Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats mixing with a fox

Options
  • 17-10-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

My pet cats have befriended a fairly tame local fox. They happily play with each other and chase each other around and also sit with each other. The fox seems in good health (Colour, hair, well fed etc) But im wondering should i be worried that the fox may be able to pass an illness etc onto my cats?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Ticks and fleas yes, mange apparently not but the fox can infect dogs with mange. Personally I wouldn't encourage the fox as the last one thing you want is the stink right by your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

whats a stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Apart from ticks and fleas as mentioned...oh and the possibility of bein eaten :D i cant see any harm in it. Id say its very cute to watch is it? Pics next time!

Yes it was amazing to watch, Apparently according to my neighbours its been going on for some time, Just this morning i caught them all playing. I would say the fox is juvenile as its not the biggest ive seen, but 3 or 4 times the size of 1 of my biggest cats. Im not worried about ticks/fleas, as im used to the cats picking them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Where we used to live there were feral cats who spent a lot of time curled up on our shed roof. We couldn't believe it when we saw a fox with them one day - he was in the middle of the pack, also snoozing in the sun, and seemed quite at home. The cats just accepted him, so he must have been around them since he was very young

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

pictures/videos would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If they are getting on well and playing can't see the harm, if your cats are regularly treated with Advocate or the like that will prevent any parasites.

If you can take a photo or even a video of them!!

There were some foxes on Autumn watch last night bouncing on a trampoline, very cute.

Yes I may set the web cam up on the window sill. Seems the fox vists our estate early in the morning, Apparently it has been around for some time and is quite tame (Even attempting to nip into peoples homes when doors are open)

Advertisement