Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am quitting on money

Options
  • 17-10-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

I have been thinking of given up smoking for ages.

Today i have decided that monday is the day i quit.

Its not going to be easy with 2 smokers living in the house.

Ok Monday it is then, i really hope i can do this>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Good luck. I wish you success.

If it's not too much maybe you could ask your housemates to not smoke in the common areas, at least for a little while. That would help with you trying to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

That is a great idea! Take one step at a time and you can do it. I have given up smoking this past year after 10 years and would never ever go back. It's a totally different feeling. I have whiter teeth, my eyes are clearer and more sparkly, my clothes smell lovely! Oh yeah and I have a proper sense of smell and taste now. My advice is prepare for it. You should stock up on loads of chewing gum, about 10 packs, loads of bottles of water to sip on constantly because you will feel really thirsty. Just get past the cravings which will feel like panic/stress going through your body and tightening around the eyes and don't look back my friend! It will be so hard with your 2mates smoking in the house but stay away from them because it will be too tempting sorta like when father ted was trying to quit and someone was smoking in front of him :). You are gonna save so much money, you will feel so much fresher and even more focused because you won't be ruled by the cycle of smoking. You can do this! If you slip up don't worry just keep going for it. Good luck mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

As an extra incentive for yourself, be vigilant in putting the money you would spend on smoking every day in a jar on a daily basis and then treat yourself. Am 100 days off them this coming Thursday. It is SOOOO worth it, the first few days are hard but then you will be free from it's evil clutches and from thereonin it's taking it one day at a time. Best decision you've ever made OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    As an extra incentive for yourself, be vigilant in putting the money you would spend on smoking every day in a jar on a daily basis and then treat yourself.

That's great advice. I did that for good while after I quit and you'll be amazed at how quickly it builds up. It's a really good incentive as it shows how much money you wasted and then you can get yourelf something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Im two and a half years off them. Best decision I ever made. First few weeks were hell though especially if I had a couple of beers.

I save money, smell better and am healthier. Appetite exploded so I had to take up some serious excercise to compensate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

good luck OP!!
    are you going cold turkey??

i am a smoker...........and want to give up, but i have the fear!!! would be great to hear how your getting on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just read the thread title there and I got the impression that you were quitting purely for the financial side of it (which makes sense), but now see it was meant to be "monday".
    Fair play to you for giving it a go, as someone else mentioned put the money you would normally spend on the fags into a moneybox and treat yourself everynow and then.

I once convinced my uncle to give up the fags, when I did out the sums of how much he spent a year.
    He smoked about 40 a day, at a fiver a packet (a few years ago) he spent €3640 on fags in the year. He stopped instantly, had a few false dawns but go there in the end.
    He still puts that money into a cash box and breaks is out whenever he needs to buy a car etc.

Now, I've never smoked, but I cant see that extra 3640 a year that I dont spend on fags. I should really "pretend" I smoke, and put the money away anyway.

Again, best of luck with it, there are numerous reasons to do it, finance probably being the least important one.

Advertisement