Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyorgy Ligeti

Options
  • 17-10-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Where do I start?

I've heard Atmospheres, Poem Symphonique for 100 Metronomes, The Devil's Staircase, and Fanfares, and I want more!

This guy could well be one of my favourite composers, based on what I've heard so far. I'm going to look for his piano etudes in the library on Monday.

Has anyone any recommendations on Ligeti?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The sonata for solo cello is one of my Desert Island pieces - some of the most beautiful solo cello writing I've ever heard.

The two string quartets are very good (and see if you can spot the out-of-the-blue perfect cadence into E Major in the otherwise atonal no. 2).

Melodien is one of his better known, but not one of my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Check out Continuum for harpsichord for some ear melting rhythmic ingenuity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Check out Lux Aeterna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Wow, thanks guys! I'm loving the string quartets and Lux Aeterna. I'm gonna need to buy some CDs and give all this a proper listen. I couldn't find any good versions of Continuum and the cello sonata on YouTube.

Thanks again!

Advertisement