Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

longboard coleman slide

Options
  • 17-10-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

So far I've managed to bugger me hips, hurt my knees and generally part take in conversations with my grand-dad.

The back of my board doesn't seem to swing out quite as much as it should, it more just does a slightly sharper carve than a slide. I should probably point out at this stage that I have not yet invested in any gear, I use a pair of gardening gloves for slide gloves, and a heavy jumper for arm protectors (I'm always buying these things next week).

Am I just not throwing myself at the tarmac with enough abandon, or has anyone any advice suggestions on how to get it going? I'm on a globe longboard with 65mm 83a wheels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Well, I don't have a longboard but I do like to throw out my tail when I'm skating and snowboarding.

I find if i crouch pretty low, put all the pressure on my back heal and really give it a long hard push rather then the short burst of power that most do, it goes out flying.
    To stop yourself going on your ear though, you have to stay low and plant your hand on the ground, leave your front foot light enough untill the back end comes around and then when switch all your power to the front foot and take the pressure of the back. Note, at this stage, the feet become opposites.
    To leave it as a low revert, just stand back up.
    To take is round, 360 degrees, just use the momentum you've already built up and repeat what I've said above.

This is really an all body trick, I find.
    Starting with your legs, obviously, but a lot of your turning power comes from your hips and abdomen. Your hand and arms are all really for balance.
    Always use your head as well, keep looking where you want the nose to end up, this way your whole body will fallow and as a result the board should, in theory come around with you.

It's a lot to take in at first, but it becomes second nature after a while.
    Not something that comes to you straight away either, it takes a bit of practice to keep it clean with out stopping in between.

Keep in mind, the whole move should take about 2 seconds, for the full rotation.
    If you want to stop the board after 90degrees and slid, just stop the body movements al look straight ahead.
    Dig your heals in at the back of your board and push it out, not to sharply or you'll just come flying down onto your arse.
    Naturally, plant your back hand down behind you, not to hard, just to brace/balance yourself.
    Once the slid starts, try and even out the pressure on your feet and you should keep moving, once the pressure is even the slide will start to stop.
    Don't put the pressure on your toes, you'll just face plant if you're going at any speed.

To get our and keep rolling, either keep to turn and ride out fakie or reverse the movements and you'll come out forward.

Keep low until all is finished, this is key with these kinds of moves.

Hope this helped.
    Let me know of your progress and if something isn't working, let me know and I'll try to help out.
    Keep riding. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Psydeshow

Nice one for the detailed reply! I was probably replying too much on momentum to do the work and not enough hip power in there.

Reckon it'll be next weekend before I get a chance to put it all into practice, (damn employment), but really looking forward to givin it a bash now.

Advertisement