Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two different edits for C&C

• 17-10-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

It's been quite a while since I asked for some opinions from everyone. These are two from this evening, not sure about them kinda like the black and white. What you think?

Thanks

1.BA3D3CF6B8A34F88A13FA151DE80D85C-800.jpg

2.237F092599F943C68A492C203C53BB02-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

mmmm........difficult, I was gonna say B&W, but then the subject (the boat) stands out more to me in the color version, ie. the details are more vivid !

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Looking at them again, your right there is more detail in the colour one.
    Thanks

Simon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Surprisingly I prefer the colour version too.

Would loose the orange line in the top right of the frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Yep Colour.

Thanks AnimalRights and Cabansail.

24FC0500598E4CAEA2C80373640D8F08-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I like it but I find the bokeh ugly, but thats not your fault its the lens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I like the B&W version the most, the colour version doesn't really "do" anything for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'm edging towards the colour version as they are now.

To me for the black and white to work, it needs a bit of punch to lift it. I actually think it needs to be more stark in b/w - you could try up'ing the contrast or apply a little s curve. Add more in the shadows. Burn life into it. It will give a harsher feel to it. It will introduce drama and roughness to it. IMHO it would give the image character. A small vignette may work well here too in order to make the subject stand out.

But a warning - the above suggestion won't be to everyone's taste.

Have fun with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I like the colour, maybe slightly less saturation would keep the focus on the boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I was thinking similar to ghost here, but how about selective saturation? raise the saturation of the boat or drop the saturation of the background or selective colour saturation, I thin the shot hasnt reached its full potential, with the right treatment in can turn out to be a very raw aged looking shot, the boat just needs a bit of enhancement to get it there.

Any chance of doing it without the border? I feel the bulky black border is nto doing it justice.

• Advertisement

Cheers I'll have a go with some of those suggestions tonight and post back.

Simon

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

just a question re the 'bokeh' as its refered to here (search what is bokeh here for that story hehe) did you apply sharpening to the image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i cant tell if the B&W or the colour are better! for me, my eye stops going further than the bow/prow whatever you call it right at the start /front /foreground of the photograph so the rest is lost in the out of focus area, i had to look again to see the rest of the photograph, so maybe the colour! - i dislike the blur in this sorry.

Yea I think I applied sharpening to it, and as far as the blurring that was the effect I was after shot at f2.8. I see what you mean though,Fionn by not being able to follow the line of the boat back.
    AnCatDubh here is my attempt with curves better? and STG I will have a go with your suggestions later when I get back.
    Cheers everyone.

A5D39D4B1C6B433ABA081ECA90BC63FD-800.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think the dodgy 'bokeh' is caused by the sharpening. create a layer, just select the boat and apply sharpening, should clean up the 'bokeh' nicely... i think

I think I have used all your suggestions and this is what I came up with. It looks better than the first few alright cheers again.

Simon

0B51264A4FDA48B29DE202350C4E3FFC-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The second black and white is a vast improvement imho on the first black and white - lots of drama and character and more detail evident in the timbers. A personal opinion but I don't think the border is setting the thing off. If you were hell bent on having a border then imho it would need to be chunkier and perhaps a pale grey / off white line directly around the image before the border is applied. Web mightn't be the best of formats for viewing such an image. I suspect a really good print of it would be very nice.

BUT have to say that you've done a nice re-edit on the colour version and I quite like the extra saturation plus more of the detail being brought out.

in the right middle ground... whats going on there?

in the right middle ground... whats going on there?

Fixed :)

Last one I promise :)

3C34CA8AA86C4875BEE01627A4E0D82B-800.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement