Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned From AH, a tad heavyhanded

Options
  • 17-10-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I just got banned for the first time in 2 years, and I feel it was wrong.

A poster in the Stephen Gately/Daily Mail thread said that Jan Moir was only saying what everyone was thinking- I replied that if that's what she was a biggoted tool(the article was deeply homophobic). I never actually said "YOU ARE A BIGOTTED TOOL".

It was also going with the general consensus of the thread. I've never pissed off a mod before, I think this was heavyhanded and would like the ban lifted please!:)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wrong forum, you need to post in helpdesk ;)

Why don't you try pming Frada. If you're reasonable and friendly with mods they tend to be reasonable and friendly right back atchoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Why don't you try pming Frada. If you're reasonable and friendly with mods they tend to be reasonable and friendly right back atchoo.

Did that, can't say I found him reasonable. I understand the need to police forums, but am really annoyed about the ban.

Cheers for the tip re Helpdesk though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

This is not true. I got infracted by Frada for calling anyone who ageed with Jan Moir a narrow minded idiot. And we were friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This is the problem with death threads, some opinions are always likely to seem offensive to others

imo, if it's in AH then opinions from both sides should be permitted, or none at all

there's a celebrity forum with more stringent rules, so why not use that if people want a one sided discussion?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You could argue with the post rather than implying the poster was a bigotted tool. Surely you can see that posts like yours are only making the situation worse?

I'm not sure there's necessarily a "right" answer to this one.

Don't think I'd expect a straight off ban for that though.

Haven't read the whole thread though and as usual that means I'm missing all the valuable info.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

ban seems fair enough to me, you implied somebody was a tool, not really the way to argue your point and lets down "general consensus of the thread" which you think justifies in some way your actions. How long is the ban, if it only a few days then don't see what the issue is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

ban seems fair enough to me, you implied somebody was a tool, not really the way to argue your point and lets down "general consensus of the thread" which you think justifies in some way your actions. How long is the ban, if it only a few days then don't see what the issue is

It's not the length of the ban that bothers me, it's the ban itself.I've seen far worse stuff be let slide, particularly in AH, as gentle slagging is the nature of the beast over there. Heck,I've been victim of it myself and havn't exactly gone running to the Mods about it, I just accept it.

I wouldn't have even minded a warning, at least give me the chance to get my posts back on topic. A straight out ban seems OTT to my mind.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's not the length of the ban that bothers me, it's the ban itself.I've seen far worse stuff be let slide, particularly in AH, as gentle slagging is the nature of the beast over there. Heck,I've been victim of it myself and havn't exactly gone running to the Mods about it, I just accept it.

I wouldn't have even minded a warning, at least give me the chance to get my posts back on topic. A straight out ban seems OTT to my mind.

You were personally insulting to another poster. That's not ok in AH at all. There is no culture there that allows insults against other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The minute you go down the road of harping on about how "Others say worse and get punished less" I stop reading your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There's a Help Desk thread. I know it's fun to have a mob thread as well but there's really only a need for one and this should have been there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement