Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'99 Hornet. Am I wrong to think of buying one?

• 17-10-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi Guys!

Here comes the time I have the itch to switch my bike and I'm looking at buying a 600cc Hornet. The problem I have is to decide whether to go with post '05 model or something as old as '99.

The money is the main topic. I don't want to spend too much these days and Hornets seems to be quite bulletproof, so my thinking is that I'm not running too big a risk buying a '99 one. Am I wrong?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

fairly bulletproof engines man. Shouldnt be anything wrong with a 99 one. Obviously check it over the same ya would with a 08 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭russki

That was quick! :-)

The bike has full maintenance done on it by Kennedy's guys, so I have no second thought on its being top notch. Previous owner allegedly looked after it very well too.

I guess I just need a bit of encouragement before I commit to buying it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

As long as there is proof of maintainence ya should be grand. 600cc your moving into the right bike size for "tough bikes" engine wise.
    No harm in checking it over anyways. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If you like it, buy it. Kennedys are well established, they might be a little on the expensive side, but they won't sell you a bad bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Hornets are a good unbreakable bike. Not too sure when front wheel changed from a 16" to a 17" but approx 99.
    Hornets are prone to weak rear shock,, so check it.
    Better still get the Faired model (S) to keep the wind away.
    I have one myself,but not my main bike, and i find it a great allrounder and will go around bends as good as some of the more sporty bikes.

• Advertisement

Hornets are a good unbreakable bike. Not too sure when front wheel changed from a 16" to a 17" but approx 99.
    Hornets are prone to weak rear shock,, so check it.

The wheel changed in 2000 model, so this one is with smaller wheel.

How would I check the rear shock? One thing I noticed is that there is no hugger and the spring and the base of the shock has a bit of rust on them. When I asked the man about it, he said it's not bad and there is nothing to worry about and that he give it a touch to clean it up. I would be getting the hugger to cover the wheel and protect suspension.

Is it possible to get fairing separately from somewhere (eBay maybe)? Although, to be honest my Shadow 600 has no fairing or wind shield and I've got used to the winter winds, so it's something I would consider as a good to have item. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

russki wrote: »
    The wheel changed in 2000 model, so this one is with smaller wheel.

How would I check the rear shock? One thing I noticed is that there is no hugger and the spring and the base of the shock has a bit of rust on them. When I asked the man about it, he said it's not bad and there is nothing to worry about and that he give it a touch to clean it up. I would be getting the hugger to cover the wheel and protect suspension.

Is it possible to get fairing separately from somewhere (eBay maybe)? Although, to be honest my Shadow 600 has no fairing or wind shield and I've got used to the winter winds, so it's something I would consider as a good to have item. ;)

If its a naked one you can get a flyscreen, just put one on my CB400 http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=93503&d=1255880541

€50 online, can't go wrong.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    If its a naked one you can get a flyscreen, just put one on my CB400 http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=93503&d=1255880541

€50 online, can't go wrong.

It has flyscreen already. Here is the bike.

Advertisement