Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal-related courses? (part-time, or 1 yr full-time)

Options
  • 17-10-2009 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

A friend of mine is interested in working with animals, not sure specifically what area, but with animals generally :)

He's 25 and working full-time in a job he'd rather not stay in for the rest of his life, so he's looking at his options.

The likes of veterinary nursing would be out of the question as the course is too long. He also wouldn't necessarily have to be going for a career as an actual vet ! Just something that would improve his chances of working in that area.

Another friend did the PLC cert in Animal Health Care in Dun Laoghaire. Would this be worthwhile?
    http://www.dlcfe.ie/07AH6.html

Any similar courses?

Thanks alot

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

There is a veterinary assistant course in killester college that is supposed to be really good! go to www.killestercollege.ie . It is a one year course and when he is done he will be qualified to work in a vets as an assistant, run a dog kennels, be a zookeeper and loads of other animal related jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Veterinary nursing isn't too long. The course in st.johns college in cork is two years and is recognised by the veterinary council of ireland.

The first year is Animal Care and is 4days a week in college and 1 day work experience. Following on from that there is the option to go into Animal grooming, Veterinary nursing or Animal Management for a year, which is 3days a week in college and 2 days a week work experience.

http://www.stjohnscollege.ie/index.php?pageID=42

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'd recommend he gets work experience in a vetinerary surgery before he makes any decisions. Not saying this is your friend, but a lot of ppl have an idealised idea of what working with animals entails - i.e. rubbing fluffy bunnys rather than assisting at an amputation or cleaning poo all day.

It can be a real eye-opener!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

i did the course in killester 3 years ago it is a very good course there is the same course in bray but over two years if he goes for it tell him to look hard for a good place to do work exp in the area he wants because in most cases they offer u a job at the end ! this didnt happen for me :(:( im still looking for my dream job !! :rolleyes: hope this helps !!

Advertisement