Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Meetup. >> THE AFTERMATH <<

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Sold! 2pm is good. Where abouts exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

away for the weekend ... :( -- ah well next one ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Gonna try to see if I can get someone to mind my little one. If so, I'm there at 2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

99.7% IN, should be there and will bring several extra rolls of the "free film".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

sineadw wrote: »
    Gonna try to see if I can get someone to mind my little one. If so, I'm there at 2 :)

I'll bring your Rangefinder if you are. Save me a trip out somewhere.

I'm popping my daughter in a drawer for the day. Drawers are handy.

Thinking of bringing Brownie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I think being parochial here (as i mentioned in an earlier post), my personal plan is to abandon my young un probably at about 12:30/12:45 in town which is about 15/20 minutes from Temple Bar area. <snip> all the fun stuff </snip>
    *sigh* If only I could do the same thing. At 20 months, he can just about find his way home from the swan centre in rathmines, let alone the city centre :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'm going to try and taga long to this also if ye don't mind. I don't have a film camera yet but I hope to buy some cheapo thing tomorrow if possible. Can I also take a roll of the free film? Hopefully I'll have a camera to put it in!!

Whereabouts in Temple Bar are ye going to meet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ok, the following is resulting from my desktop research, googling, etc... hence i'm expecting a little err in some of the logic. Also, being a country lad I won't be acting as guide so print a google map of the area, bring a satnav (on your phone is cool), or follow someone who does know the place.

I'm expecting there to be lots of people here that are way more familiar with the area and what to shoot/where to visit in the area so please pipe up and make this as interesting an exploration as possible.

Also, the afternoon is easy in format folks and meant for people to enjoy a decent walk with decent photography opportunities on the streets - if someone wants to do something else, shoot something else, or head into a particular spot, and join up with the group(s) later then that's fine. No one will be on a leash so don't feel inhibited if the Itinerary doesn't quite grab ya. I won't be offended ;)

First point -

National Photographic Archive, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar. Current Exhibition: "If ever you go to Dublin town", Saturday: 10am - 2pm

If interested in visiting this exhibition as flagged previously then you must visit before the walk about which is scheduled to begin at 2pm.

It Starts -

2pm - Assemble/Meet up at Meeting House Square, Temple Bar outside the National Photographic Archive (note: there is also the "gallery of photography" in Meeting House Square so lets make sure were all at the right place - local knowledge here to clarify would be useful people)

http://www.nli.ie/en/intro/how-to-find-us.aspx

Depending on numbers it may be useful to break into smaller groups. If the 20 who replied to the poll get around to turning up, then it would be a bloody big group to be walking around and experience from other photo walks are such that large groups may create a control issue.

2.10pm - 2.50pm Visiting the markets(Saturday Opening);

Temple bar food market, (10am - 4:30pm), Meeting House Square.
    Temple bar book market, (11am - 6:00pm), Temple Bar Square.
    Designer Mart at Cow's Lane, (10am - 5:00pm), The outdoor Mart is located off Lord Edward Street.

I understand the markets are open but may be subject to weather.

2.50pm - Return to Smock Alley Café for buy your own refreshments.

This place does a mean latte and chocolate brownies for about €5 if i recall correctly. The other interesting thing about here is that it has a small amount of exhibition space (basically around the café walls). This is the place pete<add numbers> exhibited some images before. I've gleaned from the Temple Bar cultural trust web site that this space is available free of charge http://www.templebar.ie/home_nav_33_c_2_e_9.html so i'm thinking some of you people may want to enquire about the possibility of hosting a personal exhibition. Yeah, that would be so cool. According to the trust's web site a guy called Cormac Kenny is the owner and is the one to talk to about it.

Location: 3/4 Smock Alley Court, West Essex Street, Old City Temple Bar, Dublin 8

3.10pm - hit the streets.

If you head down to towards the liffey you'll have the quay's to shoot and down as far as the ha'penny bridge.
    Return back towards Dame Street and wander down a little towards Trinity College - view towards college green, central bank, and across to entrance of Trinity College
    Walking back up Dame Street (away from Trinity College), as far as Dublin Castle - Shooting opportunities Castle Entrance Gates, Courtyard, and Building Exteriors.
    Continue up Dame Street as far as Christchurch Cathedral
    Returning towards Temple Bar via Fishamble Street, Essex Street West and East

4.30pm - disperse
    hit the pub, run for the bus, collect the young un, or whatever it is that you'll be compelled to do.

A Suggested visit - time permitting or a good place to go (possibly) should the weather be atrocious;

Gallery of Photography, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar.

Exhibition :: Simon Burch | Under a Grey Sky
    The Gallery of Photography is proud to present the premiere showing of Under a Grey Sky, a magnificent new body of work by the Irish photographer, Simon Burch. Made over four years, the work explores the rain-soaked peatlands of Ireland’s central plain, the most intensively industrialised landscape in the country.

http://galleryofphotography.ie/exhibitions/burch.html

Right, that's the idea at the moment. I could really do with some input here folks if you are familiar with the area. This is likely to change based on feedback from people so make sure to check back before Saturday.

Thanks.

Ballyman wrote: »
    I'm going to try and taga long to this also if ye don't mind. I don't have a film camera yet but I hope to buy some cheapo thing tomorrow if possible. Can I also take a roll of the free film? Hopefully I'll have a camera to put it in!!

If you don't get sorted, there are lots of offers of loans for the afternoon - check the previous posts on the thread.
    Whereabouts in Temple Bar are ye going to meet??

See post above.

• Advertisement

You will be familiar with katiemaloe at this stage from participation on the forum. She's going to be on the exploration / film meet up on Saturday. As it turns out, she also works in the camera centre in Blanchardstown and previously had let people know of an offer on film development.

Should anyone be interested - no one is compelled or obliged in any shape or form - she is happy to organise the film develop, print and cd for €5 taking the film canisters at the end of the evening and people can collect if in blancharstown, or she'll organise to post if not. Being the suspicious git that I am ;) I did check the over the counter price on this and it works out as €6.99 for develop and print and €2.99 extra for the cd. So we're receiving about a 50% discount here on over the counter prices which is why i'm happy to report it to the forum.

It's of no consequence to her if she doesn't take any additional film back to be developed so it is a genuine offer. She's attending the meet up in a personal capacity.

Some of you may have better offers available elsewhere (for example if near Artane then there is a good offer on 5 rolls develop and cd). Some of you may develop yourselves. So this then obviously isn't for you. But if you are like me and paying the normal €9 - €10 per roll then you may want to talk business with her on the day. Regular posters (non commercial) feel free to post up other offers that you may be aware of (again, just check they are genuine).

Thanks Kate.

As its jumped pages, Draft Itinerary has been posted on post #59.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks.

Yeah, that sounds good to me. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Sounds good! I'm really looking forward to it! See ye on Saturday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fanuel

Katie,

do you guys dev also Slide film?

thanks

fanuel wrote: »
    Katie,

do you guys dev also Slide film?

thanks

Not at work but it can be sent out for you. If you get it developed I can do prints from it. Photo care on Abbey Street develop slide. I think they are the only place doing it. :)

• Advertisement

I'll have a scrabble about for what I have left of my stock of slide film. It's process paid too so whoever wants some of that then they can have it too. They'll dev it in Abbey street for free when you give them the envelope reciept with it. I think it's Superia iso100. I'm tired of using it and got a big box for next to nothing, be happy to see it being used. That's if I can find any rolls left around the place.

humberklog wrote: »
    I'll have a scrabble about for what I have left of my stock of slide film. It's process paid too so whoever wants some of that then they can have it too. They'll dev it in Abbey street for free when you give them the envelope reciept with it. I think it's Superia iso100. I'm tired of using it and got a big box for next to nothing, be happy to see it being used. That's if I can find any rolls left around the place.

Can't be superia, thats a print film. I'd happily take a bunch of those envelopes off your hands if you're getting tired of using slide ;)

Can't be superia, thats a print film. I'd happily take a bunch of those envelopes off your hands if you're getting tired of using slide ;)

See!! I hardly noticed you up here in the gods:pac:.

I'll rumage about and see what I have left. I know someone went through the place throwing unimportant stuff to them in the bin so I'll see what I have left lying about. Are you coming along on Saturday?

Whatever the stuff is you can have it anyway, even if you did just expose my ignorance. My wonderful ignorance!!! I'm wounded. Jayzuz I'll start reading what I'm throwing in the camera now...nah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I managed to get myself a cheapo film camera! I must get myself a few rolls of B&W film now. Can anyone recommend any to me?

Also, would someone mind PM'ing me their number so I can contact them on saturday if I manage to not find ye!

