Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clearways - Where Are the Clampers?

• 17-10-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

The Dublin Clearways have now become a bit of a joke thanks to the inaction of these other jokers: the Clampers. Nearly every day ( morning and evening ) cars are parked with impunity on clearways during the prohibited hours thus blocking vital traffic arteries. But, while cars overstaying their time by a few minutes at parking meters are subjected to being clamped with vicious puctuality, those who selfishly block vital traffic flow streets between 4 and 5 in the evening and between 7 and 8 in the morning are not likely to be bothered by the aformentioned clampers. Why is this? Who decides this? Who controls the clamping operation? And why do these people decide to ignore breach of a serious law but ruthlessly inforce infringement of a minor law?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ernest wrote: »
    Who controls the clamping operation?
    the local authority, i.e the same crowd you should put your other questions to because only they have the answers.
    and why do these people decide to ignore breach of a serious law but ruthlessly inforce infringement of a minor law?
    I understand your frustration but fixed penalty parking offences are hardly serious crime ffs. Parking in a clearway will get you a fine of €40 rising to €60 if you don't pay up on time. Serious crime will get you jail.

BTW, you can always report the clearway blockers to the Gardaí, they have responsibility in public places too. If there's a significant obstruction they might tow it away which is even better than a clamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Overstaying on a meter should be dealt with by a fine with clampers etc used for scofflaws and clearways etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I dunno, clamping a car that overstays parking is a harsh, but probably effective punishment and in theory would eventually solve the 'people not paying for parking' problem.
    For clearways, dangerous parking, etc, clamping is an awful solution; it just prolongs the car being an obstruction, tow it to Santry I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Well, yes of course, clamping cars in clearways does not clear the clearways. My post was really complaining about the lack of any serious enforcement of the crime of parking on a clearway. I presume the nice people who clamp motorists for exceeding their parking meter time by A FEW MINUTES are the same people who call in the tow-away trucks. The point is that they are nowhere to be seen on the clearways in the morning and evening rush-hours even thought I have seen them many times clamping tourists parked at meters in the very early morning. Keeping the traffic moving in rush hour surely is more important than draconian enforcement of meter time. Anyway whatever happened to parking tickets for meter over-stay offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cork city is the same. You see clampers waiting next to cars with stopwatches when they find a car with a few minutes left on the disc, but head just up the road and you'll find cars parked on bends, on double yellow lines, double parked blocking one lane of traffic, parked on roundabouts, the works. The message seems to be "park like a **** and you'll be fine, try parking in the designated space and we'll do our very best to screw you".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

slimjimmc wrote: »

BTW, you can always report the clearway blockers to the Gardaí, they have responsibility in public places too. If there's a significant obstruction they might tow it away which is even better than a clamp.

Good idea. Good luck with finding a Garda who gives a f*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I dunno, clamping a car that overstays parking is a harsh, but probably effective punishment and in theory would eventually solve the 'people not paying for parking' problem.

Vehicles parked in bays are not obstructing anyone. To discourage people saving 50c by not paying for long enough at a meter, a €50 fine would be a sufficient punishment.

Advertisement