Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS / SEI

• 17-10-2009 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

All of this FAS stuff in the news this week started me wondering if any of the courses were BER courses. Then I read that the C & G institute were involved and it made me think about the SEI 'loophole' for non dom BERs. I wonder will they make the list of courses public.
    SEI will probably do it by email - with qualifications.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

I think is more of case of SEI allowing certain trainers to run courses for people who passed by a build site once. I would say there was most likely rigging of results there too. Had a energy consultant once ask me if the u value of a roof without insulation was zero. The only thing most these guys will get the experience while working and become less of an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

holdfast wrote: »
    I think is more of case of SEI allowing certain trainers to run courses for people who passed by a build site once. I would say there was most likely rigging of results there too. Had a energy consultant once ask me if the u value of a roof without insulation was zero. The only thing most these guys will get the experience while working and become less of an issue.

Who siad any of them are working, personally I hope that this FAS debacle trigers a complete review of all training courses in the country including the BER training, thoses of us who complied with all the requirements level 6 qualifications etc are blue in the face telling SEI about this problem only to be told it is the trainers and Fetac who are responsible, lets see them all audited there might be a few less assessors then and the race to the bottom may just stop.

IMO the SEI exam introduced earlier this year is also a joke, true you have to pass it but as long as you can read you should manage it as it is open book and very very easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

I agree with you on exam, but at this stage I have given up on the idea anyone will be kicked out because they did not meet the min. requirement. I was p*ssed off with the manner in which it was run and it still operated (estate agents doing their own BER`s etc). I setup myself just to work in this area over a couple of years training and education (still learning which great from post here) and now I will be going back doing planning etc. As I don’t see a future in the area on its own. The value in the product is diminished and even if there was a boom again I believe it would not increase the value placed on the product.

I would like to see the people that invested and saw it a career not a quick buck to make a go off it even if they did not meet the min. requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭TrustNoOne

It's an absolute joke. I'm qualified and also have a level 7 cert in construction. It's unbelieveable the way the whole thing is run. A complete balls-up from top to bottom. I'll admit carrying out a BER is childs play, but certainly there should have been some minimum requirements. This would ensure quality and a market which could keep people sustained.

I remembeer also in my course the instructor had to spend hours explaining to some people what a U-Value was and how tis calculated, while the rest of us were bored silly and getting pissed off.

I wonder will we see registered numbers greatly reduced in the new year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

I totally agree with all of you. I have a level 9 qualification in construction and while I am not a BER acessor I do know a fair bit about insulation having worked in construction for a number of years. I recently came across an assesor who worked in a factory for 20 years previously was trying to pursade me to give him 300 euro so he could survey my house and recommend the most efficent way of saving energy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement