Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Busy P and fellow revellers at Button Factory [warning 8 photos 500x332px]

• 17-10-2009 3:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

On assignment with Trinity News (was going to put this in the random photos thread but there were too many).

3D647A37C3484B818DF8C155E6863509-500.jpg

9A616B5C55DC46F4902D7EC6D4961597-500.jpg

D2995F7F1A694F47930345D76DCE34DF-500.jpg

BD04656184104E03BE6CAC65F3B54F2E-500.jpg

CE43CF11CD2744C0B5F875CA83F59188-500.jpg

585F9EF25E284B96ACED77660DA8C840-500.jpg

FF94EC4DD6EF409EB086F5E0E95B7677-500.jpg

D389E61D0D4D4F7691FC24C1446E5B12-500.jpg

I had earplugs on for the whole 2 hours but could still feel the sounds reverberating through my body. How these people can do it for hours on end without going deaf amazes me!

First time shooting in a club - hope you enjoyed them!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Great shots thirdfox. Love the first one of the DJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Some really nice stuff there.

can you tel me what lens you used and some settings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Chorcai wrote: »
    Some really nice stuff there.

can you tel me what lens you used and some settings ?
    If you click on the photo and scroll down onthe left you will see (more properties) click on it and get all info for each photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Yup - the settings are unchanged (didn't do any post processing - apart from batch resizing and a general smart sharpen).

Shot with a Nikon D90, Sigma 10-20 (at 10mm 99% of the time) and SB-600.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

Your pictures are pretty bloody good. I love the effect on the pictures..I'm not sure, it's like the background is exposed longer than the forefront of the picture. I'm not studying photography or anything so I don't really know the terms..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

You know this isnt a style I would usually go for but man these pics are savage. I know myself it can be hard work at times getting decent pics of revellers and you certainly hit the mark here!

Care to explain your lighting set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Looks like second curtain flash to me. These look great, especially considering the lack of PP.

You know this isnt a style I would usually go for but man these pics are savage. I know myself it can be hard work at times getting decent pics of revellers and you certainly hit the mark here!

Care to explain your lighting set up?

As daycent says - rear curtain sync flash (subject has light trails behind it) rather than slow sync (light trails in front of subject). You do have the problem that people tend to look away after the first flash (it's hard to hold any kind of pose for 5 seconds!) but the positive that people think that you've got your shot and are more natural (resume dancing etc).

SB600 pointed straight up, on camera (could have taken it off camera for more effects) with a business card acting as a light diffuser along with an elastic band ;)

I find that with newspaper shots pp is 1) dangerous if you go beyond simple levels etc adjustments 2) too time consuming when you have to upload them as soon as you get back.

One final thing - besides getting earplugs (highly highly recommended), watch out for flying vodka and beer! I managed to keep the camera dry but the camera bag was an unfortunate casualty. It smells rather funky now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Yeah great pics for first attempt, think busy p is label owner in charge of justice and daft punk and a few more french acts.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    As daycent says - rear curtain sync flash (subject has light trails behind it) rather than slow sync (light trails in front of subject). You do have the problem that people tend to look away after the first flash (it's hard to hold any kind of pose for 5 seconds!) but the positive that people think that you've got your shot and are more natural (resume dancing etc).

SB600 pointed straight up, on camera (could have taken it off camera for more effects) with a business card acting as a light diffuser along with an elastic band ;)

I find that with newspaper shots pp is 1) dangerous if you go beyond simple levels etc adjustments 2) too time consuming when you have to upload them as soon as you get back.

One final thing - besides getting earplugs (highly highly recommended), watch out for flying vodka and beer! I managed to keep the camera dry but the camera bag was an unfortunate casualty. It smells rather funky now :/

Thanks third, I have some experience with club shooting and I have to say one of the most hated parts for me is drunken people wanting to get a picture with me, you know subject a asks subject b to take the camera and take a pic of us both together, trying to keep the camera away from a 6ft drunk without insulting them can be a hard feet. Did you encounter any of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Super shots and fits the brief bang on.

Thanks third, I have some experience with club shooting and I have to say one of the most hated parts for me is drunken people wanting to get a picture with me, you know subject a asks subject b to take the camera and take a pic of us both together, trying to keep the camera away from a 6ft drunk without insulting them can be a hard feet. Did you encounter any of this?

I must not be photogenic enough :D - though people sometimes ask me to use their compact to take some group shots (I do what I can).

I did get one guy running his mouth about Chinese something or others and photographers (didn't hear clearly due to the earplugs). Just deleted his photo, showed him that it was deleted and moved on. People were just generally curious as to "what is this for?" rather than antagonistic.

First time I've ever seen a lady relieve herself in the middle of the road in temple bar too :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I must not be photogenic enough :D - though people sometimes ask me to use their compact to take some group shots (I do what I can).

I did get one guy running his mouth about Chinese something or others and photographers (didn't hear clearly due to the earplugs). Just deleted his photo, showed him that it was deleted and moved on. People were just generally curious as to "what is this for?" rather than antagonistic.

First time I've ever seen a lady relieve herself in the middle of the road in temple bar too :D

that whole jaz is what i love bout shooting events. i used to hate it, really got to love it now... get paid to take pictures of people having fun and usually free booze thrown in. great way to get chatting to the ladies too

Chatting to ladies is a definite perk, always interesting to note the protective boyfriend etc instantly swooping in with a kiss :D - almost feel like David Attenborough "and here we see a rival male entering the territory of the alpha dog". Truth be told, I'm not into the clubbing scene at all (though I agree that it is an interesting thing to photograph).

As for getting paid...well, I do it for the love of photography ;) (and to keep my editor happy!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Pics or it didn't happen :eek:.

I was smart enough not to attempt to get any "real life candids" of that ;) (nor, thinking about it, would I want to!)

that whole jaz is what i love bout shooting events. i used to hate it, really got to love it now... get paid to take pictures of people having fun and usually free booze thrown in. great way to get chatting to the ladies too

I suppose it may be different being a bloke taking the pics, I sometimes feel intimidated by the constant 'let me take a picture of you' crack, then again I am not a huge fan of drunken males. Funny story, I shot a charit gig early this year and 2 blokes were wrecking my head all evening, I was there with pals and my husband was taking part in the gig too so wasnt around at the time, a friend of ours actually stepped in to see if I was ok as the guys seemed a bit full on, they were just having a laugh though enjoying themselves. Anyway a month or so later I called to a potential client, I knew I recognised the groom and assumed it may have been from some of the boxing nights I shot but on the day of the wedding when his pal walked out of the church I knew straight away it was these lads, hilarious, I included the drunken shots when I gave them final pictures, poor bloke was terribly embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i was there,
    2nd last pic girls staying with my room mate
    smallllllllllll world

Advertisement