Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Make Up Counter @ BT

Options
  • 17-10-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I need 2 get my make up done for a wedding in 2 weeks!! I'm undecided as to whick counter i should get it done at. MAC are booked out that day so I was thinking Chanel!! Has any one had any experience with them?? Or which counters are good in BT?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Mind me asking which BT you'll be using? Are you looking for neutral make up or a bit dramatic?

I've only used Chanel foundation and like it. Haven't had a make up session though.

I've used Bobbie Brown and find them very good! They listen and actually do what you want and describe.

Dior are very good too! Great foundation and nice eye palettes.
    As do Laura Mercier.

For something similar to MAC, maybe try Benefit? I find them very girlie and have lovely products.

Smashbox is one I've heard a lot about recently. Very good products, similar to MAC, great colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 looney-toone

The reason I say BT is because i live in Galway and they have a limited amount of counters!!

I think I'd like to go a "bit" dramatic but nothing OTT!!

Think I'm going to go 4 Chanel... There foundations seem to be long lasting :) Save me topping up all day!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

The Nars staff are terrible in BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Cool, the reason I ask is I used to work in BT Galway.

Sinead in Dior is great for dramatic eyes, she can do the dark eye look really well (Even according to designer Joanne Hynes!)

Brenda in Chanel is good, but in fairness you can't go wrong with any of the girls in Chanel, they're all very good.

If your looking for foundation that'll last all day, you can't go wrong with Double Wear by Estee Lauder!

Theres no NARS in Galway, so you don't have to worry about that!

When booking with MAC, you usually need to book a month, sometimes longer, in advance.

Matt O'Flaherty do Smashbox, I've hear dthe one in Knocknacarra is very good.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why don't you get a professional makeup artist to do your makeup? A lot (maybe most) of the counter staff in BT aren't even professional makeup artists...this is particularly evident in the staff on the MAC counter in Grafton Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Cutevelvet

I dont agree I found the Nars staff really good in BTs - I have always found them really helpful - I use a few Nars products and they have always guided me in the right direction. I do agree with eth0 the Mac staff do not seem to have any training. If you are looking to go to BTs try the Giorgio Armani counter. All their make up products are really good esp the foundation. Just a suggestion - why not go to Brown Sugar or Make up Forever as an alternative - they are both in the same area and have some really good in-house Make Up Artists....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Try Blush, it's down near Quay st. A friend of mine got her makeup done there for her Debs last year and it was really nice. I think it was a little more expensive than the counters in Brown Thomas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Cutevelvet wrote: »
    I dont agree I found the Nars staff really good in BTs - I have always found them really helpful - I use a few Nars products and they have always guided me in the right direction. I do agree with eth0 the Mac staff do not seem to have any training. If you are looking to go to BTs try the Giorgio Armani counter. All their make up products are really good esp the foundation. Just a suggestion - why not go to Brown Sugar or Make up Forever as an alternative - they are both in the same area and have some really good in-house Make Up Artists....:o

Jaysus, no! Armani is one of the worst luxury brand of make-up I've ever worked with. Okay maybe not so much the foundation (I know loads of ppl like it) but the eye shadow is shocking. I hated working with it. For the price you pay, it's crap. End of.

MAC staff get a week long basic training, which in my opinion was very good (I studied make-up for 2 yrs) but it's whether the 'artist' uses the training. They also get training throughout the year.

Some of the make-up artists in Brown Sugar are from Armani and MAC counters, just so you know. ;)

You're better off looking at the artist themselves and seeing how they do their own make-up and asking for something similar. Or if you have a picture bring it in to show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cutevelvet

Thanks Larianne I have used the Armani foundation for a while but the colour I use has gone out of production everywhere and cant get it and haven't been in to the counter in a while. I also have an eyeshadow which for me is okay. Nars Blusher is fab as is their lip gloss. Would love some tips on what products you find good and use on your clients (particularly interested in long wearing, long lasting).

On another note, I am normally fairly okay with all make up products but have recently become allergic to stuff I have been using for years (seems to be lipstick, eyeshadow and all foundation, in fact everything) have tried my usual Estee Lauder, Armani and also Chanel foundation and they all seem to irritate my skin (dry patches on chin and swelling eyelids). Have you any recommendation on which brands foundation etc (in fact will probably have to change all my make up) that has good ingredients (i.e. non-irritating)?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

eth0_ wrote: »
    Why don't you get a professional makeup artist to do your makeup? A lot (maybe most) of the counter staff in BT aren't even professional makeup artists...this is particularly evident in the staff on the MAC counter in Grafton Street.

Actually all the staff in MAC in BTs on Grafton st are fully trained make up artists. Only the very odd time (maybe once every 2 years) have they taken on a non-make up artist an even at that they still go through intensive training before starting work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement