Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law

Options
  • 17-10-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

I just graduated from a masters in the arts and I was thinking about doing law. Would have to go back start again as an undergrad, or other forms of entry for graduates into law courses?
    cheers
    LC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

If you want to practice in law you have to qualify as either a barrister or a solicitor.

The best way to find out is to contact the bar council of Ireland or the Law Society of Ireland and they will outline the position.

You will not need to do a full undergraduate degree in law, but it's still a long enough slog.

Good luck, hopefully by the time you qualify the jobs market will be better for law professionals.

Smokey

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

The qualification you will need is an LL.B in Irish Law. You can do this in two years at a postgraduate, or you can take an entire course... essentially, as listed above, you'll proceed from here onto becoming either a lawyer or a solicitor and sit either the Kings Inn or the Law Society of Ireland exams.

It's a long route but a good one if you like it.

_Moved from Graduate to Postgraduate_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

I am thinking about doing Law as well. I have a First in Journalism and the industry does not look too healthy in general. I understand Law in this country is hard to get work in but I am organising to move to Oz full time in the next couple of years. My qs is, is it possible to do the LLB part time and if so how long would it take?

Cheers

Advertisement