Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the official Brazillian GP thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The race:

What a stonking race! Honestly one of the best I've ever watched. When I watched quali this morning, I finally started to let doubts creep in that Button really was about to throw it away. What a drive. He did exactly what doubters said he can't do: be aggressive, fight people out of the way, and fight. His weekend was written off. I expected Vettel to swamp him at the start, and push him out the the way. None of it. Some amazing overtaking, watching Grosjean making life difficult as hell for him was brilliant, and the way he got past people was great. Once he was settled into the late race order, he slowed it down, took it home and made sure he scored the points: That's why he's champion. Took the moves when he saw them, put in the laps when he needed them, got the car home. Nobody else all year has been able to make the races count, and I'd say there's been 2 or 3 bad performances from him over the whole year.

Vettel and Hamilton also drove great races. Who says there's no overtaking anymore?

Kobayashi evidently thought he was driving a kart, sweeping all over the track in front of Button, taking Nakajima out, I'm suprised he didn't get a drive through.

Trulli having a go at Sutil for one of the few incidents where I think Sutil wasn't at fault. Great to see drivers arguing, would have liked to see some helmets being swung though.

Alguersari made amends for last week by commenting to Ted Kravitz: "I'm just here to learn, I'm not going to get in Button's way, I'll let him through".

Briliant race, brilliant finale, deserving champions all round. Ross Brawn's comment to the staff of Brawn that were let go at christmas that this was for them too, shows the difference between a class act, and someone like Luca di Montezemelo or Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭edgy

I just saw there that the Trulli/Sutil incident was regarded as a racing incident and there was no action taken but Trulli got a $10,000 fine for not leaving the track and for being aggressive to Aridan Sutil! Also Kovi got a 25 sec (drive through) & McLaren got a penalty $50,00 fine for the pitlane incident. What a race, but Im so happy for Button, he really did deserve to be champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Oblomov wrote: »
    But, that's not the way to win friends and influence people... you keep quiet becasue you're only the driver... the engineers, the tyre people and the machanics and the fuel guys and the engine men all contribute and to get the prima donna mouthing it off does not win friends and make for a winning team.

And that's a fact of life.

That's funny because I could have sworn I just saw Jenson Button win the world drivers title and Brawn GP win the constructors title today. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Just as a question, how many fastest laps and pole positions did Jenson put in this season?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just as a question, how many fastest laps and pole positions did Jenson put in this season?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Formula_One_season#Statistics

Edit: Looks like the only one of the stats there that he does not come top of the list on is the fastest laps, you don't get points for those though.

Everything you need to know here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Formula_One_season#Results_and_standings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

What difference dose it make. Its points WDC's are given for.

Are you suggesting Hamilton dosent deserve his championship since Kimi had more fastest laps than him?

No one is saying Button is the best driver in F1 but over the season he did the best job.

amacachi wrote: »
    His car was far superior to Rubens' was it?

He's saying it as an answer to the, to be frank, bull**** that people in the sport who should know better have been coming out with about him over the past couple of months.

If I could "thanks" this post twice, I would. Button has put up with ****e all year. For Sure, he's been under pressure the last half of the season and hasn't kept up the same form he did pre-silverstone. Since he was utterly ****ing Schumacher-esque dominant (over his teammate, for the "it's all the car" doubters) before then, that's a big ask. His first real run at the title, he's allowed a bit of pressure-related nerves I think.
    me@ucd wrote: »
    last to post wins :pac:
    agree to disagree ;)

but if it means anything Im torn between being glad he won, but tad disappointed the way it was done.
    can anyone remember a season which a driver started out winning (in the best car) and then went on to limp through (you know scoring almost no pts and 7/8 pos) and win the championship?

Ive looked back to 1999 and cant find one yet.
    tbh when I hear people come out with button is a world class top of his game driver, I can only assume they dont know much about his career before Brawn GP :p
    and I wouldnt have much respect for their opinion. [shrug]

Shows what you know. As has been pointed out, Rosberg for one won with a single race win to his name. Button won the WDC with more wins than Hamilton. As for his career before Brawn GP, Google is your friend. He's beaten ever teammate he ever had, bar one year in an undrivable car, and his pre-F1 career he was a stellar, constant winner.
    Yup, I didn't hear him praise the car or team once in the first half of the season.

+1, Button is a gentleman driver, and his class shows through. He never makes a comment about performance that's not backed up with facts, and he's not a driver that would slam into a wall when asked, or lie to the stewards when asked, or refuse to relinquish a race win that his team fixed for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    No one is saying Button is the best driver in F1 but over the season he did the best job.

And on that bombshell its time to end the show - Goodnight! (do do do do do do dooo do do do do...........do do do do di do di di do)

And if 'no one' had have implied that earlier on, this thread would be about 48 posts shorter :p

• Advertisement

From the FIA website and the details from the post quali press review.

Q: (Ingo Rörsch – Sportbild) Rubens, in the first part of the season, Jenson was usually in front of you. Now, in the second part of the season, you are always in front of him. Can you explain why it has changed?
    RB:
    I’ve tried to explain to everyone that I had some technical problems with the brakes. My brakes were working perfectly but unfortunately, with this car, the way it’s built, I had the rear callipers running too hot and because of that, I couldn’t run the rear wheel covers for most of the time. The balance was not the same. The car was still good but it wasn’t as good as Jenson had it at times. For the past three years I’ve tried the brakes that Jenson were using and I never liked them. We tried and took them off and just before Silverstone we said we should try them again because we’re losing too much time, and then since Silverstone I’ve been using those brakes and I have the same quality of car that Jenson is using, so since then I’ve made a step forward and I’ve been much happier with the whole condition and been helped by the fact that I could use all the aerodynamic devices on the car.

Strange that Nigel Mansell isn't regarded as a 2nd rate driver, despite taking longer to win the WDC than Button did.

@ucd: If you think you've won this argument, mate, you're as delusional and blinkered as your previous posts.

And on that bombshell its time to end the show - Goodnight! (do do do do do do dooo do do do do...........do do do do di do di di do)

And if 'no one' had have implied that earlier on, this thread would be about 48 posts shorter :p

No, you don't get away with it that easily.

You have been asked before on this thread and I will ask you again - Show us where anybody said Button is the best driver in F1 on this thread.

You can't do it because nobody said it. It may have been said he was best this year based on his result but nobody said what you are claiming was said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

From the FIA website and the details from the post quali press review.

Q: (Ingo Rörsch – Sportbild) Rubens, in the first part of the season, Jenson was usually in front of you. Now, in the second part of the season, you are always in front of him. Can you explain why it has changed?
    RB:
    I’ve tried to explain to everyone that I had some technical problems with the brakes. My brakes were working perfectly but unfortunately, with this car, the way it’s built, I had the rear callipers running too hot and because of that, I couldn’t run the rear wheel covers for most of the time. The balance was not the same. The car was still good but it wasn’t as good as Jenson had it at times. For the past three years I’ve tried the brakes that Jenson were using and I never liked them. We tried and took them off and just before Silverstone we said we should try them again because we’re losing too much time, and then since Silverstone I’ve been using those brakes and I have the same quality of car that Jenson is using, so since then I’ve made a step forward and I’ve been much happier with the whole condition and been helped by the fact that I could use all the aerodynamic devices on the car.

Woah, woah, woah, woah. So Rubens is admitting that he had the calipers running too hot? Not only that, but it gets better, it took til the 8th race to try using his faster teammate's set-up!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'm delighted for Button, he thoroughly deserved it, he drove like a man posessed. The race itself got quite boring in the middle but the start and the end were great. Who did Kobayashi think he was, Michael Schumacher?? He was mad!! That scrap with him and Button was great to watch.

From the FIA website and the details from the post quali press review.........

Your point being?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What is it with F1 fans? Its more tribal than footie (and thats saying something).

I notice no-one has had it in their heart to start a well done Jenson Button F1 Champion thread.

Mansell achieved second place at the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps, and followed this with his first victory in 72 starts at the European Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in England

And Jensen Button's was 135 something...

Don't think we should start a thread yet for fear of spoilering?

mike65 wrote: »
    What is it with F1 fans? Its more tribal than footie (and thats saying something).

I notice no-one has had it in their heart to start a well done Jenson Button F1 Champion thread.

Mike, if you took the time to read the thread properly you would see that this is not a 'tribal' issue as you put it, but it is simply a case of some people refusing to give Jenson Button the credit he deserves for his achievements this season.

I don't believe there is a need to open another thread to congratulate Button as he has already got plenty of acknowledgment from the vast majority here but if you really feel there is a need to do so then feel free. It's more your style to just post smart-ass throwaway comments like the above though so perhaps you won't bother.

And Jensen Button's was 135 something...

113 actually but the point made was not that Mansell took longer to win his first race, it was that he took longer to win the world title.

• Advertisement

Italian journo quoted: Button is the worst after Damon Hill, the only to win a title without winning anything in the second half of the season

It's something I've only really noticed today. I've already had a row on facebook with someone. "**** Button, he won't win it again." Lovely sentiment. I was pissed off about Hamilton winning last season but
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411105
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57767930&postcount=15
    If you could be bothered (I can't:P) looking at more threads from the end of last season you'll see the exact same rubbish as in those links. I tried being the voice of reason. :pac:

TBH the reason I didn't start a thread like that is because I assumed this thread would serve as it, how wrong I was.

Italian journo quoted: Button is the worst after Damon Hill, the only to win a title without winning anything in the second half of the season

Oh well that settles it doesn't it.

Italian journos are renowned for their non-partisan reporting. :rolleyes:

Mike, if you took the time to read the thread properly you would see that this is not a 'tribal' issue as you put it, but it is simply a case of some people refusing to give Jenson Button the credit he deserves for his achievements this season.

I don't believe there is a need to open another thread to congratulate Button as he has already got plenty of acknowledgment from the vast majority here but if you really feel there is a need to do so then feel free. It's more your style to just post smart-ass throwaway comments like the above though so perhaps you won't bother.
    Not meaning to speak for Mike but I think he means more about how trench-like this argument has become. What can I say, I'm a classless bastard. :P
    Italians, those most neutral of F1 followers.

Yeah. Fangio only won so much because his team mates were forced to, for example, get out of their cars. I'll take an honest battler over a blatent cheat any day of the week thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hoddlestone

Im Irish and love Button. I get stick for it and am a little ashamed :o I first saw Button in 1998 in F3. I remember one race in particular from then. He was winning the championship and at the race in silverstone, he ran amok at the start and opened a healthy lead but ran into problems and lost 2 or 3 gears. He ended up finishing 3rd or 4th driving half the race with these problems, at that moment I knew he was good. I followed him close and was happy to see him get into f1. He has always had healthy competition beside him in F1 and always beat the competition (in my opinion).

I think the stick he gets in general is ridiculous. He's as good as they get in my opinion and just as good if not better than anyone else on the grid at the moment. Nobody (bar maybe alonso) has pulled off so many good overtaking moves in a season recently than Button this year (one, the best, being on Alonso). Anyway, I think hes great and as long as he has a half competitive car will be up there. Hope he proves all his doubters wrong (which in my opinion he has, but still some people need more proof)). :D

Thats only too true but F1 isn't as cut and paste as footie imo. The polarised views on Michael Schumacher, Senna/Prost or the FIArrai are perfect examples.

I nearly got beat up in Monaco 3 years ago when I got into an argument, in a restaraunt!!, about Michael Schumachers "tactics" with three middle aged couples from Italy. And this was just after him being penalised for his parking manouver the day before.

I've always liked Button and depending on what way the tyres go next year I can see him dominating. If Bridgestone go down the path of having tyres to last a race I can't see anyone being as good as him on them. At the start of the season we saw what's so great about Button, he has the ability to get the best out of a set of tyres on a long-run. He's done it when he got the chance in the second half too. Today he was driving as aggressively as I've ever seen but didn't blow his tyres. He hasn't got the one-lap pace of a Hamilton, Kimi or Trulli (:pac:) but qualifying isn't the race.

The problem is.. every one wants to be associated with the winner, suddenly all the Button supporters appear and pledge a belief that since childhood he has been winning...

The same as any Internet discussion, you'll never convince anyone with snide comments and derogatory remarks.. and as soon as you attack the messenger and not the message, you've lost.

After not speaking to the world's media in the regular post-race press conference because he didn't finish in the top three at Interlagos, F1's governing body convened a special press conference for the new world champion Jenson Button. The 30-minute conference at Interlagos, however, took place in front of an only half-full contingent of reporters, but not as few as those who gathered earlier to hear the race winner Mark Webber.

Part of the reason for the low attendance at Button's conference was the time difference back to Europe, F1's bulk audience, as the Sao Paulo clock showed a time three or four hours earlier than in western Europe, where print deadlines loomed. Briton Button, 29, finished the Brazilian GP fifth after starting fourteenth, hailing the drive as perhaps the best of his entire career.

He also deserved a trophy for repetitiveness, uttering the words "world champion" beyond the tallying powers of those present.

