of pretty girls (and handsome guys) in the random photo thread soonish ;) - oh and thank goodness I brought my earplugs! :D

edit: does anyone have any fees to suggest? - I'm ballparking around 40-60 euro per image (I'd prefer not to have to take this up to a small claims court ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

What Uni paper do you actually shoot for?

• Advertisement

Trinity News (also the name of the album from which the University Times took their photos from).

I'll keep you guys updated on how this plays out ultimately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Anyone here know of Busy P?

Yep, throw the pics up. Seen him a few times, bit of a loon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Which photo was used in the University times that u shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    I think they lost their entitlement to a discount by stealing your photos in the first place. Full whack I say

full whack and then some I say :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I offered our college paper to use (for free) a selection of my shots last week... and indeed they did... but didn't get a mention or credit near any of them - felt a bit hard done by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

gary82 wrote: »
    I offered our college paper to use (for free) a selection of my shots last week... and indeed they did... but didn't get a mention or credit near any of them - felt a bit hard done by.

Lesson learnt there, dont work for free.

Third, I'm not aware of college papers etc but I think 20 an image would suffice although it depends on size, context etc, and what value you put on your own work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Lesson learnt there, dont work for free.

I'm 95% sure everyone who contributes to that paper works for free... it's a free paper that's distributed within the college. I must look into it though. I'm happy just getting some shots published really to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'm 95% sure everyone who contributes to that paper works for free... it's a free paper that's distributed within the college. I must look into it though. I'm happy just getting some shots published really to be honest!

There's no harm in it, but just make sure to ask for attribution the next time, and maybe contact details in the appropriate section if you're looking to get some paid work out of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

happened to me a few time last year... kicked up a mighty fuss... cant search threads tho... grr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

happened to me a few time last year... kicked up a mighty fuss... cant search threads tho... grr

you can search here:
    http://www.google.com/cse/home?oe=utf8&ie=utf8&source=uds&cx=015629080850121088849:g29jlbshhzw&start=0&hl=en

swingking wrote: »
    Which photo was used in the University times that u shot?

It was the two fencing photos on the sports page. I know you're a photog for the UT so please don't feel like I'm lambasting them for this mistake (and I think it was probably a mistake on the editor's part and nothing intentional).

In the end - I think I'll just ask that they have an apology put out in the next edition and make a small contribution to a charity that I subscribe to (they are a free paper after all, and I worked with them previously a few years ago, the editor was a really nice lady back then).

Always get confirmation of exactly what's going to happen to your photos.

*dons law student cap* - though in this case it would be in the newspaper's best interest to have a written agreement with you. Like in my case, you (and I) are fully allowed to claim a fee for the use of our images. It's in the paper's best interest to have a written agreement with you. Otherwise you can turn around and bring trouble to them.

What happened to you in the end? Your photos ended up in a DIT paper then I guess? (You study at DIT right...or was that DCU?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It was the two fencing photos on the sports page. I know you're a photog for the UT so please don't feel like I'm lambasting them for this mistake (and I think it was probably a mistake on the editor's part and nothing intentional).

In the end - I think I'll just ask that they have an apology put out in the next edition and make a small contribution to a charity that I subscribe to (they are a free paper after all, and I worked with them previously a few years ago, the editor was a really nice lady back then).

Always get confirmation of exactly what's going to happen to your photos.

*dons law student cap* - though in this case it would be in the newspaper's best interest to have a written agreement with you. Like in my case, you (and I) are fully allowed to claim a fee for the use of our images. It's in the paper's best interest to have a written agreement with you. Otherwise you can turn around and bring trouble to them.

What happened to you in the end? Your photos ended up in a DIT paper then I guess? (You study at DIT right...or was that DCU?)

GCD... it got sorted... thats all i'll say :rolleyes:

Ah - should have seen your signature :D

And you're a mod for the DIT forum - that's why I assumed DIT first...well glad to hear it got sorted.

Wish me luck with my complaint! Hopefully the red cross will be able to benefit from my photos ;)

Just to let everyone who was following this know how it panned out in the end.

The editor emailed me back and apologised, and stated that there will be an accreditation in the next edition of the paper and that they will be making a donation to the Irish Red Cross (as I requested they do).

I help charity and educate some people about copyright infringement. My job here is done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If I were you, I'd drop the editor a note saying that you're a bit annoyed you didn't get a photo credit. Writers would be just as annoyed if they didn't get one. They can be left out by accident. But if the editor has any copon, they'll take extra care in future as well as probably putting a little note in the next paper with an apology. Easily done. As an ex-editor of a college paper, photographers in that kind of environment are like gold dust - they'll be willing to fix the steps they should have initially done to keep you on side.

Glad Thirdfox got sorted out as well obviously:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I saw the photo you took of the campanile in TN with the moon in the background. Amazing shot!

Advertisement