Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will McClays corner be called now !!

Options
  • 17-10-2009 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

I see McClays in Stranolar is closing down.. wonder what the corner will be called now... I see a new Indian restaurant opened just across the road.. I don't think saying...

"..just go up the street and turn left at Monsoon Corner for Letterkenny".

has the same ring to it.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irish1967 wrote: »
    I see McClays in Stranolar is closing down.. wonder what the corner will be called now...
    McClay's roundabout ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

muffler wrote: »
    McClay's roundabout ;)
    That's wishful thinking surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

I think It will remain Mc Clays corner for a long time to come.Tradition takes a long time to pass.

'The T junction that should have been a roundabout only due to the fact that theres not enough room to build one because a local county councilor got permission to build a petrol station in the middle of the fkn road ' - is far too long a title for this corner and i can never see it catching on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

byte wrote: »
    That's wishful thinking surely?
    It does open up possibilities for the council though should they and/or the NRA decide to buy it. There's also a small building attached to the lower side (main st.) of the shop which is or used to be a flat which is also owned by McClays and next to that again was a substantial house which was up for sale some time ago but cant recall if it was ever sold or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Yes muffler, good thinking.I never thought of that possibility.If the Mc Clay family did decide to sell up, it could solve a lot of problems at this junction.

It angers me greatly most evenings, sitting there in a tail back of traffic in the biggest bottle neck between Derry and Galway.It is a prime example of the problems that have plagued this country in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I dont think the council will ever do anything to improve the junction, they'll always say that the bypass will take away a lot of the problem, but when will the bypass be ever built??

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Senna wrote: »
    I dont think the council will ever do anything to improve the junction, they'll always say that the bypass will take away a lot of the problem, but when will the bypass be ever built??
    I'm going with 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

byte wrote: »
    I'm going with 2019.

ever the optimist:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Talking of closures - according to the Irish Times this week recievers have been called in to the Lifford firm we spoke of on the Donegal Board a few weeks ago !

Who needs newspapers when you have boards.ie:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

Johnstons corner? he lived there from 1880 to 1932 long before mc Clays ever started

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭cmf86

Some people do call it Johnstons corner, i think that is actually the correct one to use instead of McClays, but McClays shop has been there along time aswell so it will still be called either one of them id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Senna wrote: »

Normal service has resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny nothing she has ever said before has mmade a blind bit of difference, what makes her think she can help now

http://www.highlandradio.com/news.php?articleid=000005096

Tanaiste Mary Coughlan says Twin Towns Bypass must go ahead Oct 29, 9:14 am

The Tanaiste Mary Coughlan has said every effort must now be made to ensure that the Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass goes ahead following a decision by An Bord Pleanala to reject the current plans.

There was wide spread shock at the announcement yesterday which is seen as a major setback for the by-pass which was due to open in 2013.

An Bord Pleanála has called for the scheme to be redesigned and a new EIS to be carried out highlighting road safety and environmental protection as its principal concerns.

Mary Coughlan has already spoken to the NRA and county manager to discuss the issue and says the problems identified must be addressed as soon as possible.

Advertisement