Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas Lights

Options
  • 17-10-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I read in the bray people that there wont be any xmas lights goin up this year! I think its sad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

Yeah i read that, it's a shame. I always liked the Xmas lights, old and new. Not enough money in the coffers, very few donations from the small businesses i hear. There are very few shops left in the town to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I don't blame some of the businesses to be honest. They are getting charged massive rates by the council and the rent on some of the shops is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sc01

Yea i suppose its just not affordable anymore, it will be strange without them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I think its really sad - I used to manage a store in Bray & everyone donated to the lights. It unfortunately shows the bad financial state of many shops & also the few shops that are left cant pay it all amongst them. I remember being about 3 or 4 & my dad bringing us up to see them being switched on. I have been there for the switch on every year since - even nipping out of work just to see it ! Nostalga..... I have done the same with my children too.. Will be so strange this year really - ill have to make do with the snow in Jims on christmas eve lol

I was in the town with my 6 yr old recently. She was going along - thats closed, thats closed, - Mammy we should go to Dublin. Unfortunately thats the problem - everyone went to Dublin, or Dundrum, of Liffey.....
    I try my best to shop local but it is getting depressing & 1 by 1 they are closing down so choice is at the minimum...

Advertisement