Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breed suggestions

Options
  • 17-10-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a second dog. I've been looking on various pound websites and keep being drawn to certain restricted breeds. Not because they're restricted but just because of their looks or personality. Saw a gorgeous RottiexCollie on one site!! The problem with this is that I hate the idea of having to abide by the restrictions but know I would feel obliged to. Obviously if I'm looking for a rescue then I can't be too choosey about breed but I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about a breed that's medium sized with loads of personality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

If you really like the rottie/ collie, I would say go for it! I got a rottie/ lab x from the dspca 2 years ago, he's a gentle giant.

The only restrictions you have to be concerned about is for him to wear a muzzle and if you plan to have him off the lead. I know alot with resticted breeds don't bother with muzzles, and don't get hazzle about it. We bought a halti for Ben because he used to pulled on the lead and the dspca told me it's acceptable to use as muzzle, it is very disceet and doesn't stop him from drinking.

With regards as to having him of the lead, you do have to be careful where you do it, I use the local football fields when there is no one around, and up the mountains on the wkend.

Some people can be afraid when they first see him, but after he starts to nuzzle them! they can see his gentle nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

We went for a medium sized restricted breed with buckets of personality - a staffy.

Bonkers dog. I've pretty much stopped watching TV and just watch her do her thing. (And there's always something on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I was so strict with my staffie at first, now my rule is. If shes on the lead, no muzzle, if shes off the lead, she has her muzzle.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I have a 14 week old Rottie pup at the moment, she's breeming with personality and she is my third dog. She will be out on her first walk on Wednesday and I would agree with the previous poster, she will be muzzled when off the lead and unmuzzled when leashed. I don't agree with dogs being walked completely on the leash especially a dog like a Rottweiler so I think a muzzle is a must.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tweenas

We have a golden cocker spaniel and they are an excellent breed. They are child friendly, not to big or to small with bags of personality. A great all rounder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

lrushe wrote: »
    I have a 14 week old Rottie pup at the moment, she's breeming with personality and she is my third dog. She will be out on her first walk on Wednesday and I would agree with the previous poster, she will be muzzled when off the lead and unmuzzled when leashed. I don't agree with dogs being walked completely on the leash especially a dog like a Rottweiler so I think a muzzle is a must.:)

You dont have to muzzle them until they are 6 months so i wouldnt be putting a muzzle on a pup. Also, i own a rottie and i dont muzzle him, instead i use a dogmatic headcollar, much kinder looking and not as restrictive as a muzzle, i will never muzzle my dog unless i am stopped or fined.

So many people dont know that some dogs are meant to be muzzled and the first thing they will think when they see a dog muzzled is that its viscous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The head collars are great, it's the only way I can comfortably walk my dog who is a lab/staff or a staffador as I like to call him. If you adopt the collie/rott it you could call it a collieweiler - nobody will have anything bad to say about a collieweiler, it sounds too cute :D.

With regards to off lead walking, we tend to drive places to find good offlead areas, (see my recent post in the off topic thread, found a gem recently) but IMO it's worth it for whatever breed of dog you have to be able to give them miles of forrestry to run around in. Good for us as well to get out into the wilds for a few hours a couple of times a week. Really, I was worried too about the restricted breed but most people show nowhere near the ignorance you expect. I've never had trouble TBH.

DISCLAIMER: made up breed names were not meant seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Really, I was worried too about the restricted breed but most people show nowhere near the ignorance you expect. I've never had trouble TBH.

+1 I have never had any problems from anyone with my staffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier - Best personality of any dog ever, stay like puppies till their deathbed. Be prepared to comb their hair though. Pic of my guy below and another one with an elder whiter wheaten. They end up with the silkiest hair that doesn't shed. Nice sized, clever so easy to train and very few problems due to good breeding practicies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

how about a boxador! (Boxer x Labrador) i got one, at least we thinks he's lab/boxer - he gentle when he needs to be and scare's the pants of anyone who comes near the house ;o) great dog, doesn't mind if he's in his bed or out the back or anything, just happy to be him i think

• Advertisement

Paul91 wrote: »
    how about a boxador! (Boxer x Labrador) i got one, at least we thinks he's lab/boxer - he gentle when he needs to be and scare's the pants of anyone who comes near the house ;o) great dog, doesn't mind if he's in his bed or out the back or anything, just happy to be him i think
    Boxador :D I love it. How big is he?

EDIT: My dad, who is of the old school frame of mind, is of the opinion that lab and lab crosses are pretty hard to handle. I have found with Harley, that he is very difficult when he gets excited, and he gets excited over everything. Now when this was predicted to me, I went "pish, sure it depends on how he's dicisplined". Not the case. He's mad as a brush. Apparantly a personality trait of both a staff and a lab. What is your fellas personality like?

Boxador :D I love it. How big is he?

EDIT: My dad, who is of the old school frame of mind, is of the opinion that lab and lab crosses are pretty hard to handle. I have found with Harley, that he is very difficult when he gets excited, and he gets excited over everything. Now when this was predicted to me, I went "pish, sure it depends on how he's dicisplined". Not the case. He's mad as a brush. Apparantly a personality trait of both a staff and a lab. What is your fellas personality like?

weighs in about 80lbs and he's a loon, even now at 4/5 years of age he'll think nothing of running round the garden for no other reason than it's there to be run round, if he's playing he's apt to run through you rather than round you - he also bounces of walls, fence, hedges! we nick named him bang bang - cos he's always wacking his tail of everything making it bang bang ;o) love him to bits

used to have a lab/collie cross, most lovable, obedient loyal dog i have ever known

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pig2twig

Get a greyhound - fabulous pets.
    We have a little fawn and she's a darling. She had a rough life but we've had her nearly 6 month now and her playful side is beginning to emerge.
    She needs a LOT of sleep and is happiest just sitting around with us.
    She's very very sweet and follows us around from room to room.
    By their nature and from being bred by and exposed to humans from such an early age, they are very biddable and friendly.

Greyhounds are fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Yep, I second a small greyhound or a lurcher. Lots of them in rescues and they make fantastic pets.

I couldn't recommend Orchard Greyhounds highly enough - I have never experience such amazing aftercare and support - and I volunteered with the DSPCA!

www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com

pig2twig wrote: »
    I couldn't recommend Orchard Greyhounds highly enough - I have never experience such amazing aftercare and support - and I volunteered with the DSPCA!

www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com
    +1 fantastic operation and run by an amazingly devoted lady.

Paul91 wrote: »

Actually Rudy on that page is a little bull lurcher and a lovely boy to boot.

Second Orchard Greyhound Sanctuary too, brilliant place and the woman who runs it is a fountain of knowledge on all things sighthound related. Am down there a few times a year so get to meet most of the dogs. Did you adopt from there pig2twig? And if so which one?

OMG I've just spent the last 10 minutes looking at all those pages *MISTAKE*
    I want another!

PS on Orchard - Murphy is our Peanut's brother and we fostered him for a while. GORGEOUS!

• Advertisement

Aww Peanut, has to be the cutest name ever! Murphy is a beautiful boy, in fact, they all are :)

pig2twig wrote: »
    OMG I've just spent the last 10 minutes looking at all those pages *MISTAKE*
    I want another!

PS on Orchard - Murphy is our Peanut's brother and we fostered him for a while. GORGEOUS!

be careful - i wanted another, i ended up with 7 ;o) now have 9 dogs (6 5 week old puppies) - am i tired

andreac wrote: »
    You dont have to muzzle them until they are 6 months so i wouldnt be putting a muzzle on a pup. Also, i own a rottie and i dont muzzle him, instead i use a dogmatic headcollar, much kinder looking and not as restrictive as a muzzle, i will never muzzle my dog unless i am stopped or fined.

So many people dont know that some dogs are meant to be muzzled and the first thing they will think when they see a dog muzzled is that its viscous.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I won't be muzzling her until she is older, not sure when exactly but there will come a day in the next few months when I will muzzle her, not for anyone elses protection but her own. There is so much bad feelings towards some restricted breeds that I don't want to give anyone an oppurtunity to make any complaints bout her!

lrushe wrote: »
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I won't be muzzling her until she is older, not sure when exactly but there will come a day in the next few months when I will muzzle her, not for anyone elses protection but her own. There is so much bad feelings towards some restricted breeds that I don't want to give anyone an oppurtunity to make any complaints bout her!
    lrushe, would you consider a halti? It is accepted as a muzzle and is great for lead training. (Just be sure to get it properly fitted as a badly fitted one can irritate their eyes).

lrushe, would you consider a halti? It is accepted as a muzzle and is great for lead training. (Just be sure to get it properly fitted as a badly fitted one can irritate their eyes).

Yeah I'm open to suggestions, like I said its more for her safety than anyone elses, to be honest it annoys me to have to put one on her as I am spending alot of time socialsing and training her plus I have her booked into a training school for four weeks of obedience training to make sure she is well adjusted, but if it protects her...............................!

Advertisement