Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Meetup. >> THE AFTERMATH <<

• 16-10-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Mentioned on another thread the notion of a film meet "soon"

So, what ye all think? Anyone up for it?

No DSLR's allowed. If you haven't a film camera but want to go then buy a disposable for a fiver ;)

Post your suggestions of interesting places / setups to visit and shoot. Locations?

Maybe finish up with developing / printing and comparing over a coffee somewhere?

Thoughts people?

If attending the "film meetup" where is your preference to go (see post #24) 8 votes

a walk in the park (farmleigh, pheonix park)
    0% 0 votes
    a walk on the wild side (street shooting at temple bar)
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

\o/ to a film meet! Though I'd like to develop and process myself so not so much to the latter. Unless we were all to get disposables. DeV mentioned that before and I think its a great idea... Two different ideas though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

YAY! I'll bring my dSLR with me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

deadly ! Count me in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Ooh, I'm up for this, I missed the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I'm in depending on time and location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

"uh uh uh, pick me please"

Actually I do have an old olympus point and shoot with the same film still in it for the last 5 years... Any chance of doing the meet in London? Go on, you know you want to! :D

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    Actually I do have an old olympus point and shoot with the same film still in it for the last 5 years... Any chance of doing the meet in London? Go on, you know you want to! :D

Flight & Acom on you yea ??? :P :P

I didn't think this through, did I :pac:

I didn't think this through, did I :pac:

Well you did offer LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

ooooh yipppppeeee a geeks day out with ye olde filmy cameray bobs :D:D

Can I join your gang. Pleeeese. I love getting the chance to get out and play with some of the older great good cameras.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This sounds like fun.

I have a couple of spare 35mm Compacts to lend to those who need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Give me a PM if you want any advice on film in London :)

I've a few other cameras over here if you want to have a mess around with anything else too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

If someone is ok to lend me a spare film camera I would love to join. The last times I used film I really enjoyed it...

xia wrote: »
    If someone is ok to lend me a spare film camera I would love to join. The last times I used film I really enjoyed it...

I can share mine with you. Or if ya wanted buy a film one which on adverts are going anywhere from 30-100€. I have an Eos500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Rights then. Sounds like a bit of interest so moving this along.

How about next Saturday, early afternoon-ish 24th October?

Location - something Dublin based?

I'm being parochial here as I will be in Dublin next Saturday with a couple of hours to kill from late morning until mid afternoon but if that kinda time didn't work for people that's ok - The purpose of the thread is to organise a film meetup and i'm not particularly required although obviously would like to be around if I could.

Hands up for that?

Next question - where in Dublin?

um today is the 17th do you mean the 24th next Saturday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I'd be on for this! I have an extra camera or 2 that I could bring along...contingent on getting time off college :( fingers crossed!

Chorcai wrote: »
    um today is the 17th do you mean the 24th next Saturday ?

:D Well spotted. Need to fix system date here.

24th it is so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I'm on call that weekend but I'll defo come along if I ain't busy! and stay if there isn't an emergency... :/

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Give me a PM if you want any advice on film in London :)

I've a few other cameras over here if you want to have a mess around with anything else too.

I might just take you up on that offer :) ! Moving to PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I can come along too, I might bring my 3 film cameras, half frame, rangefinder and an slr :)

I wondering about locations - two ideas;

(a) a walk in the park or
    (b) a walk on the wild side

What I had in mind for the walk in the park, was a trip into the Pheonix Park visiting Farmleigh. Haven't been there (it's on my todo) but the list of things to shoot are:

GARDEN
    Clock Tower
    Fountain Lawn
    Dutch-Style Sunken Garden
    Walled Garden
    Boathouse
    Dairy
    Farmleigh Gallery

HOUSE - No Photography Allowed Inside A visit should be possible if its of interest to people and i'm assuming while photography is not allowed inside, the exterior will be fair game.

Inside of note (again no photography) are; The Entrance Hall and Staircase, The Dining Room, The Corridor, The Boudoir, The Library, The Nobel Room and the Blue Drawing Room, The Ballroom, The Conservatory

You could obviously take in other parts of the pheonix park too if the mood struck you.

For (b) a walk on the wild side,

how about a street walk around temple bar area finishing with a visit to the photographers spiritual home National Photographic Archive where there's an exhibition running "If ever you go to Dublin town"
    If ever you go to Dublin town, is an exhibition of evocative photographs by Elinor Wiltshire chronicling Dubliners as they worked, played, shopped and prayed during the 1950s and 1960s. The exhibition title If ever you go to Dublin town takes its name from a poem of the same name by Patrick Kavanagh, who, along with other literary figures, including Flann O’Brien, was a friend and neighbour of Elinor Wiltshire.

I haven't been to this either so if anyone has been to either of the above two areas and wouldn't think it to be a great option then certainly speak up.

As far as I can make out both of these options are zero cost options.

Farmleigh has a cafe as far as I can tell and obviously there's lots of places around Temple Bar.

So does this sound like half a plan to anyone?

Alternate suggestions welcome.

make a poll ? A for me. Never been either, I also know the guys running the cafe there, which could come in handy :)

Ok, poll has been added - voting open for 2 days. Closes Monday at about 2:50pm.

Results hidden until then when the system should reveal all.

EDIT: Oh and another thing. Obviously only vote if you are intending on tagging along. Thanks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd pop along too if it was the steet option.

An Cath you can't photo inside Farmliegh without prior permission.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I can confirm that the last time I was at Farmleigh there was no photography allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I'm happy to bring along a few different cameras to lend to people who don't have their own. Won't make it on the 24th though, so unless the date gets changed, maybe next time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I'm happy to bring along a few different cameras to lend to people who don't have their own. Won't make it on the 24th though, so unless the date gets changed, maybe next time...

And I'm happy to bring a load of "the free film" if anyone wants.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Think I'll tag along. I've a film camera with a half used roll that I'd love to see developed. I'll take a roll of freebie film from Slidinginfinity please and thanks!

Ok, so I'm there on 24th if it's early enough - will meet my ex-boss for dinner that evening so can't stay forever. And will have a day of borrowing a camera - seems like quite a lot of you have more than enough - and would be happy to get one roll of free film. At least I'll pay for the development so that I don't feel like a complete sponger (if that's the right word for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Id love to go! I have several film cameras so can share them out. I will have to beg my boss for the day off though, cos I'm supposed to be working that day :(

I have a half frame yashica samurai, an eos 30 with a couple of nice lenses, a 110 camera and a lubitel (designed for 120 but very cool with 35mm), Oh an a lomo fisheye too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There is one Flexaret 6x6 that I could lend to somebody careful, who owns their own light meter ;-)
    And I have still few rolls of the free film in the fridge I will bring with me, so no worries about that.

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Id love to go! I have several film cameras so can share them out. I will have to beg my boss for the day off though, cos I'm supposed to be working that day :(

I have a half frame yashica samurai, an eos 30 with a couple of nice lenses, a 110 camera and a lubitel (designed for 120 but very cool with 35mm), Oh an a lomo fisheye too.

I'm bringing my half frame olympus pen and would love to see your little Yashica.

I don't know whether to bring 2 or 3 cameras yet

Hey Duff, no worries! Im goin to ring my boss now and see if there is any chance of a saturday off..... fingers crossed cos this sounds like fun!

• Advertisement

ThOnda wrote: »
    There is one Flexaret 6x6 that I could lend to somebody careful, who owns their own light meter ;-)
    And I have still few rolls of the free film in the fridge I will bring with me, so no worries about that.

would you do a show n tell ??:cool::cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i have a lomo fisheye, diane, f90 and some olympus job thats got acracked info screen...so fun will be had with it lol

hmnnn.... voting open until tomorrow but this has been better viewing than a general election :D

There was a general swing initially with one of the two options, then it swung completely in the opposite direction, and now things are in a situation where 2 or so votes one way or the other could decide the fate of where we'll end up. Also worth mentioning that this has gotten quite a good response so assuming everyone who has voted turns up or even allowing for a few drop outs, it has the makings of a well attended event.

So call for last votes should there be anyone else interested in tagging along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'll try and make if if humberklog gives me good news when I meet him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fanuel

Hi there,

I've just read this idea...

Fantastic deed!!!! :)
    I do mostly analog....from 35 to Large format.
    Can I please join you guys?
    I'll have 1 35mm RF, 1 6x6 and 1 Holga.
    I'd be happy to land somebody a Canon Eos 1n, but I have to be sure that somebody will be carrying the monster all day, is rather heavy if added to the rest.

• Advertisement

fanuel wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've just read this idea...

Fantastic deed!!!! :)
    I do mostly analog....from 35 to Large format.
    Can I please join you guys?
    I'll have 1 35mm RF, 1 6x6 and 1 Holga.
    I'd be happy to land somebody a Canon Eos 1n, but I have to be sure that somebody will be carrying the monster all day, is rather heavy if added to the rest.

All welcome (lurkers and all!) so long as you aren't a crazed axe murderer looking for a next victim or something like that ;) Infact a good opportunity to come out of the shadows and join in. We might even make a regular poster out of you yet :cool:

Voting above continues until about 2:50pm IIRC. At that time we will know where we're going to spend our time and can start firming up a bit as to what to be doing with ourselves. Very democratic indeed eh / secret ballot and all that.

Great! :)
    I'm any of the above, but I really enjoy watching Criminal Minds and CSI....and sometimes I found myself supporting the Killer....does that count? :D:cool::P

any way...any of you, let me know if you'd like me to bring the Canon 1n along....bare in mind that you want it, you carry it ;)

see ya'll saturday

thanks

Yay! I swapped days off so now I can come! I'll bring several cameras so anyone is welcome to use them. Waiting on an Olympus trip to arrive from ebay too so I'll hopefully bring that too. Lookin forward to it :) See ya saturday!:D

If I can finish a roll of high ISO colour film tonight I'll be bringing 3 cameras :)

Ok so, in the great spirit of internet democracy - it would appear to be a "walk on the wild side" (the Temple Bar street exploration option) that the forum has settled on. With a potential crew of 20 - it makes a lot of photographers and a lot of film potentially being shot on the day.

Right, a bit of research now and i'll revert later with a draft outline for people, suggested timings, etc. It will be a little bit of free flow for the afternoon but if anyone has particular must see/must shoot places in the general vicinity then pop up a post on it. All suggestions welcome.

I know the temple bar markets (of which I think there are three different ones) might make interesting shooting places. Anything else grab ye?

shall we agree on a time and place first?

I think being parochial here (as i mentioned in an earlier post), my personal plan is to abandon my young un probably at about 12:30/12:45 in town which is about 15/20 minutes from Temple Bar area. Then I want to find something to munch(!) at which point I expect to go wandering / walking at about 1:30 -> 1:45 - So perhaps a 2pm meet for people?

That would give about 2 hours of wandering / shooting /cupa break for people and for anyone who wanted to visit the National Photographic Archive to see the "If ever you go to Dublin town" exhibition as explained in post #24 could end up there at about 4pm or continue on wandering/exploring/shooting if rain and cold hasn't bitten too hard.

Something tells me that a visit to a fine drinking establishment may be on for some of the attendees who are local/or public transport peeps :D For me I need to be back to pick up the young un at shortly after five so that knocks that idea on the head.

If 2pm isn't a great start time / appeal to people, then let me know - i'm only facilitating. If the broad consensus doesn't agree with my personal availability, then the broad consensus will win out and basically feic me :D

2pm on Saturday sounds very good to me.

2pm is good for me too

2pm sounds good :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement