Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of a wasp nest......?

Options
  • 17-10-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

This morning I noticed a wasp nest in the garden. It's on/near/under the ground below some shrubs - I didn't get too close cos I'm a chicken :D It wasn't there last week and I was surprised it appeared this late in the season. Maybe that's normal.

Anyway, I need rid of it as it's 2 metres from the children's swings. What's the best way to tackle this without getting stung or calling out a pro. I know they'll be dead once the colder weather arrives but in the meantime I'd like to eliminate them so the kids can play in the garden.

I've a lot of shrubs growing in the same place so any solution cannot involve contaminating the soil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

you need
    a plastic carrier bag
    a piece of strong stick
    a lamp
    you go out in the dark
    you place the carrier bag around the nest
    you knock the nest into the bag
    you seal the bag
    you dispose of the sealed bag in a manner you think is most suitable
    hopefully you are not afraid of the dark
    if so you get the kids to do the job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP be careful this time of year as wasps are much more aggressive and can sting multiple times so keep kids away. I've some experience of removing underground nests and my best method is fix a firelighter to a nail attached to the end of a bamboo cane.

Insert the burning firelighter into the cavity cretaing a little smoke in the process. You may have to prod the area to dismantle the hive with another bamboo cane. Repeat two or more times, depends how large the hive is. As a precaution, do this just before Dusk, and have aerosol ready just in case you have a few late returnees etc.

Check next day for any survivors otherwise wash area well with water hose.

This works a treat and costs very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Power washer. Job done:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vanzy

hi,:o petrol yor best bet,but be safe?

Advertisement