Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Not Just Like a Boat That Goes on Land (or Is This What an Aire is Like?)

• 17-10-2009 2:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

I was on a cruise of the Shannon last week and although it seemed pretty expensive at first glance, thinking about it afterward, there were public marinas/harbours where we could tie up at night, fill the water tanks, dump the rubbish all completely free. There was also a sewage dump and showers at most of them, for a reasonable fee.

How come they can do that for boats, but not for motorhomes? I'm guessing that's what the Aires de Service are like, yeh? I don't see why the clubs can't just broker a deal with whomever's in charge of the waterways, to allow campers to use the harbour facilities.

Any views? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Richie15 wrote: »

How come they can do that for boats, but not for motorhomes? I'm guessing that's what the Aires de Service are like, yeh? I don't see why the clubs can't just broker a deal with whomever's in charge of the waterways, to allow campers to use the harbour facilities.

Any views? :)
    Probably a couple of reasons,
    A. The travelling community typically don't have boats so the Inland Waterways don't have to worry about halting sites all along the Shannon.
    B. Motorhoming/Camping community are considered the "poor" cousins who don't spend money in the local areas.
    C. No County Council/Public organisation (apart from Askeaton councillors) have the imagination to introduce such facilities.

I am all in favour of Aire De Services, I've lobbied some of the councils over the years but falls on deaf ears.
    Portumna marina is an prime example of the need for these services, typically during the summer weekends there can be approx 20 Motorhomes parked up. It's only a matter of time before the council steps and puts a ban in place. On the other hand, take 20 M/Hs at say €10 per night, provide basic services and it would more than cover expenses (might even cover the employment of a caretaker)
    I'd suggest lobbying your local TDs and Councillors for such facilities, eventually they might start to listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

My Dad tried getting Planning permission for one nnear the Shannon , outside Portumna , initial talks with the County Council were very enthusiastic ,...submitted the application for planning , and Refused . Barstewards...

Advertisement