"I'm going to be saying that all night!" he grinned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

The season's not over yet Mr Italian journo :pac:

Sorry to interrupt the flow guys, but does anyone know what time the BBC interactive will start running the replay of the race? Missed it this evening and all thats on at the moment is the highlights. Would like to see the whole race tonight if possible.

The problem is.. every one wants to be associated with the winner, suddenly all the Button supporters appear and pledge a belief that since childhood he has been winning...

The same as any Internet discussion, you'll never convince anyone with snide comments and derogatory remarks.. and as soon as you attack the messenger and not the message, you've lost.

When search comes back look through people's posts in the pasts. I've always said I thought he was an excellent driver and for a good portion of the others they have also thought that. Then there are those who don't think he's the absolute best driver but that he deserved to win the title, they're not mutually exclusive ideas.

What? Congratulating Button or saying he deserves the title dose not mean your a Button supporter or associated with him.

Pointing out that the messenger is demonstrably factually incorrect isn't attacking the messenger.

No, no and no. This is not about jumping on the bandwagon as you would like to make it out to be. It is simply about giving someone credit for what is a great achievement. Personally I would have preferred to see Barrichello win the title as I've admired him since he debuted with Jordan but that doesn't prevent me from giving credit where credit is due.

The message has been addressed very clearly in this thread and I'm sorry if you feel that you have been attacked personally but the fact is that you and others seem to be either unable or unwilling to accept that Jenson Button deserves to be world champion if for no other reason than that he scored more points than any other driver this season.

The 30-minute conference at Interlagos, however, took place in front of an only half-full contingent of reporters, but not as few as those who gathered earlier to hear the race winner Mark Webber.

Part of the reason for the low attendance at Button's conference was the time difference back to Europe, F1's bulk audience, as the Sao Paulo clock showed a time three or four hours earlier than in western Europe, where print deadlines loomed. Briton Button, 29, finished the Brazilian GP fifth after starting fourteenth, hailing the drive as perhaps the best of his entire career.

Also because the world's media had studiously ignored the always monumentally tedious post race FIA conference in favour of following Brawn round the pitlane.
    He also deserved a trophy for repetitiveness, uttering the words "world champion" beyond the tallying powers of those present.

"I'm going to be saying that all night!" he grinned.

Err.... are we seriously going to have a go at him for being happy now? Enjoying the moment? jesus if it went the other way there'd be complaints about stuck up emotionless repressed brits....

Besides which, he lost out on the For Sure championship this weekend I'm certain to the formidable Felipe Massa, who returned for a once-off press conference to shoehorn in no less than 4 For Sures in a single appearance. Clearly in intense form despite a long layoff and in no mood to relinquish any chance at glory. Button still holds the record for his stunning 8 in a single press conference at Monaco, not to mention a clear lead in total For Sure's over the year. With one race to go, maybe we'll see a final charge from him yet.

After looking at the results again and the list of causalities after the various contra temps... Button was oh so lucky..... Kimi, front aero damage... fuel into his eye from the Heikki fuel hose incident.... Heidfeld, Alonso, Trulli and Rosberg all taken out....

The question, would Button have got passed all of those to even get to a points scoring position?

Err.... are we seriously going to have a go at him for being happy now? Enjoying the moment? jesus if it went the other way there'd be complaints about stuck up emotionless repressed brits....

Oh that was already covered earlier this year - don't you remember the thread where there were the complaints about Button being happy after winning a race....?

And you touched on something I didn't want to bring up but I do think it is a major factor in the Button-bashing tonight. He's British and just like Hamilton that's enough for some people to form a blinkered dislike and general disdain towards him.

The question, would Button have got passed all of those to even get to a points scoring position?

No, that's not the question. Had many of them stayed in the race Rubens would have lost even more places after his first stop, and we all know how well he's handled things not going his way.

Would love if the net had been around in 1970, Jochen Rindt didn't score a single point in the last 5 races and still won the title. Did he deserve it?

• Advertisement

After looking at the results again and the list of causalities after the various contra temps... Button was oh so lucky..... Kimi, front aero damage... fuel into his eye from the Heikki fuel hose incident.... Heidfeld, Alonso, Trulli and Rosberg all taken out....

Totally irrelevant because he would still be world champion now even if he had not scored a point today.