Ballyman wrote: »
    I managed to get myself a cheapo film camera! I must get myself a few rolls of B&W film now. Can anyone recommend any to me?

Also, would someone mind PM'ing me their number so I can contact them on saturday if I manage to not find ye!

Hey Ballyman, neopan 400 is a lovely general purpose BW film. There is a c41 version too, if you want to be able to get it processed quickly :) I'll PM ya my number cos I'm going on Saturday too.

• Advertisement

Right. I have no babysitter as yet, so I might just tag along in a parent-with-camera-and-moaning-child capacity for half an hour or so. That'll be the height of it for me I think though, and TBH I'd rather that were somewhere seated (not least because I can keep him a lot happier with 7up and a packet of crisps). I do have some cameras if anyone needs them though. Although by the look of things so far there'll be more cameras than people :D

I'm also thinking I could maybe stretch it if I sell it to him that he'll be a photographer for the day? HK - mine is seven. Do you think if we got them disposables that'd help? He got a teensy disney digital for his birthday which he hasn't had a chance/excuse to use much. But as this is analogue only then a trip to one hour could be in order? The excitement of prints could be fun for them!

I have three rolls of panF 50 120 and the Flexaret itching in my camera box, so it'd better be bright!

Oh but it doesn't look like the weather is going to play ball as things currently stand. I wonder will this impact on numbers attending (i wouldn't blame people if it did). Time to buy the wellies and maybe a canoe might be useful :eek:

If the weather remains as bad as it is and if it is anything like what the weather forecast is saying then i'm not sure whether the markets will run or not. Again, I don't specifically know what conditions they will run in but the info does say some of the markets are weather dependent.

The options of the second exhibition in the Gallery of Photography will be there to wander over to (as included in post #59)

Opinion on weather situation????? Are people still happy campers.

Actually, could people pop up a note to say if they are intending to come or not just to ascertain likely numbers. We had about 20 express interest through the poll but I know only of 4/5 (I think) as of now who are likely to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Feck sake a bit of rain never hurt anyone ! On a side note anyone heading down from Drogheda area ? Would rather go in a car and give the 10€bus fare to someone :):)

if the weather isn't great...the photographs will be ;)
    who says that the photographer stays home when it's raining?
    come on folks!...let's swim all together :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

The weather will be just fine. End of story.
    I'll be there.

I'll be there. Just hope Slidinginfinity is there too with some free film. I gave all mine away some time ago to another Boardsie - didn't think I'd need it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I'll be there, regardless of the weather, just maybe with less cameras :)

I would love to try a camera (preferably with a meter) other than my Nikon N65.

I'll be there with the free film for whoever wants it, rain or shine.:)

humberklog wrote: »
    I'll rumage about and see what I have left. I know someone went through the place throwing unimportant stuff to them in the bin so I'll see what I have left lying about. Are you coming along on Saturday?

Eh, no :( Barely a spare moment to myself nowadays. There's always a ton of not-fun stuff that I have to do as opposed to whatever it is that I want to do :D I'm told it gets better in time (presumably once you can ship them off to boarding school ...)
    Whatever the stuff is you can have it anyway, even if you did just expose my ignorance. My wonderful ignorance!!! I'm wounded. Jayzuz I'll start reading what I'm throwing in the camera now...nah.
    I don't know why I even do it ! I think its that XKCD syndrome that sinead has referenced before ...

I would love to try a camera (preferably with a meter) other than my Nikon N65.

I'll be there with the free film for whoever wants it, rain or shine.:)

Hey Sliding, Ill be bringing a few cameras so feel free to use any of them. Could I possibly get some more film from ya? Im flying through mine, and shared it with some mates too :)

• Advertisement

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Hey Sliding, Ill be bringing a few cameras so feel free to use any of them. Could I possibly get some more film from ya? Im flying through mine, and shared it with some mates too :)

Absolutely! I think I will just fill up a spare lightweight backpack with rolls and let people take what they want.:D
    I'll never burn though the volume I still have.

Plus, I have a roll from Prague and Berlin I have been meaning to get out to you.;)

EDIT: I just packed up 126 rolls in the pack I can not imagine I would need to bring more and leaves me more than enough.

Thanks a million. Ill collect the prague and berlin rolls on Saturday if ya like. :)

I'll never burn though the volume I still have.

I can help with that :D

Just watched the waether on RTE and it's giving fantastic weather on Saturday - if you're a duck or a fish!
    So bring your wet gear!

just programme the call out number for the RNLI into your phone before you leave :D

(see if that :D will turn to :( by the end of the day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I might find few minutes to come after 3PM after my gallery duty in DCC.

Well, I'll try to bring handful of exposed films for development :-D If there is anybody reliable who wants to PM me their phone number so I could try to locate you (many of you know my knowledge of Dublin streets), feel free to do so. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yay the missus is working Saturday so that means I'm afree to go along. Now the problem part. The Fed 5 is my first film camera and we're not getting along so well just now. I tried loading a film tonight and while the spooly thingy was pulling it along the exposure counter wasn't moving.

Point being, would anyone be patient enough to show me how to load the film properly............. and possibly unload on the day.

ThOnda wrote: »
    I might find few minutes to come after 3PM after my gallery duty in DCC.

Well, I'll try to bring handful of exposed films for development :-D If there is anybody reliable who wants to PM me their phone number so I could try to locate you (many of you know my knowledge of Dublin streets), feel free to do so. Thanks.

Hey Thonda- Ill send ya my number cos Im definately going on saturday. Even if its pissing rain and I have to wear my wellies! :)

Yay the missus is working Saturday so that means I'm afree to go along. Now the problem part. The Fed 5 is my first film camera and we're not getting along so well just now. I tried loading a film tonight and while the spooly thingy was pulling it along the exposure counter wasn't moving.

Point being, would anyone be patient enough to show me how to load the film properly............. and possibly unload on the day.

If the Fed doesn't work out for you, there are plenty of spares knocking around which people are offering to loan for the afternoon. So defo, come along.

• Advertisement

Even if its p
    g rain and I have to wear my wellies! :)

Them wellies are very photogenic. You could be very popular that afternoon :rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Sorry for only getting to post now, I've just been swamped at work for the last few days.

I'm not gonna be able to make this film meet. My father in law is calling over to give me a hand with replacing gable end timbers on my house at the weekend. So I hope the ducks and geese don't decide to go on holidays in Trim.

I hope yiz a have a great day.

Hey Thonda- Ill send ya my number cos Im definately going on saturday. Even if its pissing rain and I have to wear my wellies! :)

And me please!:) Not sure what time I'll be in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Hey Thonda- ....and I have to wear my wellies! :)

It looks that I may come in the end! :D

ThOnda wrote: »
    It looks that I may come in the end! :D

ha ha! These wellies are becoming very popular! ;)

ha ha! These wellies are becoming very popular! ;)

I dont know if I like where all this welly talk is going !!!!:o:o

• Advertisement

Well you could be in the era of the Thunderbirds (mid 60's) with all this film stuff which is why Thunderbirds is my segway back in on the thread ;) Lets just say Lady Penelope, well, she's a doll :D

Anyhow;

2pm, Rain, Hail, or Shine (not bloody likely), Assemble/Meet up at Meeting House Square, Temple Bar outside the National Photographic Archive (note: there is also the "gallery of photography" in Meeting House Square so lets make sure were all at the right place).

Useful posts -

It's an easy format to the afternoon - but post #59 has the gist of an itinerary if we're stuck.

Offer on development @ €5 a role in post #61.

Other than that, be there to be square (smoking jackets optional :cool:)

I'll be there, but can't find my bells.
    Bringing the free film for those who want it.
    Would love to try one of your cameras, Kate.
    Will be sending any completed rolls off with ya too.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'll be there, but can't find my bells.
    Bringing the free film for those who want it.
    Would love to try one of your cameras, Kate.
    Will be sending any completed rolls off with ya too.:D

I wouldn't say no to a roll or two (max). First time with a film camera so I plan on taking it easy.

I *might* be in. Lots on tomorrow, but I'll be needing a break. Little fella is running a bit of a temperature too :( So I'll be keeping him out of any rain, wellies or no, if he's up to it in the first place.

Edit: Just looking at the weather here (sure what else would I be doing at half three in the morning - lovely insomnia..) and it looks like we might escape it? Did I say that out loud? :eek:

sineadw wrote: »
    I *might* be in. Lots on tomorrow, but I'll be needing a break. Little fella is running a bit of a temperature too :( So I'll be keeping him out of any rain, wellies or no, if he's up to it in the first place.

Edit: Just looking at the weather here (sure what else would I be doing at half three in the morning - lovely insomnia..) and it looks like we might escape it? Did I say that out loud? :eek:

Ohh great ya jinxed us now!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement