Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice - Rent Lease Issue

Options
  • 17-10-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

I have just moved in to a place, I was told there was 4 ppl in the house plus me which would be 5 when I agreed to the lease on Tuesday. When I arrived yday to move in I was told there is 6 ppl in the house plus me which would be 7 people. I am not very happy about this to be honest, its too many ppl to be living with imo. If I was unhappy about this and wanted to cancel my 12 month lease , is that possible like other goods/service contracts, I dont feel happy about it all. If I was to cancel my lease, would I almost expect to lose my months rent and deposit?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Check what your lease says.
    If it species a set number of people in the property- you're fine. If it doesn't- surely you'd get a reciprochal reduction in your rent, in recognition of the extra person there?

If you were told there were X number of people living in the house, and took the house on that basis- regardless of whether its specified or not- I think its a reasonable assumption that you could expect both your rent and deposit back in full (though I would expect a bit of a fight on your hands)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Thanks mate,

I am staying there for the first time tonight, I am going to give it a go over the next few days and see what the story is , but something tells me its gonna be way too many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Chong wrote: »
    I was told there was 4 ppl in the house plus me which would be 5 when I agreed to the lease on Tuesday. When I arrived yday to move in I was told there is 6 ppl in the house plus me which would be 7 people.
    Is the landlord aware of the amount of people living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Did you lease the property through a letting agent or directly from the landlord? And are there 7 individual people there or is it 5 people, two of whom have an OH sharing with them? If it's the latter, then perhaps the landlord/letting agent is unaware of the extra two people?

It would probably be best to mention the extra people to the landlord/letting agent asap as it may make it easier to leave/get your deposit back if you decide to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also check the register on prtb.ie and see how many bed spaces the place is registered for. It is illegal to have more people than there are registered spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 therogue

if theres 3 bedrooms spaces does that mean it illegal to have say 5 people living in a place?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

therogue wrote: »
    if theres 3 bedrooms spaces does that mean it illegal to have say 5 people living in a place?

Not necessarily- it depends on whether they are single or double rooms, and even then, the landlord may not be found culpable if this is breached (I'm sure he/she doesn't go peeking in people's bedrooms to make sure people are sleeping unaccompanied.......)

Advertisement