Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on Steyr SSG04

Options
  • 17-10-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Newbie here - First Post - So Hello!

Some advice needed -

I am looking for any some good advice, reviews, or first-hand experience anyone may have in relation to the Steyr SSG 04 in .308w, or on Steyr rifles in general.

Had my sights set on a Sako TRG22 - but not 100% sure I can justify the additional €1000+ expense to myself! Have narrowed down the "more-cost-effective" choice to a Steyr SSG04, but cannot find any detailed or first-hand reviews for this rifle.

Has anyone any advice / opinions / views on this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

BTW Forgot to mention in OP:

I will be using this rifle on the range for target shooting at 100m - 600m, and possibly / eventually / hopefully for F/TR.

Oh, and yes, before anyone mentions it - I do already have the Savage F/TR on my "shopping list"!:D

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

thats a beautiful looking rifle
    try http://snipercentral.com
    hope that link works

Thanks Endasmail!
    Yep, it's a lovely looking piece of equipment all right.:D
    I have checked out Sniperscentral, 6mmBR, etc. - but all to no avail!
    Hoping some of the lads of here might have some first-hand experience of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Had a couple of shots from an SSG04 at 200. Very fine accurate rifle. I had an SSG69 some while back in .243 and it was a humdinger as well.

Changing my own rifle when the mess dies down but it'll probably be for the Savage F\TR 9 (although I can't get the TRG22 out of my head either).

Can't say for certain that the TRG22 is better than the Steyr (as I have not shot more than a few rounds through them) but that does seem to be the concensus among the guys I've spoken to who own TRGs and they do seem to fare well at the longer ranges in Midlands.

Personally, I'm going to cut the wife's rations and opt for the Savage or the TRG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JDBLASER

Have a friend who had an SSG in both 308 and 300 win mag and changed to TRG in 308 and its a far better rifle and was well worth the extra cash. Ive had a TRG myself in 338 and loved it. Would recommend them highly..

• Advertisement

Thanks Freddieot & JDBlaser

Yep - the TRG always seems to be leading the way in this particularly competition! But......

The apparent cost difference is in the region of nearly €2K, when you take into account the various bits of gear (and I'm not even thinking of getting the TRG bipod - a good old harris will do for me!)

If I give up smoking, drinking, driving, and possibly eating, the budget may allow for the TRG:D - but seriously, I could probably stretch my budget to the TRG, but I'm not 100% sure that the TRG is THAT much better?

Would love one though!:D I've seen a couple of the lads at Midlands shooting some great groups with the TRG out to 600m - but then again, that could be down to their own skill and ability.

I do realise that all the reports and reviews for the TRG are fantastic and glowing - and I am sold on its qualities - and the replies here are backing that up!

JDBlaser seems to sum it up nicely - "well worth the extra cash"!

However.....if my budget won't stretch that far - would I be getting "value for my money" on the SSG04?:confused:

Thanks for all your advice so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have a TRG22 in .308 (Pic 1) and love it to pieces. Good heavy round with alot of punch. Has a more "arced" trajectory but good out to 1000+ yds. Less affected by the wind compared to say the 6.5X55. Have a 6.5X55 Sig SSG 205 (Pic 2) and its perfectly good or 600, 800, 900 yds even out to 1000 yds. After that even with a 155gr bullet it would not have the same "staying power" as the .308 round. (My opinion).

Owned a Steyr in .243 a few years ago but it was a hunting rifle so can offer no advice on the Steyr, but i will say at 23.5" the barrel seems to short. The Sako TRG22 has a 26" while the Savage FTR has a 30". Without going into F-Class costs (6.5X284 rifles, new barrel every 800 - 1000 round, etc) the Svage is best for value for money. The Sako is worth the money but have to admit it is not a kick in the a**e off F-Class rifle money but its a once off purchase. Barrel will last you 5,000+ round.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks Ezridax - some great pointers there.

Yep, it definitely looks like the TRG is winning the competition hands down! Had a good close look at a TRG on the range today - Very nice indeed - and again, the glowing references all round from everyone asked.

Just heard that there may be some slight glitches with the SBS action on the Steyr SSG04 - Anyone else heard anything about this or know if this is still an issue? (May only relate to previous models, apparently)

So, still looking for some glowing references for the SSG04!:D

More advice, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JDBLASER

One note worth remembering with the ssg, point of impact is known to change when using a bipod. This is due to the fore end not being the stiffest.. And if you do get the TRG you gotta have the proper bipod! It works a dream, far better than harris.. Use it once and you will aggree me thinks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

JDBLASER wrote: »
    One note worth remembering with the ssg, point of impact is known to change when using a bipod. This is due to the fore end not being the stiffest..

This problem has seemingly been resolved by beefing up the forend. I know this used to be an issue before. Shooting buddy has one the past year in 300 mag and has had no problems with the point of aim/point of impact shifting with the use of a bipod. I think the T3 tactical used to have the same issue but this was also resolved using the method described

• Advertisement

JDBLASER wrote: »
    ............ And if you do get the TRG you gotta have the proper bipod! It works a dream, far better than harris.....

Have to disagree there. A lad i shot against a few weeks ago said apart from the cost of the Sako Bi-pod (€450 ish) which is similar to the Versa Pod i have on my Sig and allows the rifle to cant it makes the shooter work more to steady the rifle. I can only repeat what he said as i've never used a Sako Bi-pod.

With the expensive cost of everything Sako, the fact that the Harris locks the rifle and prevents canting, only costs 25% of the Sako, works every bit as good as the Sako (if not better from what i've seen) why would i go for the Sako first.

Why not buy the Harris and try it. See if someone has a Sako Bi-pod and have a shot and see the difference. The Harris can be re-sold as it fits the majority of rifle where as the Sako if you are not happy with it only fits the Sako and its alot of money to be stuck with.

Its down to personal choice but i would recommend the Harris and have had no trouble with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/SteyrMannlicherSSG_PII_Opposing.asp

Here's a review of it

One fair argument against the SSG is that it is difficult to rebarrel. According to GSI (US importers of the SSG) the barreled action has to be sent back to the factory for replacement. I logged over 7,200 rounds of Federal Match through my SSG before I got an AI AW for duty use. The SSG was a consistent .5 MOA shooter for 4,700 rounds. My group aggregates started to open up after that, and eventually were around .9-1.0 MOA at the 7,000 round mark. However, my cold bore shots always were within .75MOA of my point of aim, even after 7,000 rounds. This is still acceptable performance, as your cold bore shot is what matters most.

This would be something that would deter me from owning one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

You can try the likes of fox firearms for something different. The price sterling is way down compared to what it was.

http://www.foxfirearmsuk.com/mainpagefront.htm
    http://www.foxfirearmsuk.com/stocklist/Fox Firearms Stocklist.pdf

Damn - wrote a nice detailed reply to all - and deleted it by accident!

dCorbus wrote: »
    Damn - wrote a nice detailed reply to all - and deleted it by accident!

:D:D:D:D

Right -

Thanks for all the great advice so far, lads.

Red Renard - Fox Firearms - V. Nice indeed. What's that sound......oh yeah my visa card bursting into flames!:D Hmmmm a Bernard / Surgeon Action on a AICS stock.....Gotta stop now! Credit Crunch - what credit crunch?! Although, good pointer - May just give them a call to see what their prices are like.

Jonty - thanks for that. Think I'd seen that review before, but thought it was just for the SSG69 PII (Another goodie previously on the old shopping list). Thanks for repointing me in that direction - True, the re-barrelling issue might just stop me in my tracks.

Rob / JDB / Ezridax - Thanks, lads.

Have to say I'm tending to agree with Ezridax in "the Great Sako v. Harris Bipod Debate" - The Sako bipod is WAY too expensive for what it is IMHO! I'd expect a cup of tea every morning brought to me in bed by the Bipod for that sort of money:rolleyes:

Had a good look at the very selfsame shooter, TRG rifle, and bipod mentioned by Ezridax - From what I could see (and that's using my own extremely inexperienced eyes), the shooter in question appeared to have to deal with just a wee bit too much movement when using that Sako bipod. That said, he's a bloody great shot and the movement didn't appear to effect his results detrimentally (although, it does lead me to imagine what the results would have been if he didn't need to deal with what appeared to me to be just that small extra bit of unwanted/unnecessary movement).

All in all, some great advice - thanks.

Now, the jury is still out - and keep the advice coming!
    Either way, muggins-here is going to have to make his own decision - and rise to glory or fall to despair with the consequences of that decision!:D

Or I might just blame everyone else and my crap rifle for those really loose groups and the flyers!:rolleyes: An instant excuse! (As a wise man once said to me: "Get your excuses in, before your shots":D)

Thanks.

:D Ezridax

BTW PM Sent - You get it?

Apologies dCorbus, forgot all about it. PM sent now.

Got it - Thanks.

Anymore advice out there, lads?

Advertisement