Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned From AH, a tad heavyhanded

Options
  • 17-10-2009 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I just got banned for the first time in 2 years, and I feel it was wrong.

A poster in the Stephen Gately/Daily Mail thread said that Jan Moir was only saying what everyone was thinking- I replied that if that's what she was a biggoted tool(the article was deeply homophobic). I never actually said "YOU ARE A BIGOTTED TOOL".

It was also going with the general consensus of the thread. I've never pissed off a mod before, I think this was heavyhanded and would like the ban lifted please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

This was the post you quoted:
    irishbird wrote: »
    she was only saying what everyone was thinking

In response to that, you posted:
    If that's what you're thinking you're a bigotted tool.

I banned you for suggesting that someone else was a bigoted tool. The "if" excuse doesn't wash as irishbird was clearly including herself among the "everyone" mentioned in her post, therefore you were insulting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Looks like an obvious insult to me - this line of "I never technically said X" usually doesn't wash and it doesn't wash this time I'm afraid.

There isn't an issue of pissing off a mod, they're not going to dislike you just because they banned you at all or for what is it, 7 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

One day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

sceptre wrote: »
    Looks like an obvious insult to me - this line of "I never technically said X" usually doesn't wash and it doesn't wash this time I'm afraid.

There isn't an issue of pissing off a mod, they're not going to dislike you just because they banned you at all or for what is it, 7 days?

Sceptre, apologies for not mentioning in the Feedback thread that I'd moved this over here; totally forgot!

I'm just annoyed that what was picked out as an "insult" was hardly harsh. and i stand by what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sceptre, apologies for not mentioning in the Feedback thread that I'd moved this over here; totally forgot!
    No worries, i closed the other one anyway.
    I'm just annoyed that what was picked out as an "insult" was hardly harsh. and i stand by what I said.
    Fair enough. But "If that's what you're thinking you're a bigotted tool" is an insult so there we go. I already pointed that out in post 3. It appears we're not going to agree on this but an insult it is.

You mightn't like what someone else says on the thread (as it happens, yesterday on twitter I said "Managing to give stupid cows a bad name, yes, it's the Daily Mail's Jan Moir") but the rules against insulting other members are there for a reason. Popping in comments like "if that's what you think" or "allegedly" or "people like you are..." don't make things any less of an insult so let's not pretend that they do.

You obviously also see a one day ban as too severe but that's the shortest ban a mod can hand out if they want to hand one out. Avoid flicking insults the way of other members and you're not likely to see another one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement