Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for 10 week old Labrador retriever

Options
  • 17-10-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Hi we have our lovely choc lab 2 weeks now and he appears to be thriving. The breeder was feeding him pedigree chum puppyfood and I am just curious if this is the best food for him. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well personally Pedigree Chum isn't the best but some dogs are fine on it.
    I don't own a lab but I know a good few people here do - and they can probably recommend a certain brand that their labs do great on.

I've two Lhasas and ones on Royal Canine and the others on James WellBeloved because the younger one reacts to Royal Canine. So sometimes it's reading ingredients and finding out what's best for your breed, and making sure there's enough of the right ingredients especially for a growing pup.

As I'm sure you know with changing foods (if you decide to) you do it slowly over a week or so, more new food and less old food with each day until it's all new food - that way it won't upset the pups tummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

royal canine create blends specific for breed and you can get one for the labrador retriever in junior, adult and senior.

as labs are very prone to gaining weight easily (even when exercised) I recommend that you use this (or a similar brand made specifically for breed) as it is formulated keeping the lab weight and other issues in mind.

I changed my cocker onto the royal canine cocker and I cannot believe the difference in her.

Apparently the pedigree chum is like fatty mince and the royal canine (and other decent brands) is like the best steak you can get.

keep in mind star-pants advice about changing over gradually.

you can buy the royal canine on www.zooplus.ie or in most petshops and some vets.

the reason why many breeders use the pedigree chum is that they find when new owners take the dogs they find it hard to source the better foods (as its usually a longer journey to pet store rather than local supermarket) but since zooplus has arrived its brought great convenience to our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Hi SarahSassy!
    Congradulations on your new puppy! I have a lab also, he is 6 months old and is seriously mad! Apparentley labradors are pretty crazy untill the age of 2!!! lol
    When I got Ozzie I started him out on Royal Canin Junior for Labradors. To be honest, he didn't seem to like it atall and after reading up about it a lot of people seemed to think it was over rated and not worth the high price! I decided to change him to Jameswellbeloved! I got him a bag of puppy fish and rice and gradualy changed him over, he seemed to enjoy it a lot more and he was doing really well on it!! However, it doesn't seem to be kept in stock by any of the petstores near me which turned out to be a bit of a nightmare! I refused to shop on zooplus after a bad experience with a faulty kennel they refused to replace so I was back on the hunt for a new brand!!!!

I started reading labrador forums and came across http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ which is an english site!! A large amount of the members on there use a brand called 'Skinners' and they seem to swear by it!! I went onto the skinners website (http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/)and emailed them, they sent me the number for a rep in Cork, I called her and she delivered a bag to me the next day!! Ozzie loves the stuff, he goes absolutely nuts when i pour it in his bowl!! He's on his 2nd 15kg bag now and he's doing really well, his coat is lovely and he's in brilliant shape, everyone comments on how well he looks!! I would definitely reccommend it!!
    Also, because it's working dogs food it's VAT free so it's a bit cheaper too!! A 15kg bag of puppy food was €35 which i thought was good value!!
    I don't know where your based but I have the number for the Cork Rep if you want it send me a pm! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My 14 week old Rottweiler pup is on Jameswellbeloved Puppy and she is absolutely the picture of health on it, I'm really happy with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Royal Canin maxi junior for our golden retriever. JWB didn't agree with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

tk123 wrote: »
    Royal Canin maxi junior for our golden retriever. JWB didn't agree with him.

Thanks - do you find it much more expensive ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I have a 13month old lab. I find the hills sicence plan large breed quite good and can be ordered online cheaper than it costs in pet stores here(including delivery). Orijen large breed puppy is very good also. I mix in some fish/chicken with most meal anyway. If you are using cheaper dry dog food adding some cheap cooked chicken into it to increase nutritional content.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Thanks - do you find it much more expensive ?

It's around €22 on zooplus for a 4kg bag or €25 in Petmania. You can get a bigger 16kg bag on zooplus and it works out cheaper again. Did you get papers from the breeder yet because they usually give vouchers for Royal Canin.

Advertisement