Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath or no?

Options
  • 17-10-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

My husband and I have just found out we're expecting (just 6 weeks gone), and we had been toying with the idea of turning our bathroom into a wetroom and getting rid of the bath - have someone coming over next week to give us a quote.

I think with a baby on the way we'd be mad to get rid of the bath but he's thinking we can still do it and get some kind of a small baby bath on a stand for the new arrival. We only have one main bathroom (and a downstairs toilet) so this is the only bath in the house.

Any opinions from parents to help us resolve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You'll only have the baby bath for a few months really and you can't bath a toddler in one!
    Difficult to shower a toddler too I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

+1

Mine will just about tolerate the shower now aged 5 and 7. Too much fun to be had in the bath :).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

+1
    can't imagine having no bath with small children.....of course it's possible to use shower, but not half as nice - plus you'd be soaked yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Mainly down to work I take my lil girl into shower with me most mornings aged 20 months for the past 2/3 months not a bother on her.

The only thing I would say is kids love the bath. When I do give her one she cries getting out. I think it is a great way to play with her and its good for them in the sense, the understand water, like pouring from cup to cup.. she is understanding now that when she turns things upside down things fall out if you get me.

I personally would recommend keeping your bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Showers for adults, baths for kiddies. :) Our little one LOVES it.

edit: Like cookie jar, our little one will have a shower if we're under time pressure, but she has a strong preference for the bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I'd stay with the bath as well. My little one loves it. All them bubbles and floating / sticky toys etc are great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

We have no bath. Our toddler takes showers and had a plastic baby bath when he was an infant. It's grand rly.

simu wrote: »
    We have no bath. Our toddler takes showers and had a plastic baby bath when he was an infant. It's grand rly.
    True they adapt with what they have and will enjoy it as such. But the bath is a sensory experience. The only downside to the bath is that it needs constant supervision. But it is worth it.

A good thing about a bath is it needs preperation which the child enjoys participation in... i.e. putting in the bubble bath stuff, choosing toys etc. My little one plays with the bubbles shoves them in my face for fun, washes the toys hair and pretends to find new ways of stressing me out by shoving her face under the water pretending to swim!

Plus when I am washing her hair she gets water in her eyes 'MY EYES DADA MY EYES! I protect her little eyes with 'head back' during the rinse, plus she has her own little towel which she holds on her forehead for protection against the dreaded water attack.

The bath is a learning / bonding experience in a way. I wouldn't give up my memories of this process to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Having no bath in the bathroom will make your house less saleable to families; if you take it out, be prepared to put it back before you try & sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Children love playing in baths and a shower doesn't compare.

I wouldn't buy a property that didn't have a bath. We've got a bathroom with a bath and shower upstairs and a wet room downstairs. The children had great fun in the bath when they were small plus it had a much more calming effect on them before they went to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks all...... hopefully thats enough to convince him!

To be honest I hadn't even thought of the fun/bonding aspect, was thinking more along the practical lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

A bit of a silly question, but don't you need to shower kids after the bath anyway? To get rid of the suds?

I personally only take a bath very occasionally (have small, old, icky bath) when in a hotel or something and always have a quick rinse getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

You'd be crazy to take the bath out, every TV makeover programme i have ever seen has said it is a disaster for the resale value of your house, any way your baby will love it and what about all those long lovely soaks for yourself in a few months time when you just need relax your tired back for a few minutes, bliss!! BTW congrats and best of luck.

the 'resale value of the house' would be the last thing on my mind if it was my family home, being honest....

sillysocks wrote: »
    Thanks all...... hopefully thats enough to convince him!

To be honest I hadn't even thought of the fun/bonding aspect, was thinking more along the practical lines.
    Just caught the little one today enjoying an immersive experience in the bath. She had her head almost entirely immersed in the water. All that was visible was her nose eyes and mouth. She was enjoying it as an immersive experience.

I told her off, and told her that she should not do it again, 'why not dada' she asked, i replied 'because it is dangerous'. 2mins later she did it again (I was constantly checking by calling out out to her). When she did not reply I rushed in to find her again playing her sensory depravation game i.e. ears under water so she didn't answer me by not hearing me.

Kids do this, be aware of it and supervise the bathtime constantly. As much fun as the bathtime is it is still something that should be heavily supervised and definately not taken for granted. the little one will always do the unpredictable thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just caught the little one today enjoying an immersive experience in the bath. She had her head almost entirely immersed in the water. All that was visible was her nose eyes and mouth. She was enjoying it as an immersive experience.

My DD does this sometimes, I am always in attendence when they are in the bath anyway so I just let her do it.
    It is part of learning, and I think she is better off learning to control her breathing and floatation skills than not understanding how to float with her head just under the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ebmma wrote: »
    A bit of a silly question, but don't you need to shower kids after the bath anyway? To get rid of the suds?

how much suds are you using in the bath! It's not a car you're washing;)

My opinion, keep the bath, you'll be thankful down the line...bath time is a fun thing for little ones.

how much suds are you using in the bath! It's not a car you're washing;)

oh, but all the fun is in the suds!!! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kaybe

Oh, keep the bath!

Not just from a practical basis, but I wouldn't swap all those hours of enjoyment for anything. When the kids are cranky and wound up, throwing them into the bath will help you to get some peace and tranquillity back. It immediately lifts the mood.
    I throw them in, and then sit on the loo and relax... maybe even get to read the paper for the first time all day...

You can always redo the bathroom in 2 years time if needed. If ye discovered that yere little one is fine with a shower and doesn't like the bath, then you could take out the bath and go with shower option. But, wouldn't ye be right pee'd off if ye pull out the bath and then in a years time realise that the bath would be of great benefit with the little one? Ye'd be kicking yereselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My kids (3 & 4) go through phases of wanting showers & then wanting baths -often one wants a shower & the other a bath & visa versa. If we only had a shower & had only ever had a shower then they would be none the wiser & enjoy their showers only but they definitely both love playing, floating, tobogganing down the sides of, splashing, pouring and so on that goes on in the bath and knowing how much they enjoy that now, I would have to have a bath in our house. hth :)

• Advertisement

You would be totally crazy to get rid of the bath.

When I had my daughter the house we owned at the time only had a shower and to be honest it was a nightmare, fine for the first little while, baby bath etc but I wouldn't ever choose not to have a bath with a child. Showers are great for quick washes but baths are definitely preferable.

Aside from practical reasons, kids just love baths!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

We have just got rid of Bath about 6 months ago. We would not go back. Its better without it and if you get a large one 2 people easily fit in. You still have more floor space. space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Our little one ( 3.5Y ) had showers this summer ( no hot water in the house ) but will now be getting baths in the winter.

Last year we switched on the water to give her a bath.

She loves the bath !!

When we were buying a house about 8 yrs ago I had a bit of a row with an estate agent ..... she was showing us round , saying what a grand family house it was blah blah blah.

There was no bath !! ..... I basically said , how had this be a family house without a bath ? ... She was lost for words to be honest , I explained that showering a 6 month / 1 year old / 18 month old was not an option !

Advertisement