Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Pet Terrapin

Options
  • 17-10-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

:p
    is there anybody out there that can answer this question
    do you know is it safe to keep a terrapin in direct sun light.
    THANKS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

They need sun light! Do you keep them inside? If you do they need a uv light - they need sunlight to help them absorb calcium for good shell growth!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

yip exactly as fayesy said. We used to bring our fella outside for a bit on sunny days :D
    His tank was inside and his set up included the uv light.

Are you asking if you can keep them outside in direct sunlight or inside by a window? I just ask as be careful having them near a window as it can encourage algae to grow faster meaing the tank will need to be cleaned more regularly to avoid it stinking!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ann marie30

:) I forget to ask is it really necessary for my terrapin to have a uv light as i do not have one at the moment i just have him inside on the window ledge :o

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

:) I forget to ask is it really necessary for my terrapin to have a uv light as i do not have one at the moment i just have him inside on the window ledge :o

Yes it is neccessary they can develop metabolic bone disease and pyramidding of the shell if they don't have UV light.

Fayesy has already explained it - I've quoted her below
    FAYESY wrote: »
    they need a uv light - they need sunlight to help them absorb calcium for good shell growth!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

Seriously.. Get onto some reptile boards and look at some caresheets quick.

Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Glass blocks UV so even if they are in the sun they aren't getting any UV. And is that font really necessary??

Advertisement