Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the ideals of the RIRA the same as those of the men of 1916?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mr.Blue wrote: »
    Hmm.. I fail to see the relevence in that post.

I said in that comment that the people who died in Omagh were killed by accident. I didn't say it wasn't the RIRA's fault. And that's something nobody seems to be willing to accept wether that be due to their blind hatred for republicans in general or some other reason.. it's just beyond me that people can't accept the facts.

This has nothing to do with my opinions on the republicans. As I said in a previous post, planting bombs is not the same as playing pass the parcel. It is no accident that people were killed by a bomb that has no other purpose than to cause wrekage, be it human or other. Bombs are designed to destroy things or life. If you leave one lying about, you are responsible for what it destroys whether you meant it or not. There in no such thing as diminished responsibility when it comes to leaving leathal devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mr.Blue wrote: »
    it's just beyond me that people can't accept the facts.

Let me see....would that be like the fact that if you deliberately leave a bomb in a crowded city centre that someone is likely to get killed or maimed.....meaning that it's definitely not "an accident" ?

Accidents are caused by oversights and coincidences. How would you describe (a) creating a live bomb and (b) leaving it on the side of a street ?

And - just hypothetically - how would you describe it if it were the British or the Loyalist terrorists that did just that ? Would it still be an "accident" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭stefanj

My bomb killed you - you weren'y supposed to be there - sorry ducky.. that's you're fault. You were there at the wrong place at the wrong time. ooops. it was an "accident" that you DIED.

OOOOPS.

Sorry

Not MY fault. ( I warned the authorities)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭stefanj

OOOOps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

getz wrote: »
    i just moved house from manchester two years ago, and i can assure you the manchester gangs are made up mostly from the ages of 14 to the mid 20s they are not SOPHISTICATED most have no jobs or education,selling drugs is their main income,they carry and use guns,

Good for you, I just moved back here from London two years ago and will confirm what you say about low-level street gangs. Those higher-level organised criminals in places like Glasgow, Liverpool, London and Manchester however, are sophisticated and often preside over multi-million pound drugs empires.
    because guns are easy to get from northern island

My arse. Nearly all the gear in the hands of criminals both in this country and in England is sourced by the gangs themselves, usually coming in with drug shipments. If you think Republicans are running around England flogging weapons then you're mistaken to be honest, and if you think that the bulk of weapons currently being used by Jamaican and Somali crackpots in English cities are of Irish-origin then you're thoroughly off the wall.
    last year a manchester evening news reporter went under cover and joined one of the street gangs,and was present at the exchange of guns for drugs deal,it was he who pointed the finger at the INLA.

If the INLA wanted drugs they'd just buy them themselves, they wouldn't be off peddling small arms to 20 year olds in Manchester in exchange for them. Similarly many of the Irish criminals in England also adopt certain names for themselves to give themselves prestige, something I've seen myself before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

FTA69 wrote: »
    getz wrote: »

Good for you, I just moved back here from London two years ago and will confirm what you say about low-level street gangs. Those higher-level organised criminals in places like Glasgow, Liverpool, London and Manchester however, are sophisticated and often preside over multi-million pound drugs empires.

My arse. Nearly all the gear in the hands of criminals both in this country and in England is sourced by the gangs themselves, usually coming in with drug shipments. If you think Republicans are running around England flogging weapons then you're mistaken to be honest, and if you think that the bulk of weapons currently being used by Jamaican and Somali crackpots in English cities are of Irish-origin then you're thoroughly off the wall.

If the INLA wanted drugs they'd just buy them themselves, they wouldn't be off peddling small arms to 20 year olds in Manchester in exchange for them. Similarly many of the Irish criminals in England also adopt certain names for themselves to give themselves prestige, something I've seen myself before.
    am i supposed to believe you than believe willie o;dea the junior justice minister who represents limerick in the dublin parliment?,who said renegade republican terrorists are trading guns for drugs with some of the UKs most dangerous gangs in cities such as manchester and birmingham,or the BBCs radio 4 who revealed that the firearms were being supplied by the continuity IRA,[i think thats called ;check mate;]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

No. The real ira split from the provos in 1997 so that would mean they recognise the southern government. the continuity ira split in 86 so it would mean that they do not recognise partition and so would make them the same as the men of 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

am i supposed to believe you than believe willie o;dea the junior justice minister who represents limerick in the dublin parliment?

"Well I used to be a bouncer in England and a Fianna Fáil politician told me so."

Grand job kid, believe whatever bullsh*t you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

FTA69 wrote: »
    "Well I used to be a bouncer in England and a Fianna Fáil politician told me so."

Grand job kid, believe whatever bullsh*t you want.
    i can tell you have been in tough fights,and as for being a kid ,i am old enough to have changed your dads nappy ,but its nice to know you know more than the irish/british goverments,take off the rose tinted glasses,terrorist in ireland now have no reason to plant bombs and murder people,and those who support them are not working for a united ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

The staunchest republicans I know, all work for the Public Sector up North

hate the British, but not to proud to take "the Queen's Shilling" :rolleyes:

Funny how many of the "RIRA" have involvement in criminal enterprises

only run for the 'cause' don't you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

BennyLava wrote: »

Aye, why wouldn't republicans work in the public sector, in your opinion? Isn't that the whole point of moving forward and actually trying to make some kind of acceptable change? Or do you think republicans are sell-outs for doing so. In which case, you'd see the likes of the RIRA as the only 'true' republicans. Don't tar all republicans with the same brush, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Shane-1 wrote: »
    I personally dont believe that the RIRA set out to deliberately kill innocent people on that day, it was never the intent of the IRA, in any of its guises, (1) to kill the innocent. I believe that those who lost their lives at Omagh were victims of the (2) inexperience of the RIRA at the time and their eagerness to pull off a (3) 'spectacular' as soon as possible. I do not kow what the decision making process was for that day but as soon as the (4) operatives found that they could not place the bomb where it was intended the operation should have been called off. The consequences of Omagh have not had any (5) benifit whatsoever for the RIRA or the cause for which they fight. It was an absolute disaster.
    (1) Of course innocent people were murdered by the IRA. When you plant a bomb people die you know, 'guilty' as you might say and the 'innocent' as you might say. Bombs kill people you know. The IRA also murdered innocent people in other ways over the years as well.

(2) "victims of the inexperience of the RIRA", what the hell does this mean? The (less than 200-member) RIRA were setting out to murder, that's what happens when you plant and detonate bombs you know. If they weren't trying to murder people, were they trying to destroy the fabric of Omagh. What was this trying to prove?

(3) "a 'spectacular'", bombs kill people you know, when someone plants a bomb there is a likelihood that people will die. What was the (less than 200-member) RIRA trying to prove by planting and setting off the bomb. They were trying to terrorise.

(4) operatives usually work in a factory of similar. I think these people should be considered bombers/murderers.

(5) "benefit":eek::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    People have been known to die when bombs are detonated you know. Is this a benefit? I think not. If no one had died at Omagh, not all the women, men and children, or the unborn children, what would have been the benefit of the bomb as you see it for the (less than 200-member) RIRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

BennyLava wrote: »

yeah it's the same with Gerry Adams and the other abstentionist Westminster MP's being happy to claim House of Commons expenses etc. Even though they seek election they chose to ignore the parliament. They can't fully represent their electorate by not attending, imo.

Advertisement