Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Meetup. >> THE AFTERMATH <<

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think that may have been the fate of my roll of colour film on the day too.

I do have the Neopan 400 & 1600 to develop. Must borrow a tank & process them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Should we be worried that our two photography mods can't load film in a camera :D

Hope they don't ban me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Well you could just say the poor ole film never really got out of the starting chomps canister.

Ah right. I've done that aswell :D
    Its sort of second nature to check my rewind lever nowadays when advancing film, if the film is engaged and advancing that rotates. At least on my manual bodies ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Should we be worried that our two photography mods can't load film in a camera :D

Ok, not only am I now sitting in the corner sporting my new 'd' hat as a fashion statement, but now I'm flagellating with a thorny briar bush.

Any more punishment I should bestow upon myself.....hah?????? like sell the 'Me Super' on ebay (oh now that would be embarrassing) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

XIA - well, the Lomo has manual focus - that confuses people on regular basis :D Especially me, I don't have single sharp picture from that. But that is only another reason why I like those pictures.
    And thanks again for processing of the films, it is such treat. Not only the price, but even the collection from the Temple bar. Thad saved me a lot of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

ThOnda wrote: »
    XIA - well, the Lomo has manual focus - that confuses people on regular basis :D Especially me, I don't have single sharp picture from that. But that is only another reason why I like those pictures.
    And thanks again for processing of the films, it is such treat. Not only the price, but even the collection from the Temple bar. Thad saved me a lot of hassle.

Aha. Need to have another look at that camera. Where would I have manually focussed? I only saw those 1.5, 3, 5 meter or whatever distances there were. Thought I used them. Anyway. I do like the results nonetheless.

Right, maybe i'm not meant to shoot my really interesting (to me anyhow) Neopan 400 in Temple Bar. Was off work so headed in there today with the Me, this time properly loaded into the sprokets (honestly, it were aliens that did it last time ;)).

So, the afternoon started with a two hour journey to get me in there which should have taken 1 hour. By the time I arrived light was getting really low so I was shooting at low shutter speeds but undeterred I thought well maybe i'll get some creative stuff if i just think about how a little blur might turn out. It then rained a little. Still I was undeterred. It was actually beginning to get quite dark and the various lights were catching my interest so I tried to find things for me to stabilise the Me on - a bench, a bin, the ground, a step. I was not going to be deterred I tell ya.

Then something peculiar happened. The Me's meter had been flashing a little since the film outing on Saturday. That's odd I thought but kept on going. Then it began to behave a little erratically telling me things like I could get 1/1000 shutter speed when the place was in near darkness. Wow! I thought - this film is good stuff. (I didn't really think I could get 1/1000 in darkness folks). But then as the poor little thing's viewfinder lights began to fade in what was like HAL dying in 2001: A Space Odyssey (without the singing of daisy :rolleyes:), a horrible realisation came over me. Batteries...... feic, feic, feic, feic, feic....... It was dead.

Now the Me is a very clever little machine. When batteries die just say "who needs batteries". Set it to a manual 125x and ensure you are happy with your aperture / iso combination. In the bloody darkness that was about, I surrendered. I became deterred.

How and ever, I did get to visit the two exhibitions - one in the National Photographic Archive (If you go down to Dublin) and the other across the square in the Gallery of Photography (Under a Grey Sky).

While at the National Photographic Archive I picked up a publication of the National Library of Ireland "Ex Camera 1860 - 1960" - going for €5. If you are passing by and have an interest in Vintage Irish Photographs then it would be worthwhile popping in. they had a few copies there.

Anyone up for another trip to Temple Bar :D (bah, maybe I should just give up).

At least you didn't loose your sense of humour. Or found it again on your travel back home...
    Don't they say all good things come in threes? So you probably should give that combination ME and Temple Bar another chance.
    Would love to join just won't be around the next two weekends.

Now that you mention it, the drive home was 2.5 hours (should have only taken 1 hour and a bit extra for rush hour traffic). 1 hour of that was spent getting out of the Jervis Street car park (I kid you not) - the parking machine on the way out wanted to charge me an extra €2.80 as I exited.

What a day.

And you had rain....But you got that publication for 5€. And were experimenting...And were off work;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Anyone up for another trip to Temple Bar :D (bah, maybe I should just give up).

No, don't give up! I've been browsing Ebay and looking at film slr cameras and they are VERY cheap. Seriously thinking of acquiring one or two and where better to try them out......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Anyone up for another trip to Temple Bar :D

Every Mon + Wen I'm floating around from 430-6pm. That goes for anyone would be nice to get meet some heads off here and get some tips n tricks* !

*Will supply coffee/tea-if your really good a bun :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

No, don't give up! I've been browsing Ebay and looking at film slr cameras and they are VERY cheap. Seriously thinking of acquiring one or two and where better to try them out......

Speaking of film SLRs, thought you might like the look of this. I would be bidding if there wasn't moratorium on unnecessary spending at my house.:D

Wow! Isn't it a beauty!!!!

As much as I'd love to, I've just gone and done a very bold thing.;)
    Just bought a Canon 40d with 28-135 IS USM lens plus a heap of other bits and pieces on Ebay. Hope I can afford the divorce lawyer now :D

Now trying desperately to sell my cameras to help pay for it :eek:
    (see my sig for details)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Hey pullandbang. That 28-135 IS lens is savage. I have one, though I use it on a film body so it works out wider. Lovely lens to use, nice and sharp and solid. the image stabiliser is fab, especially cos I hate using flash. Well done you! I bought 2 funky old school cameras on ebay this week too. Film ones of course! Waiting for them to arrive.

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Hey pullandbang. That 28-135 IS lens is savage. I have one, though I use it on a film body so it works out wider. Lovely lens to use, nice and sharp and solid. the image stabiliser is fab, especially cos I hate using flash. Well done you! I bought 2 funky old school cameras on ebay this week too. Film ones of course! Waiting for them to arrive.

Yeah, I read the reviews before I bought and it seems top notch. Didn't know I could use it on film though. Must keep a beady eye out now for a Canon film camera - I'd get double the value from it.

Hope I can afford the divorce lawyer now :D

I'd be in the same boat if I started bidding on it. :eek:

Yeah, I read the reviews before I bought and it seems top notch. Didn't know I could use it on film though. Must keep a beady eye out now for a Canon film camera - I'd get double the value from it.

I am not sure of the coding on Canon (on Nikon it is DX) but most newer lenses that are not specifically built for cropped sensor bodies will work on both film and digital. Their Stats change a bit, sometimes for the better.
    This is the reason I have a Nikon D90 and never really considered Canons line-up, I already had a Nikon Film SLR and a lens or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Wow! Isn't it a beauty!!!!

As much as I'd love to, I've just gone and done a very bold thing.;)
    Just bought a Canon 40d with 28-135 IS USM lens plus a heap of other bits and pieces on Ebay. Hope I can afford the divorce lawyer now :D

Now trying desperately to sell my cameras to help pay for it :eek:
    (see my sig for details)

I would have bought that bag off ya had I've known, just bought one yesterday !:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was very lucky and headed into town reasonably early today to meet a mate. Got to take some photos before the heavens opened. The missus has just told me she's working Saturday so I'll probably head into town and finish the roll of film in the camera. Happy to meet up with anyone who might want to take some photos. (Might take the DSLR too) :eek:

• Advertisement

I was very lucky and headed into town reasonably early today to meet a mate. Got to take some photos before the heavens opened. The missus has just told me she's working Saturday so I'll probably head into town and finish the roll of film in the camera. Happy to meet up with anyone who might want to take some photos. (Might take the DSLR too) :eek:

I'll know later today but it's looking likely that i'll be about the city on Saturday PM with a few hours to look after. If so i'd be happy to meet up. Maybe similar format / meeting time / place???? For me, this time will be digital.

If anyone else wants to join in there'd be plenty of room. Perhaps those that didn't make it last time or made it but didn't hook up would be interested.

Just throwing it out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

(Might take the DSLR too) :eek:
    For me, this time will be digital.

Boards needs a disappointed smiley. For shame !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Boards needs a disappointed smiley. For shame !

Ah now sir, didn't you see where I said 'too'......... I'll take both, no need to leave the DSLR sitting at home all lonely since I got myself a Fed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Any chance of another outing before christmas??

I'm sorta sorry i missed this one......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Finally got my photos developed!

Here's some of my best from the day...

B5715F1A750A453CA5970483AE81AE49-500.jpg

02E6B6D0B03645D6A4D986B7A62F5875-500.jpg

7DD49EA02792464780540B2DDFEE085D-500.jpg

More here http://pix.ie/duffarama

Advertisement