Button is the only driver, the only driver who has consistantly done just that all year long. Over and over again, he has put in great overtaking manoevres at critical points, to get himself up the field and into the points, or the podium, or the win, sometimes in a car that hasn't been performing at the front of the pack. He's done for Alonso, Hamilton (in a kers equipped car), Vettel, Webber, Kovalinen (who is rapidly turning into another Trulli Train, and who other drivers haven't been able to get past at all). The only competitor he hasn't passed is Barrichello, and that's because he spent more than half the year ahead of him. I'm sure that in Suzuka he would have done that too.

Yet every race, people point to someone else's "bad luck". If Alonso or Hamilton had draggged their car from 12th in Singapore to 5th, it would be hailed as a genius display of virtuoso natural, clever driving.

Kimi got front aero damage from.... driving into the car in front of him. That's not bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oblomov View Post

Maybe, maybe not, but you can be damn sure he would have tried his hardest. Maybe its the fact that the last four Drivers Crowns have been decided at Interlagos but anytime i've watched a race there its been fantastic, almost every driver going at it hammer and tongs. Kobayashi in his first f***in race at war with Button and Nakajima, Vettel and Hamilton fought their way through almost 10 places up from where they qualified, had Kimi not damaged his front wing early on he could have challenged for the podium (take into account he's leaving Ferrari).

Interlagos has always been a damn good race, congrats to Webber and Kubica for driving quietly but flawlessly. Kobayashi for mixing it with Button in his first race and in fairness Sebastien Buemi, whom i didn't rate as a driver earlier in the season but he is showing serious potential.

Finally, Last but not least, Congrats to Jenson Button on an excellent season and a well deserved drivers crown, Ross Brawn and the rest of Brawn GP crew for taking a team from basically nothing to the pinnacle of motorsport, and to Rubens Barrichello on a great, but ultimately unlucky season.

Am I the only one who saw very little wrong with Kobayashi's driving? At one point he made a perfect manouevre when he saw Button going too fast in, he let him past then took the place back, excellent stuff. And Nakajima went right into the back of him, just like Kimi did into Webber. So if Kobayashi was in the wrong then as far as I'm concerned so was Webber.

Also adding to this years sweetness for Jenson must be seeing cheating Briatore getting his arse kicked out of F1. Remember he called him "just a Journeyman" or something to that effect a few years ago.

Am I the only one who saw very little wrong with Kobayashi's driving? At one point he made a perfect manouevre when he saw Button going too fast in, he let him past then took the place back, excellent stuff. And Nakajima went right into the back of him, just like Kimi did into Webber. So if Kobayashi was in the wrong then as far as I'm concerned so was Webber.
    Nah man i seriously respect Kobayashi for the way he drove today looked good for a point or two at one stage, he's got a pair of balls at least unlike Grosjean and Alguersari who seem to think that everyone else has a divine right to overtake them. Hope Kobayashi gets a race seat for next season

• Advertisement

And Nakajima went right into the back of him,

Were we watching the same race, Martin Brundle commentd on the weave and taking Nakajima out....as Brundle said.... you might do that in the lower formulas but not in F1

Since Button appeared on the F1 scene and mostly ftom his father's money... he has played the part of the playboy and appear to believe his own PR.. a dangerous thing for anyone to do. he has not had the acclaim from his colleagues and the various scrapes he has got into over contracts have left a lot of people shaking their heads.

Were we watching the same race, Martin Brundle commentd on the weave and taking Nakajima out....as Brundle said.... you might do that in the lower formulas but not in F1

Since Button appeared on the F1 scene and mostly ftom his father's money... he has played the part of the playboy and appear to believe his own PR.. a dangerous thing for anyone to do. he has not had the acclaim from his colleagues and the various scrapes he has got into over contracts have left a lot of people shaking their heads.
    Explain these various scrapes, i remember one around 2005/2006 between himself, Williams and Honda which was quite quickly sorted out.............

I thought Webbers move on Kimi was worse and nobody batted an eyelid. I thought Kobayashi was impressive but he was a bit fond of the ol' Schumacher weave, I'm surprised he got away with it.

Since Button appeared on the F1 scene and mostly ftom his father's money...

And yet again you are wrong. You really should try to do some basic research before making an assertion like that. Read this and you might learn something:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8312844.stm

I thought Webber was a bit aggressive on kimi but the move was a single move so it was fair.

Kobayashi did a bit of a double move on Nakajima so im not so sure. Would like to see it again.
    He was ok in the race, did well in front of Button.
    Like i said earlier i think he is a bit like Sato and will be fast and aggressive and crash a fair bit because he wont give up easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement