Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radiography northern ireland / UK

Options
  • 17-10-2009 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm currently in my final year of a Bcomm degree in Ireland. I would like to study for a degree in diagnostic radiography. I got 490 points in my leaving cert so it is unlikely i would get a place in UCD. I know there is a course offered in University of Ulster; the entry requirements for people who sat the LC are:

"B2B2B3B3B3 at higher level, to include English Language, Mathematics, Physics (Physics with Chemistry acceptable) and Biology or Chemistry."

However the only science subject i studied in school was biology. Does this mean I cannot get a place in this course because I haven't studied physics?
    If it is possible for me to gain entry, what are the fees I will have to pay? is there NHS funding available or does this not apply to me as i'm from Ireland?

concerning entry to a college in England or wales; what are the entry requirements for an irish student? and would I have to pay fees?

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

I'm not 100% sure what the terms are but for some reason Irish citizens are covered under the NHS funding too, well for nursing anyway. I would assume radiography would be the same given that it is NHS funded too.

I am just going to assume that you are 23 or about to turn 23 given that you are in your final year of your current degree. If so, you could apply as a mature student to UCD, although already having a degree I don't think free fees would cover you. Can you apply as a mature student to university of ulster?

If you are 23 then educational background doesn't necessarily need to be what the LC requirements are. I'm sure biology will be just fine for you. I'm applying with just anatomy & physiology. Get clinical experience is my advice to you, UCD's website even advise this so it might be a factor in the selection process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 13zeeb

thanks for the reply.
    I have only recently turned 21, so applying as a mature student is not an option for a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 13zeeb

I have made inquiries to a few colleges and two options that i have found are:
    I take leaving cert physics and need to get a b3 or better. then I can gain entry to radiography at UU; which is a 3 year degree. I have been told I am eligible to free tuition fees as this course is allied to medicine and I am an EU student.
    another option is to study radiography at QMU Edinburgh; this is a 4 year degree. I am not certain if I am entitled to free fees; but I presume the same rule would apply that because it is a medical course and I am an EU student free fees, therefore I am eligible.

Can anyone tell me; if I were to study at either UU or QMU would there be a problem for me working in Ireland? has anyone studied radiography at either of these colleges or any other college in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Hiya,
    I'm not sure about working in Ireland but if i were you i would double-check if biology is enough to gain entry if they are looking for physics too.
    I have been trying to apply to UU and the requirements are Maths, English and a Science in the LC but i don't have the science. I'm doing FETAC anatomy and physiology now but it's not recognised. So basically I've been told to get a refund for the HPAT that i already registered for because i don't meet the academic criteria.
    I'm a mature applicant but there is no separate procedure for such. Basically I don't meet the criteria of having done Biology 10 years ago and the only thing they could recommend to me is to do an access course...

Just to save you a heartache later on, you better check it with them now :)

Advertisement