Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty camera from Dabs

Options
  • 17-10-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

So I bought a digital camera from Dabs about 9 months ago. It's developed a "lens error" fault (as per the message on the display).

I got an RMA number from Dabs and sent it back to them. Dabs shortly got in touch and said they'd received it, but they won't do anything unless I send them the "cables, software and accessories".

Well, a cable for the computer I have, software I haven't, and accessories - what accessories? The 32mb SD card that comes with it? I'm sure I chucked it out when I bought a 4gb SD card.

Anyway - question is, are Dabs entitled to demand receipt of the "cables, software and accessories" that came with the camera, in order to repair or replace the camera due to the lens error?

Many thanks in advance for any help given. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

If you bought the product from them, and it is faulty, dabs is legally responsible for it's repair/replacement/refund. The fault is not with the cables or software or accessories. Irrespective of any other items that came with it, it is the camera which is faulty and they must repair it. So they cannot fob you off with that excuse. Once you have proof of purchase and the faulty item itself, they must act. Imagine phone retailers demanding the boxes and cables that phones were shipped with before they would repair. Nonsense :) .

Why would they want the cables back anyway? They cannot resell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

generally they will only be asking for those if its going to be replaced.

i cant see why they cant just take out the software, cable and extras out of the new one...put them with the old one..and just send you what you sent them (thats of course if they are replacing it)

if its being repaired its very silly of them asking for those things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I can see two reasons; one being because the RMA with the manufacturer is to send everything back and the second being the refund option (where all has to be returned=.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

they may also not have the same model in stock as its 9 months old,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I appreciate the replies lads.

So what do we think, is it lawful or unlawful for Dabs to demand cables, software and accessories in the case of a lens error on a digital camera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Unlawful. They still have an obligation to remedy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is unjustified , yes . I send laptops off to dell for repair all the time and I always remove the hard drive unless it is a hard drive fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

benifa wrote: »
    I appreciate the replies lads.

So what do we think, is it lawful or unlawful for Dabs to demand cables, software and accessories in the case of a lens error on a digital camera?
    Unlawful. They still should repair it. However, as already mentioned, it sounds like they were going to refund you or offer an item of equivalent value had you returned everything to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you should gather up whatever accessories you can that came with the camera and send these back with a note stating the rest have been thrown out as not required by you, also remind them that they are still obliged to repair replace or refund regardless of what accessorise you still have

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kensington wrote: »
    Unlawful. They still should repair it. However, as already mentioned, it sounds like they were going to refund you or offer an item of equivalent value had you returned everything to them.
    The seller has three options, repair, replace and refund; going for refund is not unlawful, esp. if they can't offer a repair or replace. Hence if it is a refund then they have the right to have everything back that came with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement