Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why am I losing my EXIF?

• 17-10-2009 10:17pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

I'm shooting RAW and when I'm developing them I can see all the EXIF to the side of my program. I convert the RAW to a TIFF, process it in GIMP and save a version as a JPEG. Then when I upload it to pix.ie there's no EXIF info in the image.

What am I doing wrong?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

With the JPG, when saved from the gimp if you right click on the file and go to properties and click the details tab. Is the exif present here?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

No, it says no exif info in the image.
    I've just noticed too that when I save my TIFF as a JPEG I use the SAVE AS option and within that there are advanced options, one of which is a box you can tick if you want to save the EXIF. However, this box is grayed out.

This never used to happen when I went straight from RAW to JPEG.

TIFF.... hmnnnnnn, the original spec of tiff doesn't have provision for exif afaik.

Why tiff???? If for the lossless format for saving/reworking then i'd suggest gimp's native xcf format.

This is what I use with the gimp and I have no issues losing exif.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Why tiff???? If for the lossless format for saving/reworking then i'd suggest gimp's native xcf format.

This is what I use with the gimp and I have no issues losing exif.

As a rookie I listen to everyone and someone here suggested I should go RAW - TIFF - JPEG rather than RAW - JPEG. It was then I noticed I was losing the EXIF. I've loads more to do from today so I'll try your suggestion and see how I go. Thanks for the advice.

Update: Just discovered that I can't save as anything other than TIFF, JPEG or Bitmap! I'm using an Olympus and I'm using the Olympus Master software to convert the RAW files. The options for Tiff are Exif-Tiff or just plain old TIFF. I've tried both ways but neither seem to keep the EXIF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

As a rookie I listen to everyone and someone here suggested I should go RAW - TIFF - JPEG rather than RAW - JPEG. It was then I noticed I was losing the EXIF. I've loads more to do from today so I'll try your suggestion and see how I go. Thanks for the advice.

Update: Just discovered that I can't save as anything other than TIFF, JPEG or Bitmap! I'm using an Olympus and I'm using the Olympus Master software to convert the RAW files. The options for Tiff are Exif-Tiff or just plain old TIFF. I've tried both ways but neither seem to keep the EXIF.

Well as some one who has been using Olympus for going on 5 years,I'd say your first problem is Olympus master, it's the pits, the only reason I keep it (and only on an old XP machine) it in case I need to update the firmware on a body or lens, it must be one of the worst pieces of software I've ever seen, I'd strongly advise you to find some other way to open the ORF's into the gimp (ufraw seems to be recommended).

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    I'd strongly advise you to find some other way to open the ORF's into the gimp (ufraw seems to be recommended).

Just read some of the info on ufraw and it doesn't support Olympus ORF Raw....
    Embed EXIF data - UFRaw can save the EXIF data to JPEG output for a few supported formats. These formats include Canon (CRW, CR2), Nikon (NEF), Pentax (PEF), Samsung (PEF), Sony (SR2, ARW), Fuji (RAF) and Adobe's DNG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

You could try http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/ to batch convert to dng if your body is on the list of supported cameras.

Just read some of the info on ufraw and it doesn't support Olympus ORF Raw....

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Cameras.html

All the Olys are in there, I had a quick look last night and it opened my e510 ORF fine, give it a go.....

Edit: saves exif to jpeg as well, I just checked.

The dcraw plugin supports lots of RAW types including Oly's. I haven't used it (I use UFRAW myself) and I don't shoot Olympus so its more something to try rather than something I know will work. There's an invite on the chaps site, should dcraw not work with your camera then get a RAW to the guy and time permitting he will create one. It's multi platform and a plugin to the Gimp.

nilhg wrote: »
    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Cameras.html

All the Olys are in there, I had a quick look last night and it opened my e510 ORF fine, give it a go.....

+1 for UFRaw. A little quirky on the front end but with a little bit of use it will become second nature..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

the other option is to transfer the exif info manually from the raw to jpeg
    not very convenient though
    http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

Thank crunchie the search facility is back.
    Found this thread and I've just downloaded UFRaw as recommended. Thanks folks, it's the bee knees so far.

Have a look at Raw Therapee as well, gets loads of good mentions on the oly forum on dpreview.

Also it's recommended to use vng-4 demosaicing for Oly cameras, not quite sure where I saw that but a quick google should confirm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Try closing all of the windows before you go to bed, and then check first thing in the morning to see if it is still there.

Advertisement