Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Meetup. >> THE AFTERMATH <<

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

blue skies / white fluffy clouds here. think its due to start raining at about 1:45

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

No. Earliest time I allow the rain to start again is 6pm!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Hey AnCatDubh, had a really fun day. fair play to ya for organising it. It was cool to meet everyone :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Was a good day despite the weather.

Looking forward to seeing if that Pentax Camera works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I arrived in around 2pm and met nobody :( so I presumed this didn't go ahead?

I forgot your number Katie so I couldn't ring to see if people actually turned up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Good day out nice meeting all of you.
    I second Katie's thanks to AnCatDubh for the organizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Well I should have asked for someones mobile no. cause I was a wee bit late, and by the time I found the cafe which was closed ?? I Couldnt find anyone. I was looking out for the welly's + people with old-ish cameras but didnt see sight nor sound of ye !! Next time I guess.

oh dear, sorry guys. we hung around goo-ing and gaa-ing at the older gear until about 2:40 outside the photographic archive. only found out smok alley café closed until Tuesday at 1:45 so we had to change plan on the fly. That's a bummer when you had gone to the bother, so sorry we didn't bump into each other along the way.

Apologies again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Had a good time and was shocked that yer all normal people and not nerds from the net! :P

Thanks to all for organizing the meet and I hope to see you at the next one.

I was hanging around outside the gallery place (entrance to ifi) in Meeting House Square where the food market was so it looks like i was in the wrong place!!

• Advertisement

Ballyman wrote: »
    I was hanging around outside the gallery place (entrance to ifi) in Meeting House Square where the food market was so it looks like i was in the wrong place!!

I was there too, well walking around the area, red jacket black back pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It was nice to see some new faces. And some also known, but almost forgotten. And the chips in The Purty Kitchen were fantastic.
    It was nice to see full table of cameras with no memory card in them :-)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Had a good time and was shocked that yer all normal people and not nerds from the net! :P

Thanks to all for organizing the meet and I hope to see you at the next one.

What do you mean we're no nerds! We ceratinly did our best to look like nerds with old cameras hanging from everywhere :)

Brilliant day and can't wait to see the shots from the Contax - what a beauty!

Ballyman wrote: »

Argh. Yes. You were and the wrong end of the Square. The National Photographic Archive is on the Essex Street / Fleet Street side. Ah well. We learn from it for the next meeting. Hope both of you made the best out of the day anyway.

I have to say I enjoyed it as well, even though I didn't take many pictures. But looking forward to the results. Hope to see you all again soon.

Oh, and AnCathDubh: Next time try to avoid those jokes about rain at 1.45, ok?;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

xia wrote: »
    Oh, and AnCathDubh: Next time try to avoid those jokes about rain at 1.45, ok?;)

Jokes????

The man is Psychic I tell you!! :eek:

(or is that Psychotic? I get them confused!) :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Looks like fun was had by all ... maybe next time I'll be able to make it. But to a more pressing matter ( and I never thought I'd have to say this on the photography forum ) Pics or GTFO :-). I want those negatives dev'd, scanned, and uploaded by tomorrow damnit ! People shooting transparency have a little more leeway, maybe until, ummm, thursday :-)

I want those negatives dev'd, scanned, and uploaded by tomorrow damnit !

Well, thanks to Katie the development and scanning is probably ready today - that if people managed to fill a roll. Now it depends on when we manage to get out to Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Brilliant day and can't wait to see the shots from the Contax - what a beauty!

Glad you enjoyed the camera :)

Was a fun day, somehow we spent more time in the pub than taking pictures :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing my photos from the day but I've still to finish the roll from yesterday so it'll be a while

I too still need to finish off the roll from yesterday. so could be a little bit for me too.

I would like to have another film meet-up mid-January.

• Advertisement

Just back at a keyboard since yesterday so a couple of observations;

a) I should take up a career in weather forecasting - that mightn't please many of you :rolleyes:
    b) Even with some advance planning, not all will go according to plan
    c) Kate's wellies are something to behold but not nearly as cool as that half format yashica with its "sports" grip which she had :o
    d) Actually, now that I think of it, Kate had the coolest collection of the day.
    e) assuming that you'll identify people that you've never met by the fact that they'll have cameras around their neck when the meeting point is wedged between the national photographic archive and the gallery of photography, is a bad assumption to make :o

Some more serious observations;

1) It's good to meet - i think it is part of gel'ing the online community. Everyone appears to have enjoyed it. A nice easy format to the afternoon with a bit of social discussion appeared to have worked well.
    2) Even with a bit of advance planning, checking and double checking the detail in future is real important.
    3) A designated mobile number of someone who will be there will be useful.
    4) Everyone who attended are really nice people (not that I thought otherwise from their online persona :))
    5) Depending on weather doesn't really matter (ok, it helps!). Photographers for the main are weather resistant or at least enthusiastic enough that weather doesn't really matter too much.
    6) Haphazard meet ups like this one are fine and can work out well but perhaps there is an opportunity to schedule something regular enough for forum members to meet up if they wished (perhaps every 2 months) - thoughts?????

All in all, it was great to have made you guys' acquaintance and I look forward to bumping into you all again sometime (hopefully soon).

Hmnnnnn...... Picts or it didn't happen eh?

Well it was a film day but mobile phones just happened to be there when we sat around the table at the purty kitchen (was that where we ended up?) when these went on display;

94086.jpg
    HTC TyTn II 3.2Mpix, Handheld, Indoor, No Flash, Low Light, Holy Jamolies - Something came out.

Alex, Katriona (I think?), and Kate in picture (spelling on these???)

Thanks to everyone for dropping along and apologies to those who dropped along but didn't manage to link up. Definitely next time guys.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    a) I should take up a career in weather forecasting - that mightn't please many of you :rolleyes:

6) Haphazard meet ups like this one are fine and can work out well but perhaps there is an opportunity to schedule something regular enough for forum members to meet up if they wished (perhaps every 2 months) - thoughts?????

a) Well as long as you change to predicting sunshine I'm fine with your choice of career.;)

6) Sounds good to me. And like Slidinginfinity already suggested maybe (mid) January next time? December is probably a busy time for everyone with pre christmas drinks, christmas shopping...

Oh and yes it was the Purity Kitchen.

a) Well as long as you change to predicting sunshine I'm fine with your choice of career.;)

6) Sounds good to me. And like Slidinginfinity already suggested maybe (mid) January next time? December is probably a busy time for everyone with pre christmas drinks, christmas shopping...

Oh and yes it was the Purity Kitchen.

Plus I'll be busy most of November and off to the States for a good part of December and the first part of January, and bring back my 80's Minolta and maybe a 50's era Leica.:D

top down view of just a few of the cameras at the meet:
    CBF33BFE914642AFADFA628A2221B196-800.jpg

Bad shot, but just wasn't worried about it.
    And yes I know it was off a digital, but it only came out for the shot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Janey there was some weird and wonderful looking cameras. Katie has some frankly nutty stuff, amazing to see. Good to meet up with people old and new alike.

Slidinginfinity isn't scarey at all...which is nice.:pac:

Provided by Nokia, here is a picture from yesterday. It was nice to see you all. Unfortunately I forgot to ask who is who :D

28BD524DE606409FB963B1ED37B8B208-800.jpg

Yeah the collection of cameras were very cool! I have printed all the rolls and there are some funky photos! Ill post some of mine this evening :)
    All the rolls are ready to collect whenever suits ye. PM me if ya can't get to Blanch and we can sort something out.

Cabansail, Im afraid your roll was blank :( I think you're camera might be sick.

• Advertisement

... and bring back my 80's Minolta and maybe a 50's era Leica.:D

Is that what they call blackmail??:eek:;)

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Yeah the collection of cameras were very cool! I have printed all the rolls and there are some funky photos! Ill post some of mine this evening :)
    All the rolls are ready to collect whenever suits ye. PM me if ya can't get to Blanch and we can sort something out.

I am gonna try an make it out there monday is the shop open?
    Is that what they call blackmail??:eek:;)

Maybe a bit.:p:D

Yeah Sliding- the shop is open tomorrow, 11.30 to 5.30 cos its a bank holiday :)

Cabansail, Im afraid your roll was blank :( I think you're camera might be sick.

I sort of had a suspicion that it was not working. Just did not feel right. Think the problem may have been that the film was not taking up on the receiver spool.

Ohh well ..... I did take more care with the Canon which had some B&W Film in it. Thanks for the time anyway Katie ... much appreciated.

Try loading a film in it again, with the door open so you can see if it has caught on. You'll lose a few shots but at least you will be able to see whats happening. You paid me for the dev so you're in credit for the next roll if ya like!

• Advertisement

I'll pick up my films today. At least I will try to get there. I can only hope that M&S will be already open ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fanuel

guys,
    went there and didn't find you. can't wait to see the products of your endeavors.
    I see you got some old ladies on the table....nice :D
    For what concerns me....the meeting once a month could be a great thing.

Cheerio

Chorcai wrote: »
    I was there too, well walking around the area, red jacket black back pack

You, on the right, by any chance?

CBF79A5BDDB74562A5A62AC6E703B84A-800.jpg

Another one from Saturday.
    I was talking to this chap on the bridge before taking this shot. He was sitting with his back to the rain (remember the flippin rain?) and his jacket was soaked through. He reckoned he'd do another hour before heading off. I checked back about 20 minutes later and he was gone. Must have had enough.

14648D20221C46FB83464AC5108F663B-800.jpg

Yay the Fed worked. I'll have some photos later on tonight. Thanks Kate for the superfast development and the price.

My first time with a film camera and one I wasn't even sure was working, so be gentle:

4050945586_fbec19df19.jpg

4050989574_9e2244902c.jpg

4050245497_9c006969e2.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ooooh yeah KH. I think you may well have yourself a super sexy machine there. Gorgeous quality off them.

You, on the right, by any chance?

Nope :) So is there a chance of a once a month meeting ? 3rd Saturday of every month ?

Nope :) So is there a chance of a once a month meeting ? 3rd Saturday of every month ?

I'd be on for that alright.

Just so ye know as well, I was in Unicare in Leopardstown today and they have lashings of the free film left as well, as in hundreds of boxes.

humberklog wrote: »
    Ooooh yeah KH. I think you may well have yourself a super sexy machine there. Gorgeous quality off them.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Amazing quality for free film.

And Kintaro, I just had a giggle to myself when I read your paragraph on flicker under the cobble shot. Those cobbles were only laid relatively recently, they weren't there all the time. The corpo (read me & you) spent a fortune digging them up from elsewhere and an even bigger fortune relaying them in Temple Bar.

Of course, I'm showing my age now :P

• Advertisement

I'd be in for a once a month/every other month film meet. Especially if we can get Katie to join in, it was so nice just to be able to hand her a envelope with a roll and not have to go to a shop. Plus I know she will traet the film right:D

Wow. I took exactly ten pictures with ThOnda's Lomo. And by the looks of if i had some issues with focussing. But nonetheless an enjoyable day out.

Here are three examples:

4051935777_1f257c5041.jpg

4052676994_8db645aaf4.jpg

4051932735_66e06452bb.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking. Amazing quality for free film.

And Kintaro, I just had a giggle to myself when I read your paragraph on flicker under the cobble shot. Those cobbles were only laid relatively recently, they weren't there all the time. The corpo (read me & you) spent a fortune digging them up from elsewhere and an even bigger fortune relaying them in Temple Bar.

Of course, I'm showing my age now :P

Ah you see being a sprightly whippersnapper I thought they were always there. Thanks for the info though, I'll ammend my flickr page later.

I took exactly ten pictures with ThOnda's Lomo. And by the looks of if i had some issues with focussing.

Aren't focussing issues a beauty of lomo photography??? :p

I learned something today in the aftermath of all of this mularky. Kate's €5 boards special is rather good. €12 today for a 24 roll develop, print and cd in another fine establishment. Wan't near Blanch so had to make do.

Anyhow, a roll developed but there were only about 4 from temple bar on it :rolleyes: Still have a half finished roll to finish shooting, and had an epic fail on one more (which was going to be my 'interesting' roll of the day - neopan 400, I was soooooo looking forward to it). Epic fail I won't even describe. Too painful to recount :o

With that roll not counting my shooting of the day has been halved (/gutted). How and ever, you live and learn and that's what the meet up was about too.

Still looking forward to what may be on the second remaining roll. Here's one from me which I liked.

65C7731B70F6492C8E779B754FA3A63F-500.jpg

fuji superia xtra 400.

The Pentax z-70 worked just fine - it was the first roll I put through it.

hey AnCatDubh, Is your black and white roll totally gone? No way of salvaging it at all? :(

hey AnCatDubh, Is your black and white roll totally gone? No way of salvaging it at all? :(

sniff, sniff, gone.... gone.... imithe ar fad..... boo :pac:

Aren't focussing issues a beauty of lomo photography??? :p

That's what I was kind of hoping. But as I never used one before I couldn't be sure and decided it might have been me who couldn't use it properly:o

Ah ta bron orm a storin! Beig tu abalta griangrafanna nua a thoigaint amarach, agus beig siad nios deise ar fad! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sniff, sniff, gone.... gone.... imithe ar fad..... boo :pac:

C'mon now, this is a teaching forum, what did you do ? Was it the fix before the developer ? Did someone turn on the lights in the bathroom as you were loading your film into the tank, causing you to scream like a little girl ? did you load the backing paper onto the reel instead of the film if it was 120 ? Did you leave the centre spindle out ? I've done all of these things at one point or another :D

• Advertisement

Heck no, if I were advanced enough to bork a roll of film in any of those wonderful ways I'd be really scared :D

Well you could just say the poor ole film never really got out of the starting chomps canister.

/takes hat with major 'd' on it and retires to the corner for a nice snooze :rolleyes:

Advertisement