Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical woes

Options
  • 17-10-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Ok, the gist of my query is this. Went to the doctor with a sore head, pain in the ear and some small areas of swelling, as in little clusters, about the size of an apple pip, behind my ear, back of my head and neck, under my chin, but importantly, ONLY on one side of my head. Stopped dead at mid point of chin. Anyway, he says "ear infection" and prescribes ear drops. That will be 45 euro thank you very much. Got the drops and took panadol as told, but 2 days later, getting worse so back to a different doctor, cos its the weekend and first one isnt about. Swelling has continued and spread at this stage, but still confined to exactly one side.Second doctor says "it's viral" and prescribes antibiotics/penicillin, but finally only takes 20 euro from me instead of the requested 50. (money getting tight) Got prescription filled, but later that night, getting worse, swelling has continued and spread so back to (new) doctor who says "thats shingles and pity it wasnt diagnosed earlier, as early treatment is important, (to avoid long term nerve damage) and prescribes anti viral meds (at 200 euro for a weeks course) and takes 65 euro from me for the pleasure. So, now its one week after the first diagnosis, when I should be well on the way to recovery, but I'm not, as medication has an uphill battle, plus I'm out of pocket from misdiagnosis/visits to and prescriptions from two doctors.

So, does one have any comeback? If I left a car into a garage, would I be expected to just keep paying for parts until someone got it right, not to mention the extra pain etc. through having to wait 3 days before starting proper treatment? Sorry about the long post and thanks for any views or opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

sogood wrote: »
    If I left a car into a garage, would I be expected to just keep paying for parts until someone got it right

One of the greatest misconceptions out there is that medicine is an exact science, I recommend House and Scrubs as a tongue in cheek view of how medicine really works :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

me@ucd is spot on in relation to this, nobody says something wll be diagnosed 100% of the time first time.

It can in no way be compared to a broken TV or car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Doctors will usually err on the side of caution when diagnosing as they don't want to prescribe unnecessary medications and/or treatments. "Watchful waiting" is a common thing in medicine. In addition, I would echo everything already mentioned above..

Put it this way, I was brought into hospital for an appendectomy when all I had was a kidney infection! Luckily the doctor in the hospital discovered this before the operation and prescribed medication accordingly.

Doctors can't always get it right and often it is very difficult to diagnose until symptoms progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I had uveitis a few weeks back, originally diagnosed as conjunctivitis, I wasn't charged a penny for the second diagnosis, nor was I charged anything at the eye and ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

A very familiar story - had a similar experience years ago.

Unfortunately, like any other profession or trade, there are good practicioners & less experienced ones, you were just unlucky the first few times.

Not much you can do, except that now you may have found a good doctor - go to him/her first next time. :)

Alos, be sure to keep receipts, you are probably going to be able to claim something back in tax credits for your expensive condition - not the full amount & won't make up for the 2 incorrect diagnoses, but it's something.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I think the first Doc was bang out of order, you paid him a repeat visit for the same complaint, you hould not have been charged or paid the additional €65.
    In the past I've had to revisit my Doc as an antibiotic isn't working or I've needed stronger med for the same complaint, he has never charged me for a second visit, calls it a repeat visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Ginny wrote: »
    I think the first Doc was bang out of order, you paid him a repeat visit for the same complaint, you hould not have been charged or paid the additional €65.
    In the past I've had to revisit my Doc as an antibiotic isn't working or I've needed stronger med for the same complaint, he has never charged me for a second visit, calls it a repeat visit.

Just to clarify, the second visit was to a different doctor, as it was after hours and the original, first doctor wasnt available. Second visit was to the after hours locum type service. PS, I mentioned the fact that the rash was confined to EXACTLY one side of my face/head, which is a classic symptom of shingles, as its a viral nerve infection. I was surprised the first doc didnt pick up on this. Thanks for all your various responses and I suppose I expect too much from the medical profession, given that they can charge 65 euro for 5 minutes, based upon their years of study and expertise etc.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Why did you pay so much for the anti viral meds?
    I had shingles about a month ago - the pharmacy I went to had me sign up to the drugs payment scheme there and then so all I had to pay was €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Anything over €100 spent on perscriptions in one calendar month will be refunded within 2 months if you bring the receipts to your social welfare office. Ring first to see which section. They don't do a online form unfortunately but all they do is sign you up for a drug payments card and take the receipts and you get a cheque back about 2 months later.

As for the doctor I don't think you don't have much chance of getting any money it wasn't the same doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Occam

Ok, the gist of my query is this. Went to the doctor with a sore head, pain in the ear and some small areas of swelling, as in little clusters, about the size of an apple pip, behind my ear, back of my head and neck, under my chin, but importantly, ONLY on one side of my head.

Guess the first thing here is that these symptoms don't scream shingles....
    Second doctor says "it's viral" and prescribes antibiotics/penicillin

That sounds strange, not sure what he was expecting penicillin to do against a virus.....
    (new) doctor who says "thats shingles and pity it wasnt diagnosed earlier, as early treatment is important, (to avoid long term nerve damage)"

Early treatment isn't really important, indeed most people with shingles won't be prescribed antivirals at all, unless they are in a high risk group. Although shingles close to eyes and eyes might indicate antiviral treatment for those outside the risk groups.
    the rash was confined to EXACTLY one side of my face/head, which is a classic symptom of shingles

Not really, a rash on one side of the face sounds like contact dermatitis to me. I don't think they have missed a really obvious diagnosis here...as your condition developed your diagnosis became possible.

As regards the cost.... well its always going to be more expensive to use the out of hours doctor. Most people with shingles wait for "normal" surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Folks, I normally get to say this in my capacity as a Personal Issues moderator, but we cannot hand out medical advice here on boards. There will be no more attempts at second-guessing any of the diagnoses or I will hand out immediate bans

dudara

Advertisement